Alaska - where to start?

hoff1ck

WKR
Been sifting through the goat forum the last few days with the search function but haven’t turned up much. If I’m asking questions that have already been answered, my bad.

A mountain goat hunt has been my bucket list hunt for a while now. I’ve looked into opportunities in the lower 48 over the past few years, but given the odds I’ve continued to opt out of playing that game. I’ve gotten to the point though where I want to stop saying someday, and just start stashing away some cash to plan to eventually hunt Alaska.

I’m 30 now, I’d like to hunt potentially by time I’m 35-36. Seems like northern Kodiak would keep things under 10-11k, which would be doable. Wondering who I should look at for outfitters, ultimately when I would be able to/should book for something that far out, how much to plan to put down, etc. Obviously pretty early in the planning phase so I don’t know a lot of logistics as far as what I prefer, but would like to get my ducks in a row to start getting a plan in place.

Other options outside of Kodiak welcomed as well too. Know you guys are a wealth of knowledge, so appreciate any insight.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
The entire South East running up the coast and around until you hit Homer, you have to use a guide, so not in danger of picking a location without goats.CCast a broad net this early.

As for outfitters, I'm no help.

OP
H

hoff1ck

WKR
Should probably add I do know this would be a rifle hunt. No preference on time of year necessarily, nor do I have any desire to only shoot a certain caliber goat.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Should probably add I do know this would be a rifle hunt. No preference on time of year necessarily, nor do I have any desire to only shoot a certain caliber goat.
Early September would generally be my choice for weather. Get into late September and depending on the year conditions could be much more technical. Earlier works, but better hide and fewer bugs in September.

OP
H

hoff1ck

WKR
Appreciate the info here, same to those that reached out via PM. Any other info certainly welcomed, but at least have a few places to start looking into.

eamyrick

WKR
Ed Toribio would be near the very top of my list.
While this topic is fresh, do you mind covering where in AK goats are native vs introduced such as Kodiak? I have goats on my several year hunt plans also but would like to hunt them in their native range.

Goats are indigenous to all the coastal mountain ranges (Chugach, Coast Range, Sain Elias, Kenai, etc.), certain islands of the Alexander Archipelago, the Talkeetna Mountains and the Wrangell Mountains.

Dougwise

FNG
Thanks for starting this conversation - I am in the same boat. Im 47 and looking for a reasonably priced goat hunt in a few years.
I would also appreciate any insight on this topic.
Cheers!

Probably a good investment of time and money to attend a few of the outdoor and hunting trade shows like Harrisburg, DSC, SCI, NRA, etc. to meet a few of the different outfitters and guides. I met my guide from Kodiak at the annual DSC convention. Kodiak has some draw tags and some registration tags. Best of luck with your mountain goat hunt. You will have a great time, TheGrayRider.

Mojave

WKR
There is no draw in British Columbia.

That would be my first pick. That and most areas can be driven to. Especially those near Cranbrook.

Cost will be similar.

Northern BC and the Yukon goat hunts and SE Alaska goat hunts will be more expensive. Especially boat based hunts.

buzzy

WKR
Rick Hoskins of Hunt Alaskan Outfitters on Kodiak. If money is no options hands down Bob Milligan out of BC.

I am booked to hunt with Lonesome Dove Outfitters for this september. Dennis seems to run a very successful archery goat hunt. I couldn't find one negative review on his outfit. I was looking at Kodiak because of the cost but my buddy was already booked with Dennis so I chose to go with him. Im not sure I would wait 5 or 6 years to go if you can finically justify it now. Seeing the current rates going up for goats who knows what they will be at then.

ffben

FNG
We hunted with Golden Bear outfitters in Northern BC. Our primary focus was moose but all the other hunters with primary focus on goats were successful.