Alaskan moose hunt disaster

boliver29

Lil-Rokslider
In Alaska all the rivers the hunt planner uses are flooded. Hunt planner is on a hunt. So stuck in Fairbanks until the planner and pilot figure things out somehow. Any suggestions let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Me and my buddy just killed one and I solo rafted it out of a creek while he went back to the jet boat. The rivers were swollen and gnarly and it made for a 15 hour raft out for me.

We got a full freezer. Just saying.

Htm84

WKR
Rent a car and drive around on backroads and look for one. I’d feel like a real Nancy boy if I came all the way up here and let a little water ruin my trip. If I can wake my lazy ass up I’ll be looking for one in the morning and I gotta cross a swollen creek to get to my little hidey spot.

Here’s a little motivational picture

Attachments

• A6C1CA37-6E87-4431-A84D-ADFF36099A5C.jpeg
    A6C1CA37-6E87-4431-A84D-ADFF36099A5C.jpeg
    349.9 KB · Views: 188
In terms of an Alaska hunt, this isn’t on the level of disaster it could be.

Head to the Boatel or any other bar with lots of dirty trucks in the parking lot. Buy some locals beers. You might make a friend and have a whole different type of adventure!

Talking to the pilot might also offer up some decent alternative air strips.

My son got a nice caribou and I shot a wolf. Bad experience with hunt planner,pilot and grizzly bears. It would take me hours to tell about all that went wrong. I learned a lot about being at the mercy of other people. That’s for sure. When you pay up front they kinda have you over a barrel. Like they are doing you a favor instead of a service. Maybe one sells snake oil and the other isn’t a people person. Thanks to Larry Bartlett for all the help and advice. Got to spend 12 days in the wild with my 21 yr old son. That was amazing. I’ll be back for a moose. Not with the same guy. I’m not going to use names until I go over the papers I signed. There has to be a reason why you can’t find bad reviews. I booked the trip before I came across this forum. Things probably would have ended up different.

Taking a wolf in AK is a lot more rare than taking a moose, that itself is a pretty cool accomplishment. Pics?

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved
My son got a nice caribou and I shot a wolf. Bad experience with hunt planner,pilot and grizzly bears. It would take me hours to tell about all that went wrong. I learned a lot about being at the mercy of other people. That’s for sure. When you pay up front they kinda have you over a barrel. Like they are doing you a favor instead of a service. Maybe one sells snake oil and the other isn’t a people person. Thanks to Larry Bartlett for all the help and advice. Got to spend 12 days in the wild with my 21 yr old son. That was amazing. I’ll be back for a moose. Not with the same guy. I’m not going to use names until I go over the papers I signed. There has to be a reason why you can’t find bad reviews. I booked the trip before I came across this forum. Things probably would have ended up different.

Glad it worked out and post details when you can.

I'm not sure I'd ever use a guided hunt (but certainly possible depending on hunt), but this forum has taught me to be very careful on deposits, hunt/guide T&Cs and reputation (use word of mouth as online are not reputable since there is a high degree of censorship).

Eddie

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Damn I'm really glad you salvaged that mess. Hopefully Kavik Aviation won't be servicing the southern and eastern Brooks next year. He made a mess many companies had to clean up. Never have heard from your Hunt Planner either.

You da man for hanging tough and seeing it through.

AKDoc

WKR
I'm truly sorry to hear of your experience, and again sorry that I was unable to be helpful because I was in the field for two-weeks during all of this coming down. I'm glad to see that you had some helpful responses from others, and not at all surprised...this is a very helpful forum. Larry Bartlett in particular is very highly respected by me and many here...he is a stand-up guy for sure.

If it's any consolation, this August was one of the worse rainy wx periods in recorded hx for several parts of Alaska, and it extended into early September. I did a ten-day float in latter August for the fifth time on the same river in western Alaska, and I didn't even recognize some of the typically challenging areas because they were total flood zones this time. (LB...you know the river I'm referencing). Our 14-day moose hunt out there was one storm after the other...one was the remnant of a typhoon. BTW...I'm not in any way excusing the way you were treated by those you hired (and prepaid) for services!

That consolation aside, I'm glad you were able to hang in there and figure out a "plan B" and get out there with your son. Make the moose hunt happen in the future. The best to you guy...stay in touch.

Last edited:

VernAK

WKR

Boliver,
If it's any consolation, many of us consider the wolf as the most difficult of Alaskan trophies to acquire. Good job there!

Also a "good job" for Larry Bartlett as he had no skin in this game yet he tried to better a bad situation. If I were 50 years younger, I'd be the owner of a couple of Larry's great inflatable boats. :)

As Doc said, it was a very wet fall and it was all across Alaska....and it continues.

I'd also suggest to many Sliders: be cautious of booking with a one aircraft outfit and do they have maintenance people on standby.

SDHNTR

WKR
I’ve hunted AK 1/2 doz times and have never even seen a wolf! And you took one! That’s awesome. Way to salvage your trip.

Interesting. I heard back in late August from a hunter using a hunt planner frequently mentioned on this site that he had his pilot cancel and the planner still hadn't returned a call or e-mail after two weeks with a contingency plan. Hopefully you can inform people if it's the same guy.

Congrats on the salvaged trip and respect for the folks that stepped up for you!