Alaskan Combos

OXN939

WKR
Does anyone else ever bring a combination gun for small game into the backcountry with them up in AK? Think I'm going to pick up a Savage 42 takedown to take next time I'm up there. .22s can do the trick, but the flexibility of a takedown .22/.410 combo could really allow you to supplement your Mountain Houses... can confirm that "Ptarmigan" is by far their best flavor. Curious to hear others' experiences.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Just depends, I'd never carry a second rifle unless I was just river running with my jetboat then sure, I usually take a 22 rifle. If I'm actually hunting though, I don't go around shooting a 22 and scarring game off.

I used to carry a 22 revolver around moose hunting thinking id shoot spruce chickens and rabbits to eat but never ended up doing it on a hunt for fear of scaring away the important stuff.

OP
OXN939

OXN939

WKR
Just depends, I'd never carry a second rifle unless I was just river running with my jetboat then sure, I usually take a 22 rifle. If I'm actually hunting though, I don't go around shooting a 22 and scarring game off.

I used to carry a 22 revolver around moose hunting thinking id shoot spruce chickens and rabbits to eat but never ended up doing it on a hunt for fear of scaring away the important stuff.

That's the great thing about a break action that can reliably shoot subsonic .22- about as loud as a crossbow. Certainly the 410 is a different story, but if you found some Ptarmigan right before picking up to float to your next camp, could be very useful.

Take a sling shot!

Not a bad idea at all! Nontoxic shot too, hah.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
That's the great thing about a break action that can reliably shoot subsonic .22- about as loud as a crossbow. Certainly the 410 is a different story, but if you found some Ptarmigan right before picking up to float to your next camp, could be very useful.

Not a bad idea at all! Nontoxic shot too, hah.

I still wouldn't do it, a ptarmigan isn't worth potentially clearing out an area. I might do it far from where I'm hunting but other than that, nah.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
It reminds me of this jackass who was posting his vedeos in a 10mm facebook group, in his videos this ass clown was walking around with like 3 rifles and 2 pistols and talking about how its normal for multi species hunts....lol.

I’ve been on a few hunts where I’ve done something similar. I pretty much always take a shotgun for bear protection on hunts where I’ll hunt out of a base camp, or on float hunts or boat hunting (meaning using a jet boat to access the hunt area). The shotgun stays in camp most of the time, but there have been hunts when I’ve taken it out, around base camp, and killed ruffed or sharped-tailed grouse. I’ve also taken it to Kodiak on a goat hunt with my son, where he carried the rifle, because it was his goat tag, and I carried the shotgun with a handful of #7 shot for ptarmigan. Actually, now that I think about it, a buddy and I once hunted goats on Kodiak and he brought his .454 Casull for bear protection, but also brought bird shot for it, and we killed some ptarmigan on that trip as well.
5613b2bfe64158f9369336e08f1e9a40.jpg
2cac3fdec68575cb9b6fb4e410cd4103.jpg
4b7daffe31513c6e8d57a9e6f1370fd2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OXN939

OXN939

WKR
I’ve been on a few hunts where I’ve done something similar. I pretty much always take a shotgun for bear protection on hunts where I’ll hunt out of a base camp, or on float hunts or boat hunting (meaning using a jet boat to access the hunt area). The shotgun stays in camp most of the time, but there have been hunts when I’ve taken it out, around base camp, and killed ruffed or sharped-tailed grouse. I’ve also taken it to Kodiak on a goat hunt with my son, where he carried the rifle, because it was his goat tag, and I carried the shotgun with a handful of #7 shot for ptarmigan. Actually, now that I think about it, a buddy and I once hunted goats on Kodiak and he brought his .454 Casull for bear protection, but also brought bird shot for it, and we killed some ptarmigan on that trip as well.
5613b2bfe64158f9369336e08f1e9a40.jpg
2cac3fdec68575cb9b6fb4e410cd4103.jpg
4b7daffe31513c6e8d57a9e6f1370fd2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those .454 Ptarmigan pictures are truly hilarious, and also fantastic