Alaskan Adventure for a Southern Man... Photo Heavy

TEmbry

WKR
Was actually waiting for this forum to spring up before I posted up the story, so no time like the present i guess. I am no stranger to traveling up to Alaska for a DIY hunt, this making the 3rd in 4 years (Kodiak Blacktails in 09 and POW Black Bear in 12). When I began planning this trip, I was apprehensive. The haul road was BY FAR the cheapest route I could take, but from reading online you would think it was the worst hunt on earth. More hunters than Caribou, Road hunting, Caribou moving at 100 mph, etc... I decided to give it a whirl anyway, as stubborn as I am. I was convinced by the logic of a friend who does this trip annually, he said sure you can avoid other people with a fly in.. but if the migration isn't coming through your camp... have a fun camping trip. On the Haul Rd you can pick up and relocate 30-100 miles if need be. I went with the attitude that we would have one hell of a road trip and camping trip, see some awesome sights, and maybe with 8 days of hunting get into bow range of a bou or two. I severely underestimated just how awesome my trip would be.

The trip started with a nearly 800 mile roadtrip north from Anchorage. The drive was nearly as awesome as the hunt itself.

P8020236.jpg

We were super organized heading north to camp...

IMG_2011.jpg

After 7 days in the tundra and breaking camp down in the rain, the ride back quickly became a "throw everything in an we will sort it out later" loading experience...

IMG_2181.jpg

The coolest experience of the trip was meeting a hunting idol of mine, Dr. Jack Frost. Spent an evening at his home listening to stories from the glory days of hunting. His living room was a sight to behold. Very humble guy for all he has accomplished.

IMG_2006.jpg

OP
TEmbry

TEmbry

WKR
On the drive north we passed two wolves right off the gravel road we were traveling... They bedded down at 50 yards. I got excited because in Alaska you can use a more expensive tag to tag a less expensive animal. Caribou tag costs $325 and a wolf tag is $30. I would have GLADLY traded down to get an archery wolf. We rip out the regs to make sure it was in season... No dice... For the unit we were in, wolf season didn't open for another 7 days. Bummer, but a cool experience none the less.

P8030243.jpg

There is no way to put into words just how horrible the bugs were up there. A black cloud surrounding you is an understatement. After our week stint, I counted over 100 mosquito bites when I got back and took my first shower. If DEET causes cancer, I will most assuredly have it now. We drenched ourselves in it multiple times a day, and a face mask was always a must. Here I am grumpily setting up camp because I hadn't adjusted to the bugs yet on Day 1. It was miserable at first, but I didn't even notice them by the end.

IMG_2150.jpg

We got within 5 yards of smaller caribou several times. If you sit dead still, they just don't see you. The bigger older animals were smarter, but these were all yearlings and most likely had never even seen a human before yet.

P8040268.jpg

P8070018.jpg

P8060345.jpg

Mid way through our trip we had a grizzly about 700 yards from camp. A little unnerving, especially with a meat cache hanging nearby... But luckily it never bothered us. I didn't get out of the van to get closer for pics, so you will have to excuse me on these haha.
P8080047.jpg

IMG_2072.png

OP
TEmbry

TEmbry

WKR
IMG_2148-1.jpg

P8020211.jpg

One of the last stretches of paved road. This is right around the town of Coldfoot, which is essentially just a truck stop south of the Brooks.

IMG_2146.jpg

We spotted my bull on day 2, by pure luck really. It was about 1.2 miles off the road... so it was quite the hike packing that big boy out of there. Anyone who has walked across the tundra knows, a mile in the tundra is equal to about 5 on pavement. The sponginess sucks, and it tires you out quickly.

My bull feeding in the distance.

IMG_2154.jpg

The stalk to gun range was easy. I was within 200 yards in 30 minutes. It took an additional 4 hours of belly crawling and waiting to close the final distance. The bull was bedded for hours so I had to just lay there and wait. It finally stood and fed over the hill so I ran to the hill crest and hoped he was in range. I was shocked to find him at SIX yards when I peaked over. I drew back sent a stick through his heart, and he toppled over 30 seconds later about 40 yards down the hill from his bed. Best feeling in the world walking up to a clean bowkill.

P8040286.jpg

Locked/Punched Tags are a beautiful thing.

IMG_2158.jpg

Getting to share it with a best friend since grade school made it all the better.

P8040294.jpg

OP
TEmbry

TEmbry

WKR
We didn't weigh the packs, but I know they were easily north of 90 lbs. I'd guess mine between 100-110. Pretty grueling walk out, but I loved every second of it.

P8040300.jpg

This was our setup which worked well. A sawhorse with a tarp stretched over it to shed water.

IMG_2018.jpg

Sometimes when you look over in the bushes you have an OH **** type of moment...

P8070029.jpg

Then you realize that while still dangerous, it wasn't nearly as bad as the grizzly you first thought it was.

P8070035.jpg

We got within 15 yards of this prehistoric looking beast. Amazing animals.

P8070036.jpg

OP
TEmbry

TEmbry

WKR
We didn't like the style of most of the hunters up there road hunting by cruising around all day every day so we spent our time parked, hiking in a few miles off the road out of sight, and spent our time glassing for animals. The migration hadn't started yet so these were all just resident animals, few and far between. We saw less than 100 animals in 8 days. None the less, we still had plenty of opps at big bulls with enough boot leather worn.

P8070014.jpg

P8060331.jpg

IMG_2075.png

P8090115.jpg

P8080081.jpg

P8080083-1.jpg

P8090113.jpg

G Posik

WKR
Really nice read. Great story any pictures, but you should have got out of the van and got some close ups of the bear! Congrats on the kill.

Glenn

OP
TEmbry

TEmbry

WKR
This bull stood at a towering height at the shoulder, and it was considered small by the locals. Can't wait to return for a moose bowhunt next september!

P8050302.jpg

there are 4 sheep in this photo through the spotting scope. Can you see them all?

P8050305.jpg

And a little perspective on just how far away they really are.

P8050306.jpg

The work never really stops on a backcountry hunt, especially without a guide to do it all for you! lol

P8050316.jpg

P8090088.jpg

After several days, a few misses, a few blown stalks, and more than a few head butting arguments we were down to the wire. Second to last day before we had to head back... We spot Colbys bull crossing the tundra towards us, so he hustles down the pipeline to cut it off while I go and retrieve a monster set of sheds I found.

P8100130.jpg

I catch up with Colby and see he has the bull bedded at 50 yards. This is all you can see of it.

P8100123.jpg

P8100122.jpg

OP
TEmbry

TEmbry

WKR
Once he is settled at 30 yards, I circle out in front of the animal about 150 yards and start whistling to get it to stand up. He shoots and hits it a little too far forward in the shoulder. This is the bull seconds after the shot.

P8100133.jpg

Here is Colby stalking in on the bull for a follow up shot when it bedded down a few hundred yards away. It would have expired, but we want to end it as quickly as possible for the animals sake. Another arrow and it was over in seconds.

P8100145.jpg

The end result. One Proud Kentucky Boy.

P8100153.jpg

We returned to Anchorage that night to relax a few days, get the meat processed, and repack everything for the flights home. My friend Brad was out on a sheep hunt, but let us stay at his house to avoid hotel costs. Great guy.

Enjoying the northern most brewed beer on the Continent, from Fairbanks, AK.

IMG_2186.jpg

We went Glacier viewing about an hour south of Anchorage the next day. Awesome sights.

IMG_2190.jpg

IMG_2091.jpg

They say there are 4 things you gotta do to become a true Alaskan... Kill a bear, catch a king salmon, sleep with a native, and take a piss in the yukon river. I only lack one of these, but I ain't telling which!

P8020230.jpg

A funny weather predictor we found in Anchorage...

IMG_2008.jpg

OP
TEmbry

TEmbry

WKR
Alaska is truly the last frontier. I am a traveler by heart, and I love adventure. I can't WAIT to move up there June 2015. Counting down the days.

I spent my summer working in an Indian Reservation Hospital in New Mexico this summer. I hit up 21 states in 11 weeks, and drove over 10k miles in that time span. Pretty hectic few months, but it was my last free summer as a student, so I made the most of it.

OP
TEmbry

TEmbry

WKR
And one last pic, the final product of all my planning, prepping, and time spent at work saving....

P8040297.jpg

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Great photos and story TEmbry!! So glad you had an awesome trip to our great state! I have lived here my whole life, but never had the opportunity to drive the haul road until this season. The Brooks is an incredible place, and I look forward to many more trips there again in the future. Thanks for sharing...we're you planning a move north before this trip or is that a new development?

CaseyU

WKR
What a great read!!! congratulations to you both. that is a dream trip of mine. Great pictures as well. you guys will have some great stories for the rest of your life!!! thanks for the post

OP
TEmbry

TEmbry

WKR
Great photos and story TEmbry!! So glad you had an awesome trip to our great state! I have lived here my whole life, but never had the opportunity to drive the haul road until this season. The Brooks is an incredible place, and I look forward to many more trips there again in the future. Thanks for sharing...we're you planning a move north before this trip or is that a new development?

Been kicking around the idea since 09 but the career path I'm heading down looks like there is a strong possibility that I can land a residency in Anchorage. If I get it, I'm taking it and never looking back.

pa-pride

FNG
Awesome!!!! That tundra is no joke. We attempted that hunt with rifles last year and came home empty handed. We made it to 6 miles out and threw in the towel. Beautiful country up there!