Alaska weather?

scp

Lil-Rokslider
Reporting from Fairbanks—at least 11” of snow in the last 72hrs, an inch+ of freezing rain and ice crust on top, and now up to 6 more inches over the next 36hrs. I’ve seen kids ice skating and playing ice hockey on the road—literally. So yes, it is a bit warm right now (high teens, low 20’s, but it warms to snow). We’ve also had 4 days at -40 thus far this winter and a whole boatload in the -30s, so no, it’s still cold.

Guess it depends on your personal definition of what warm and cold are…

It gets colder where I live now (Wyoming) than where I lived in AK, but… The Kenai Peninsula (where I lived) is nothing like Fairbanks. I once went skiing out of Delta Junction thinking I’d get into Caribou. It was a balmy -20°. Ten miles in I ran into some fellows on snow machines. They asked if I was prepared to go another 30 miles on my skis hauling my sled. Around I turned. It was another step in my journey from Cheechako to Sourdough. Got off on a tangent. I miss AK.

You are killing me. I wish the job market would pick up. We love WY (where I’m from originally) but since living in AK for about 12 years we both consider it home. Hell, I’ve been back here for nearly 10 years and still bank with AKUSA.

Antares

WKR
Kodiak hit 67F on Sunday (Dec 26). Broke the record high for the date by 22 degrees. Sixty-seven is a very nice summer day. Absolutely bonkers for December.

Here’s the aftermath of what roads looked like in Fairbanks the other night after the ice/rain storm. This is the road along the Airport East Ramp. Got up to 40 degrees that night.

Attachments

• 0B4909C9-7459-4828-AD76-C8EEB51E1CFE.jpeg
    0B4909C9-7459-4828-AD76-C8EEB51E1CFE.jpeg
    123.4 KB · Views: 50

Htm84

WKR
I just got done cross country skiing in the rain. Little strange for sure

fatbacks

WKR
Took this photo before the wind knocked all the ice off… everything had a quarter to half and inch of ice coating it. Crazy weather for sure. Unfortunately we’ll be dealing with the ice until mid April

ae9c767b716665b092ac50cf46318056.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hodgeman

WKR
Yeah, the weather in the Interior is sucking pretty hard right now.

I've been here 22 years, and this is definitely the worst Interior storm series I've experienced. Some of the coastal stuff was worse, but it wasn't bookended with -40F...

I'm in the valley and the last few days have been closer to what has been normal for the time I've lived here. Hanging right around freezing. Been raining on and off for the last few days. It seems like every winter we get a few of these warm air pushes and it comes with a bit of drizzle. This time it does feel like its more precip than usual. You could literally skate down my street right now without chipping a blade. Another thing is we have by far the most snow at Christmas since I've lived here and we didn't get a good wind storm to clear feeding areas after the last snow before the rain and ice set in. That's what concerns me.

We spent most of November and December 20-30 degrees below average. This is my 9th winter up here and it's been the coldest by a LONG shot. I always tell people I moved up here to escape the North Dakota winters, but this year has been rough.

It’s def been a weird one. I’m here on the Kenai. We had -20° the second week of November and a couple days ago we hit 43°.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gbflyer

WKR
6-15” incoming for N SE tomorrow. Then -15 temps next week forecast. Lots of whining down here. Guess we do have a 99- zip code