Alaskan moose transport question?

OP
P

PA Hunter

WKR
Couldn’t agree more. Used Nick last year. Can’t remember price but it was very reasonable and I remember being surprised it wasn’t more expensive.

I sent an email to Nick for a hypothetical generic price quote on one moose for him to prep and ship to Philadelphia and he said shipping would be $600-700. I am kind of surprised how cheap that quote is. That is a bit cheaper than the refrigerated truck delivery and allot closer to the pick up location. I'm just wondering if there is tack on charges I don't know about? Or if that is an unrealistic quote? What I would really like is if I could have a butcher shop process the meat and have him ship it completely done so I don't have to deal with that at home.

Voyageur

WKR
I sent an email to Nick for a hypothetical generic price quote on one moose for him to prep and ship to Philadelphia and he said shipping would be $600-700. I am kind of surprised how cheap that quote is. That is a bit cheaper than the refrigerated truck delivery and allot closer to the pick up location. I'm just wondering if there is tack on charges I don't know about? Or if that is an unrealistic quote? What I would really like is if I could have a butcher shop process the meat and have him ship it completely done so I don't have to deal with that at home.
I had no hidden expenses with Nick.
If I were you I would call him and ask him the exact questions you've asked here in your post. In my experience he can handle just about any scenario.
Hope this helps.

Can you take the shell off? Honestly, if you can’t put two boned out moose and a camp in your truck there is a problem. I put a 9 day camp in the cab of my truck this year so use the space you have. The issue you will encounter is going to be the racks but take the dang shell off.

Wapiti1

WKR
Alaska Air is allowing 7 checked item right now since 1/3 of the plane is empty. I am just freezing 200lbs of my moose and checking the antlers after a thorough wrapping. Get cardboard from about any business and get stretch wrap and duct tape from walmart. Protect the antler tips and make sure it will not leak anything.

check it as baggage and pay the over fees.

Alaska Air is allowing 7 checked item right now since 1/3 of the plane is empty. I am just freezing 200lbs of my moose and checking the antlers after a thorough wrapping. Get cardboard from about any business and get stretch wrap and duct tape from walmart. Protect the antler tips and make sure it will not leak anything.

check it as baggage and pay the over fees.

Just a couple years ago I did this, got the moose cut and wrapped, bought coolers which came to just a 100# full and AA only charges 1 extra fee per piece .... either oversize or over weight up to 100# was $75 per. I shipped antlers (split) 5 coolers (500#) and 2 bags of gear and it was only $550 total... seriously the best way to go if you can.