Alaskan Moose hunt vs Canada Moose Hunt & guide recommendations

tcpip95

Lil-Rokslider
Hello Everyone, all my moose guide searches have pointed me back to here. Clicking thru some of the threads has given me more googling to do, but here's where I'm at.

I'm in NE Ohio and would like to do a guided northern moose hunt in 2024 or 2025. Cost is a factor, but only somewhat. If I have that much time, I can budget my way into a more expensive hunt should it be worthwhile.

I don't know a ton about moose or habits so I'd rather pay a little more and have a good crack at one. A guide makes most sense to me.

Not opposed to horses or spot n stalk, but would rather not do a boat trip.

I have elk hunted southern colorado, and that was about as physical as I'd want to get. 9600-10500' for a week. I got it done, but it was pretty demanding.

I don't mind spiking out.

My wife will probably be tagging along (shes more physcially capable than I am as far as hiking) but I'll be doing the hunting, she'll be there for the experience and scentery. We'lboth be late 30s/early 40s when the hunt goes down.
Any guides you'd recommend?

Alaska vs Canadian moose for moving meat, hide, antlers around?

I plan on rifle hunting.
I'm one year ahead of you (planning a 2023 Alberta moose hunt). Are you going for trophy or for meat? Trophy will limit your destination to Alaska or BC mainly. And send money. LOL

Old and gray

Lil-Rokslider
I would do a Heli assisted hunt in the Northwest Territories. Most of the outfitters are taking very few hunters compared to moose numbers.

If youre interested in an alberta horseback hunt in the foothills/mountains for 45 inch plus bulls, let me know. I have a good friend that has openings. I believe its 8500usd for the trip.

If youre interested in an alberta horseback hunt in the foothills/mountains for 45 inch plus bulls, let me know. I have a good friend that has openings. I believe its 8500usd for the trip.
I'd love some information, please send me a PM. Thank you

jedi

FNG
Look up moose creek outfitters in Alberta. I've deer hunted with Bryan 3 times but havent made it for moose just yet. Supposed to go last year but cv and what not threw a wrench into those plans. Have had a few buddies do the moose trip and they did very well. He runs an awesome camp and they have some pretty nice success rates. I will be booking within the next few years with him.

ColeyG

WKR
You aren’t hunting in Canada as a non resident with out a guide. I have a buddy in Kakabekka Falls area…owns The Falls bait shop. He does guiding and they always get one. That area the bulls aren’t as large as they are towards Wawa but they issue more tags up there so the chances of getting a hunt are better.

This one is 60” and my buddy shot one 66” around Wawa.

Those are Canadian inches though, so in US inches that is like a 45" bull, right?

;)

I_am_Waz

FNG
Having hunted the Yukon and Alaska I can say I feel strongly about both as the area is an unbelievable remote experience.

The reason I lean towards Alaska is because as an American in the lower 48, it is 1000 times less hassle to bring meat and game home.

I hunted with Solo Creek Guide Service (http://www.solocreekguideservices.com/) who also operate in the Wrangell's and about 13 miles from the Yukon border.

The operation is first rate and customer focused. Tom and Sheila (Brother and Sister) own and operate the outfit and it has been in the family for over 40 years. Couple that with the fact that they only take 4 or 5 hunters a year and you can be certain they are attentive to your needs and the quality of Moose and Bear in the area speak for themselves.

The only access to SoloCreek is via 40mile air out of Tok and the hunts are Horseback and Hiking.

I could sit here and tell you more but a video is worth 1000 words and I documented my hunt and camp details in 2 videos on You Tube for others to enjoy:

You can also find those links on the Solo Creek Reference page.

An added benefit is that Sheila being in camp and hunting will be a nice feature for taking your wife along.

Best of Luck!
Gene

Smokin

FNG
The reason I lean towards Alaska is because as an American in the lower 48, it is 1000 times less hassle to bring meat and game home.
I'm looking at a similar question as the original poster, but was actually leaning towards Canada for logistical simplicity. I would probably look at driving to Canada but I don't think that's practical for Alaska.

It looks to me like the firearm importation is the biggest thing, but a bolt action rifle should just be a single form and a $25 fee. For the meat, it seems like you have to just show your hunting tags at the boarder to bring the meat back. Is there something I'm missing?

I'm looking at a similar question as the original poster, but was actually leaning towards Canada for logistical simplicity. I would probably look at driving to Canada but I don't think that's practical for Alaska.

It looks to me like the firearm importation is the biggest thing, but a bolt action rifle should just be a single form and a $25 fee. For the meat, it seems like you have to just show your hunting tags at the boarder to bring the meat back. Is there something I'm missing?
That's pretty much it. Firearm declaration form and a small fee to bring your bolt action into Canada. US customs didn't even check my tags or license to bring my meat back over the border. I just filled out a one page form declaring that I was bringing a foreign food product into the US, they looked in the back of my truck at the 5 coolers and moose head to confirm that I had a moose, and I was on my way.

I would also recommend stopping at the US side before heading in to Canada and filling out a form 4457 for your rifle. I basically proves that your rifle was yours before your trip, and that you didn't purchase it while on your trip to sneak it back over the border duty free. I don't think it's required, but it's good peace of mind to ensure that your re-entry goes smoothly.

Last edited:

jedi

FNG

its an easy process to bring meat and skull/cape back. just have your forms/tags ready so our border patrol can log the info and you should be fine. theyve always been great for me when coming across

NorthCountryAB

Lil-Rokslider

It is super easy as long as you drive to Canada. You are correct all you need is your green hunting tag and the corresponding piece of paper.
We are a fly-in only operation and have zero issues with guys taking meat home.
Firearms declaration isnt hard either.
We have clients that drive every year and I would highly recommend that.

TheWhitetailNut

Lil-Rokslider
That's pretty much it. Firearm declaration form and a small fee to bring your bolt action into Canada. US customs didn't even check my tags or license to bring my meat back over the border. I just filled out a one page form declaring that I was bringing a foreign food product into the US, they looked in the back of my truck at the 5 coolers and moose head to confirm that I had a moose, and I was on my way.

I would also recommend stopping at the US side before heading in to Canada and filling out a form 4457 for your rifle. I basically proves that your rifle was yours before your trip, and that you didn't purchase it while on your trip to sneak it back over the border duty free. I don't think it's required, but it's good peace of mind to ensure that your re-entry goes smoothly.
It's not required, and your RCMP declaration form proves that if there were any question.