Alaskan Moose hunt vs Canada Moose Hunt & guide recommendations

roymunson

WKR
Hello Everyone, all my moose guide searches have pointed me back to here. Clicking thru some of the threads has given me more googling to do, but here's where I'm at.

I'm in NE Ohio and would like to do a guided northern moose hunt in 2024 or 2025. Cost is a factor, but only somewhat. If I have that much time, I can budget my way into a more expensive hunt should it be worthwhile.

I don't know a ton about moose or habits so I'd rather pay a little more and have a good crack at one. A guide makes most sense to me.

Not opposed to horses or spot n stalk, but would rather not do a boat trip.

I have elk hunted southern colorado, and that was about as physical as I'd want to get. 9600-10500' for a week. I got it done, but it was pretty demanding.

I don't mind spiking out.

My wife will probably be tagging along (shes more physcially capable than I am as far as hiking) but I'll be doing the hunting, she'll be there for the experience and scentery. We'lboth be late 30s/early 40s when the hunt goes down.
Any guides you'd recommend?

Alaska vs Canadian moose for moving meat, hide, antlers around?

I plan on rifle hunting.

NorthCountryAB

Lil-Rokslider
It would help if you could indicate a rough price point.
You can do Ontario for $3000 or you can do the Yukon/Alaska for $35,000.
If your looking for a great experience and and shooting a good representation moose than I would recommend British Columbia. There is some good fly in back pack style hunts and also some really good horseback hunts. BC also runs some pretty good success rates on nice canadian moose. Some of the better outfits that come to mind are Kawdy and Dustin Roe.
Kawdy may be mostly boat based hunts though, thats something you would have to discuss with them.
Dustin does lots of horseback hunts.
If your not interested in boat or truck based hunts a lot of Alberta, Sask, Manitoba and Ontario will be out.
We shoot great moose in our fly in area in northern Alberta, but our hunts are boat based hunts.

If your looking for an Alaskan/Yukon I would get pretty serious about booking soon. Seems like as the pandemic winds down outfitters are booking up fast.
I cant comment on Alaska, never done it and never been there.
There are lots of reputable outfitters in the Yukon and NWT. Canol, Ravens Throat, Caeser Lake, Tombstone, Yukon Stone etc

GotDraw?

WKR
All-in, you'll easily spend $25-35k for a Yukon hunt with a virtually 100% guaranteed harvest.

I have done it and much info to share, but you need to honestly decide if it's in your budget.

What is your budget range?

JL

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
I have never looked into the more southern provinces like BC, but in the Yukon and NWT you will not be able to bring much meat home due to the remote logistics, plane weight restrictions, etc. Even getting it back from Alaska will eliminate many outfitters if you aren't driving. Based on everything you said, I would point you in the direction of Will Koehler Wrangelloutfitters.com

GotDraw?

WKR
@roymunson

Moose hunts with top AK or Yukon Outfitters are among the most expensive hunts you can book.

Do you have price range in mind? Telling everyone that cost is a factor in one breath and then that you can budget in the next breath provides zero point of reference for anyone here. Give us a real dollar range and we can give input.

One person's affordable $35k hunt is the next person's completely out of the question price range.

JL

alaska_bou

Lil-Rokslider
All-in, you'll easily spend $25-35k for a Yukon hunt with a virtually 100% guaranteed harvest.

I have done it and much info to share, but you need to honestly decide if it's in your budget.

What is your budget range?

JL

Don't kid yourself believing that if you spend $25-$35k on a guided moose hunt in the Yukon, the NWT or anywhere else that your success is guaranteed. It isn't.

Put in for some moose draws in Alaska off the road system. If you win, spend $800 on the tag, fly up and point towards some woods off some road in your draw area from your rental car. I've shot 9 moose in the past 11 years all within ear shot of a road. You can shoot black bears with your moose tag, almost certain to run across one of those if you can't connect with a bull. $800 on a moose tag, $160 on a license, $30 bucks in draw chances. You can do that every year you win the draw and figure it out as you go, while seeing some pretty country 25 times, until it adds up to $25K that these guides are asking for. Hell, plenty of road accessible moose country in areas you don't even need to draw to hunt in. Moose hunting isn't some big legendary hard secret, learn the habitat they like, and be willing to walk 500 yards away from a road.

GotDraw?

WKR
Don't kid yourself believing that if you spend $25-$35k on a guided moose hunt in the Yukon, the NWT or anywhere else that your success is guaranteed. It isn't.
Not talking smack and kidding myself or anyone else.

Been there and the outfitter I used has that high a success rate.

J

OP
roymunson

roymunson

WKR
I spoke with a reputable oufitter in AK. Moose hunt was right around $21000 with a possible bear add on for $4000. That's alot of money, but I also know that's not all that goes into it.

Getting myself there, tags, meat/hide/trophies home costs money too. I decided to stay in the states as I believe the issues of getting things home are fewer from what I've learned.

My wife plans on observing, and all told if I could get it done for $30-35k I'd be ok with that.

oldman

FNG
Check out North West Big Game Outfitters, Jack Goodwin. Atlin BC. His area is just north of Haines Alaska, where GOLD Rush the TV program started. I have hunted with him and have taken friends as well , several times. My friend Freddy Dodge has taken several ML bone & Crocket list moose with Jack (like #1,2 &3). Check out his photo album..several of the photos are of us over the years. FUN HUNT you can drive to his lodge.

oldman

FNG
Not current with Jack's prices. Call him, he is easy to talk to. He is a friend.

I’ve heard pretty good things about Tom Sallows if you still considering a BC hunt. Depending on what gear you already have you could easily come in under 20k, maybe even 15K. I almost booked with him but elected to go transporter in Alaska. Not exactly true North BC, but he kills some real nice bulls. Some existing camps and some spike camps. Mostly horseback in 3D168CFD-6727-447D-9CFE-ABDD3F869A21.png9A237BE6-2824-4790-A080-880B7517F74D.png0F898410-FFD5-47B8-81D7-F5C1035A506E.pngFA3D01B8-D6D0-4CCE-85C8-0BD80900116E.png6FFEA12B-5BD9-4894-B3CB-7E6BBE573B66.pngC6075CBC-F1FC-47D7-B6C7-18DD3475691E.png83062676-CBB3-4C45-A4DB-2060B205CA40.pngEDB779A9-2A20-4A53-9DD8-1F867CCB9AD1.pngD459F8CA-755C-433F-96F8-37F1888A2431.png920E0143-39C9-41E5-BD57-C6840A4A03ED.png

WRO

WKR
Jonahs Alaskan adventures, Jeremy Rusenik, and Renfros should all be on your list.

Diy option is fine if you have unlimited time to hunt, truth is taking 14 days to go to Alaska every year is a stretch for most.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Caleb1986

FNG
You aren’t hunting in Canada as a non resident with out a guide. I have a buddy in Kakabekka Falls area…owns The Falls bait shop. He does guiding and they always get one. That area the bulls aren’t as large as they are towards Wawa but they issue more tags up there so the chances of getting a hunt are better.

This one is 60” and my buddy shot one 66” around Wawa.

Attachments

• 058F7A44-442B-4D23-A659-5250CDB51327.jpeg
    058F7A44-442B-4D23-A659-5250CDB51327.jpeg
    635.7 KB · Views: 86
OP
roymunson

roymunson

WKR
Really good info on here.

And the pricing is for when you're in the field, until you leave the field.

Getting to Alaska, to camp, tip, tags, shipping of meat and trophies is all additional.

My wife is playing around with the idea of tagging along. So there's another flight ticket in and out and an observer/camper charge.

I have the cost pretty well accounted for, and I could definitely do a cheaper hunt. But Its within where I'm willing to be, especially when I hear reviews on here of the guide and talk to him on the phone.

First real guided hunt of this magnitude. So it is good to hear that there's someone reputable here.

Laramie

WKR
You can save a lot of travel and expense by hunting Utah on landowner vouchers. 25-30k buys a good hunt. Some advertise as cheap as 20k.

OP
roymunson

roymunson

WKR
You can save a lot of travel and expense by hunting Utah on landowner vouchers. 25-30k buys a good hunt. Some advertise as cheap as 20k.
a good idea. But Utah doesn't have the grizzly combo either. If its gonna hurt, its gonna hurt once (financially)