Alaskan Moose Gloves

mcseal2

WKR
Since my moose trip I picked up a pair of Kuiu Peloton 200 gloves that have become my favorite for a light glove. They are much more windproof than the light Sitka gloves I had in the past and dry fast. I've been using them hunting deer, predators, and upland birds. They would be my choice if I was going today for a light glove. I'd probably take 2 pair for the same reason as Larry uses 2 pair of Mechanix. I wasn't float hunting so I didn't need warm gloves as much as I thought I might. I used them running the boat a little but mainly I just used my light gloves and warmed my hands in the pockets of my coat.

Hands are important and need at least as much protection as feet. I know guys who spend 4x more money on their feet versus their hands. For moose hunts I generally look for gloves that have enough toughness to put up with some rough use. Any given day my hands might be assembling a woodstove, moving rocks, glassing for hours, splitting stove-wood, snapping dead spruce branches....and so on. Pretty gloves are fine but they'd better be durable.

I generally take 2 pair of KUIU Peloton 200 gloves for non-abrasive everyday use in mild temps. Their weight is negligible and they offer enough warmth and versatility. I will always have one pair of thickly-insulated waterproof gloves (not brand specific) for cold, wet conditions. I always have at least one pair of the Kevlar knit latex-dipped cut-resistant gloves. I use these for many camp chores, and definitely for the big business of butchering a bull. Last September I carelessly ignored my own rule and managed to gash my left index finger with a razor-sharp Gransfors hand axe while splitting wood. Never again. I also usually take a pair of down mittens (no weight penalty) for days when it's cold and dry. The only other gloves I often take will be something in the mid-range of warmth and durability, like KUIU Guide or Attack gloves with leather palms and fingers.