Alaska Winter Kill

I would guess a lot of creeks and rivers will be cutting new braids and changing their landscapes.

OP
VernAK

VernAK

WKR
I would guess a lot of creeks and rivers will be cutting new braids and changing their landscapes.
I was thinking like Kevin but it appears that much of our melt water perked into the valley gravel probably because the snow arrived prior to the ground freezing deep. I don't see any crises on the Tanana River in this area. The Goodpaster has high water but the creeks flowing out of DCUA aren't any higher than normal. Perhaps the cool spring has prolonged the melt also.

On a brighter note:
ADFG has several cow moose collared in Unit 20A south of Fairbanks. Eighteen cows IIRC. A recent flight reveals that 88% survived the winter and calf survival was 20%. While average calf survival is around 30%, one must remember that is the number remaining from birth. A large number of those calves didn't live 30 days after birth. So it appears that we may see a few bulls this fall.

I’ve been seeing quite a few cows with newborn calves around here lately, and over the course of the last two days there’s been a total of seven different moose come through our yard down at the cabin (Kenai Peninsula).
c86881302f54651ccbc58b1208a32c79.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk