Alaskan/Canadian Moose Hunt for Dad

nobody

WKR
Happy Monday Everyone! Hope everyone had a great weekend!

I am just putting this out there to start the research process. My 3 younger brothers and I really want to pull together an "adventure" for/with our dad. He has sacrificed so much to give us some great opportunities, carried and dragged us around the woods when we were WAY too young to be out there, helped pack out animals, bought us our first shotguns and muzzleloaders, helped us with gear, and so much more than we could ever repay him for. So, we are wanting to start saving pennies and put together a guided moose hunt for him in either Alaska or Canada. It's the type of thing he's always talked about doing, but would never do for himself, so we want to set it up for him and pay the bill and make it easy for him!

The thing is, I have no idea how to even start researching this stuff. Just punching in stuff like "guided Canadian moose hunt" into the google machine pulls up everything from high dollar outfits to websites that look older than Bill Gates himself. So, I've narrowed down my questions and put them below, hoping I can get a little narrower scope of what exactly I need to watch for.

1. For those of you who have done this before, maybe multiple times, who did you book with, and how did you vet them out?
  2. What do we need to realistically plan on for budget? I know you can spend anything from $5,000 to $50,000 and potentially more, but how much do we really need to be prepared to fork over?
  3. How early do we need to plan on booking?
  4. For those who have done both Canadian and Alaskan, it appears we could go to Canada for less money. Can we still expect some giant bulls in Canada, or will they be similar to his 40" Utah Shiras he killed a couple years back?

I want this to be special, and although my other brothers will likely help pitch in, it appears as if I'm the only one who would go with him to actually hunt. It will probably be the only time he and I get to do this together, so I want to do it right, but I also don't want to have to take out a second mortgage on my house to make it happen. Help? Please?????

12/8 REVISION to answer @GotDraw? questions

Rifle Hunt. I'm an avid mid-long range shooter (confident to 800 yards easy), dad is old school "hold over his back" type hunter, never would shoot beyond about 400. Dad's bow is like 30 years old, so he will NOT be archery hunting.

Not sure about hunt type at this point, he's not really set up to backpack hunt.

Hunting ability is high (in our opinion). Spend lots of time glassing, but also not afraid to go into their beds and shake hands with them. Both of us have good equipment, though dad will need to get some upgraded glass before the trip (part of the "whole package" gift we will give him. He's always wanted some EL's!)

Dad is 50, I'm 26. Dad is an avid competitive road biker, and is arguably twice as fit as the majority of 30 year olds running around the hills every fall. He keeps up with me hiking, although he's a bit stiffer in the morning than I am! I'm a crossfitter, power lifter, runner, and spends lots of time in the mountains shed hunting and hiking and hunting. To be honest, we are by far much fitter than anyone we ever run into while out.

We aren't afraid to hunt hard, but my goal is to definitely get him a moose. He's always wanted it, but he's never treated himself. We want it to be the "whole package." Planning on a 10 ish day hunt, and as cool as Alaska would be, not at all opposed to Canadian to save a bit of $$$, as long as we can still have a once in a lifetime experience together.

Last edited:

GotDraw?

WKR
You need to go into this eyes wide open. First- $5k-$50 is basic cost to hunt.

Then ADD: Commercial Airfare, Bush or Float plane, pilot tip, guide tip.

IF you get a bull, also ADD: Butchering, taxidermy, shipping for meat, shipping for rack. All of the above alone can and will total an additional $5k if you check each box and are in Yukon. A little easier in AK for sure.

Here's how it gets there (for Yukon): Figure $900-$1,500 or so airfare/baggage fees to a commercial airport in Whitehorse. Canada, $1,500-2k tip per guide (if one on one), $1000-$1,500 to Euro mount the skull/rack & crate and ship it to lower 48, $400-600 for butchering and specialty products, $400-600 (easy) to airfreight meat. That's about $5+k w/o adding cost for bush plane or float plane ride + tip.

Good post, but you neglected to share information about your expectations. Rifle or Archery? You want a motor boat hunt, or more backcountry backpacking-difficult hunt? You want a virtual guarantee of a shot opportunity? What are you and your father's ages, levels of conditioning and willingness to make the commitment needed to get in great shape (if the hunt demands it). All the above affect pricing.

East Coast- Newfoundland moose- smaller moose, least expensive hunt- not done it yet so no pricing reference.

Yukon Canada- larger subspecies of moose than Newfoundland. Expect to wait 2yr for a quality outfitter opening. You state you expect to pay $5-50k to hunt moose. Expect to pay about $25k +/- for a Yukon hunt with a quality outfitter on land where you will NOT see anyone else. Ceaser Lake Outfitters is a fabulous Outfitter, top drawer camps at least 5 MILLION acres on their lease- might even be 7 or 9 MILLION. Can't recall, but it's a lot. I dropped a 60" bull, archery with them. Would go again in a heart beat. A buddy of mine has hunted with them at least 5 times, with great success.

Learn more here: Ceaser Lake Outfitters

PM me with questions.

Best,
JL

Last edited:
OP
N

nobody

WKR
You need to go into this eyes wide open. First- $5k-$50 is basic cost to hunt.

Then ADD: Commercial Airfare, Bush or Float plane, pilot tip, guide tip.

IF you get a bull, also ADD: Butchering, taxidermy, shipping for meat, shipping for rack. All of the above alone can and will total an additional $5k if you check each box and are in Yukon. A little easier in AK for sure.

Here's how it gets there (for Yukon): Figure $900-$1,500 or so airfare/baggage fees to a commercial airport in Whitehorse. AK, $1,500-2k tip per guide (if one on one), $1000-$1,500 to Euro mount the skull/rack & crate and ship it to lower 48, $400-600 for butchering and specialty products, $400-600 (easy) to airfreight meat. That's about $5+k w/o adding cost for bush plane or float plane ride + tip.

Good post, but you neglected to share information about your expectations. Rifle or Archery? You want a motor boat hunt, or more backcountry backpacking-difficult hunt? You want a virtual guarantee of a shot opportunity? What are you and your father's ages, levels of conditioning and willingness to make the commitment needed to get in great shape (if the hunt demands it). All the above affect pricing.

East Coast- Newfoundland moose- smaller moose, least expensive hunt- not done it yet so no pricing reference.

Yukon Canada- larger subspecies of moose than Newfoundland. Expect to wait 2yr for a quality outfitter opening. You state you expect to pay $5-50k to hunt moose. Expect to pay about $25k +/- for a Yukon hunt with a quality outfitter on land where you will NOT see anyone else. Ceaser Lake Outfitters is a fabulous Outfitter, top drawer camps at least 5 MILLION acres on their lease- might even be 7 or 9 MILLION. Can't recall, but it's a lot. I dropped a 60" bull, archery with them. Would go again in a heart beat. A buddy of mine has hunted with them at least 5 times, with great success.

Learn more here: Ceaser Lake Outfitters

PM me with questions.

Best,
JL
This is perfect! Thank you! I answered a couple of the questions you posed in my original post, just for clarification. Thank you!!!

GotDraw?

WKR
...I want this to be special, and although my other brothers will likely help pitch in, it appears as if I'm the only one who would go with him to actually hunt. It will probably be the only time he and I get to do this together, so I want to do it right, but I also don't want to have to take out a second mortgage on my house to make it happen. Help? Please?????

.....We aren't afraid to hunt hard, but my goal is to definitely get him a moose. He's always wanted it, but he's never treated himself.
We want it to be the "whole package." Planning on a 10 ish day hunt, and as cool as Alaska would be, not at all opposed to Canadian to save a bit of $$$, as long as we can still have a once in a lifetime experience together.
1) Yukon/Canada moose are the same as AK moose, huge. Biggest subspecies.

2) You will not necessarily save money to hunt in Canada, in fact it may be more expensive. That said, non-Canadian hunters MUST use a guide. Each Outfitter has a leased "Franchise" area from BC or Yukon. These are exclusive, no other outfitter can guide there. Individual Canadians can hunt there, but where we hunted, it was an hour long float plane ride over total wilderness to get to camp. Ceaser Lakes' franchise is literally millions and millions of acres. You fly in on a float plane to a given camp and you will NOT see anyone else. You will see a lot of moose, hunts are 7 days long and you will have plenty of shot opportunities on big bulls. Pretty much 100% success there. Every year. They only take a few dozen moose off the entire franchise each year.

PM me you want more info. I'll share all I can.

Best,

JL

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
I truly respect what you are trying to do for your dad...really good story. The fact that you will be there with him to experience it together will make it even more meaningful for both of you for sure...bull or no bull.

There is so much to learn about moose hunting up here, and it's a huge state with highly varied topography and experiences, e.g., ridge drop-hunt on wheels, lake drop-hunt on floats, etc. I'm sure you already know that an advantage to Alaska is that you don't need to have a guide as a nonresident for moose...you can DIY. However, that's also a steep learning curve to climb. Research this website as much as you can to examine DIY and guided options...they are quite varied up here, and you'll need to understand the use and differences of certain terms, e.g., guided, air-taxi, hunt outfitter-transporter, antler-restricted GMU's, "any bull" GMU's, etc.

As a resident Alaskan, a huge part of hunting for me is the adventure, the experience...bringing home meat is the next highest priority. I share that only because determining the priorities of your trip together is truly the starting point. You mentioned wanting your dad to go home with a bull. If the end product of highest value is a 60+" bull than you might adjust your thinking to a guided hunt, and research those options to maybe increase your chances (not a guarantee). If you're looking for an an adventure experience...getting out in the middle of nowhere, just you and your dad, on a DIY in a location where there are higher concentrations of moose and hunting in an "any bull" GMU, where a few will likely go high 40's", maybe a low/mid-50's" and just maybe bigger if everything aligns just right, then research those options.

I'm sure you've already figured out that a monster bull is never a guarantee, but it IS guaranteed that you and your dad will have an adventure together...that is a for sure guaranteed, so what do you want that adventure together to look like? Once you whittle it down to the experience desired and where, then it's figuring out a reputable hunting resource...and then wading through the waiting list for that transporter, guide, outfitter, etc. I've used the same resource for the past seven years...and I'm already booked for next year.

It is a steep learning curve for sure, but don't get discouraged because the planning and anticipation with your dad is part of the trip as well. You have a truly good purpose for this adventure...good for you!

I've not hunted in Canada. However, I have spent a lot of time in the Yukon and love the people and the wilderness there.

Scottf270

WKR
I've hunted guided in NWT with Lancasters at Nahanni Butte. Great Area, superb guides, great operation, helicopters for access and game retrieval, turn key hunt. They are booked out 2 years and 25 grand a hunter.

I went unguided with Papa Bear Adventures in 2019. I used my experience gained going guided in Canada. Had a great hunt with an awesome partner. Killed two good bulls and had a safe trip. Going back as soon as I can. Cost then all in was 9 grand. Will probably be 12 grand all in now.

My point is, I loved my guided trip. It was great and I learned alot. Gave me confidence going unguided. But I would not go back guided for moose ever again.

Sounds like you and your dad are still young and have some outdoor skills. You can learn a lot here and by doing research and videos etc. Call a reputable transporter, get on the list, prepare, and go hunt. You can do it. Don't procrastinate. Do it!!!!

VernAK

WKR
I truly respect what you are trying to do for your dad...really good story. The fact that you will be there with him to experience it together will make it even more meaningful for both of you for sure...bull or no bull.

There is so much to learn about moose hunting up here, and it's a huge state with highly varied topography and experiences, e.g., ridge drop-hunt on wheels, lake drop-hunt on floats, etc. I'm sure you already know that an advantage to Alaska is that you don't need to have a guide as a nonresident for moose...you can DIY. However, that's also a steep learning curve to climb. Research this website as much as you can to examine DIY and guided options...they are quite varied up here, and you'll need to understand the use and differences of certain terms, e.g., guided, air-taxi, hunt outfitter-transporter, antler-restricted GMU's, "any bull" GMU's, etc.

As a resident Alaskan, a huge part of hunting for me is the adventure, the experience...bringing home meat is the next highest priority. I share that only because determining the priorities of your trip together is truly the starting point. You mentioned wanting your dad to go home with a bull. If the end product of highest value is a 60+" bull than you might adjust your thinking to a guided hunt, and research those options to maybe increase your chances (not a guarantee). If you're looking for an an adventure experience...getting out in the middle of nowhere, just you and your dad, on a DIY in a location where there are higher concentrations of moose and hunting in an "any bull" GMU, where a few will likely go high 40's", maybe a low/mid-50's" and just maybe bigger if everything aligns just right, then research those options.

I'm sure you've already figured out that a monster bull is never a guarantee, but it IS guaranteed that you and your dad will have an adventure together...that is a for sure guaranteed, so what do you want that adventure together to look like? Once you whittle it down to the experience desired and where, then it's figuring out a reputable hunting resource...and then wading through the waiting list for that transporter, guide, outfitter, etc. I've used the same resource for the past seven years...and I'm already booked for next year.

It is a steep learning curve for sure, but don't get discouraged because the planning and anticipation with your dad is part of the trip as well. You have a truly good purpose for this adventure...good for you!

I've not hunted in Canada. However, I have spent a lot of time in the Yukon and love the people and the wilderness there.

Years back, my goal was to fly-in to where the animals are but now my goal is to fly-in to where people aren't.

The value of a quality wilderness experience can outweigh the value of game taken.......for me anyway.

AKBorn

WKR
I've done 14-15 non-res Alaska flyout moose and caribou hunts since 2000; would be happy to help, PM me f you would like to about this. I am 59 now, and I am a cyclist also - quit racing when I was 35. If your Dad is a competitive cyclist, he is in more than good enough shape to hunt moose. Unless you do a float trip, hunting moose is relatively easy; packing moose is all of the work.

A lot of what AK Doc posted is spot on about AK moose hunting...and posted by a guy who knows, he chases them for a few weeks every fall.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’d try to work out a float trip, I know it’s not for everybody but it’s easily my favorite. Float hunting for moose and caribou is the best.