Alaskan Dall Sheep outfitter recommendations?

Huntr

Lil-Rokslider
So, I booked a 2013 Dall hunt with Max Schwab and sent him my deposit this summer only to receive an email from him today saying he had overbooked and had no spot for me. Now that my rage has slightly diminished, I am back to square one on booking my dream hunt for next year. Anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

I would contact Jake Jefferson of black river hunting. I think Max has bigger sheep in his area but Jake is a stand up guy who works hard for his clients. Key thing for me is that he actually guides you so you aren't getting passed off to an assistant who may or may not have ever even hunted sheep before. Google black river hunting AK and it will get you there.

CritterGetter

Lil-Rokslider
Give Jonah Stewart a call. Hes with Jonahsalaskanoutfitters.com. Great success and awesome rams. He will get you on a ram without a doubt (as long as you are willing to give it effort). Quite a few guys on bowsite have booked with him and 3 of my buddies have went.

Do you have any particular range you are looking at hunting? There are quite a few good guys out there, but nearly an equal number of bad ones.

Jake Jefferson hunts the Talkeentna Mts I believe. Rob Jones of R&R guides does really well in the Western Alaska Range, and I would probably call Matt Snyder if I wanted to hunt eastern Alaska Range, although he may limit himself to just the Tok Managment Area (draw). Lots of other good one's out there too.

I'll PM you with a few to avoid. :)

Yk

OP
Huntr

Huntr

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for everyone's help on this. I really appreciate it. Still seems pretty pathetic that someone takes your money 3 months ago and then gives you the boot via email...

Yelloknife- thanks for the PM, and have sent a reply.

Again, thanks!

idig4au

WKR
I don't know if you are stuck on Alaska for Dall's, but the NWT has some great dall sheep hunting if you go with the right outfit. More expensive than Alaska is the downside, but I think the class of sheep are better (in my opinion) and plus you can do some mountain caribou hunting. I had such a great time last month, I rebooked for 2014 to re-live the experience.

In terms of Alaska, Rick French seemed like a standup guy when I spoke to him.

At the end of the day, do you research, talk with references, be upfront with the outfitter on your physical ability and make sure you leave nothing to chance.

OP
Huntr

Huntr

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks again everyone for the help. New twist as of last night- Max sent me an email stating he DOES have a spot for me. So, I guess I am back on with Schwab after all. Sure could have done without the panic attack!

Thanks again everyone!

tstowater

WKR
Just hope the saga is over. Sounds like the Alaska weather this fall. If you don't like it, just wait 10 minutes and it will change. Need lots of patience that I don't have. Plan that your plan won't work and be flexible on dates. Buy refundable and transferable airfare.

Bigdog

FNG
If things change again dont be afraid to look at Billy Mols I think he is with Deltana Outfitters and I have only heard good things about Billy, plus he is on the prostaff here I noticed... Good Luck

Maxhunter

WKR
Rich Moran Extreme Adventure out of Sterling (907)301-3903. Also Freelance outfitters (907)864-0630 both top notch.

Romo

FNG
Heard good things about Billy Molls and Sean Donovan at Deltana. They hunt the Brooks.

Lance Kronerberger has a good rep. He hunts Chugach and Tok draw areas.

Matt Snyder has good rep too, and he hunts Tok draw area.

Hunted with Troy Kitchel in Talkeetnas, had a great hunt (36") and saw plenty of sheep.

swat8888

WKR
$25 for a resident hunting license....ha. Or like $15k I think is around what the guides will run you.