Alaskan Caribou Hunt questions

bwalczyk

FNG
My husband and I are looking at going on a hunt next year. We have done some research (obviously need to do a lot more yet), we are planning on flying out of the fairbanks area. My sister in law lives up there and they have done some float hunts (my husband went on one), however we would be looking at flying into the area. We are planning on doing an unguided hunt.

So my questions are:

1. Transporter suggestions
2. Best time to go, we were thinking end of August into early September
3. Suggestions on areas to hunt

VernAK

WKR
you are on the best site to ask your alaska caribou hunt questions. just search old threads for ideas. the folks here are very helpful and free with information.

your timing of the hunt is good imo.

the demand for fly-in hunts far exceeds the supply so your time to select an area and flight service is very limited as most outfits will be booked in the next month for 2021.

AKBorn

WKR
Vern's thoughts are spot on as always. I always hunt out of Tok these days, but have always meant to do a flyout hunt with Wright Air out of Fairbanks. Might want to give them a call to get an idea of when they start accepting bookings for the following fall, and HOW they do their bookings. I heard rumor a few years back that they now want the hunting party to tell them where to fly, but I can't confirm if that is the case or not.

I'm not sure who else flies hunters out of the FBX area, but others will have a good idea.

Best of luck on whomever you choose, and please don't delay in finding out about the dates for booking hunts - transporters typically fill their spots up fairly fast these days.