Alaska's Corona Virus Impacts

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Local cities in Alaska are cancelling public gatherings, university and public schools and sports events due to the threat of the virus. As of today, all state and federal travel is cancelled as well as meetings, conventions, and events.

This prompted me to worry about the upcoming spring Outdoors Shows in Alaska, starting in Anchorage on April 3-5.

Here's the production company's response to my query this morning (3/13/20):

"Hi Larry,

We understand concerns about the Corona virus are top of mind. Great Alaska Sportsman Show will take place as scheduled, April 3-5, 2020 at the Sullivan & Boeke Arenas. Together with the building, we are taking extra measures to clean & sanitize the facility, and we are monitoring updates from health authorities as needed.

We will continue to monitor updates from Alaska Public Health & Social Service and keep you posted.

Thanks for checking.
Show Management
Aurora Productions, Inc.Phone: 907-562-9911Fax: 907-562-9889Email: [email protected]"

For now, this is what we know. I'll repost any updates if they surface.

Larry

NUGGET

WKR
No way I’m going to it. And everyone I’ve talked to is saying the same.

We just got the call last night that school is cancelled for at least another week...my wife is a CNA in the trenches, we're a bit nervous but not panic buying or anything like that...definitely going to avoid large crowds until this thing calms down.

Scoot

WKR
They can say it is going to happen but they have no idea if it will or not. Things are changing by the hour practically so to predict that far out is ridiculous.

The RHAK is having their annual banquet at the Egan on March 28, and AKWSF is having it’s annual banquet at the Dena’ina center on April 18. I wonder what the status is of those events?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

THBZN

Lil-Rokslider
Like so many things, as Scoot mentioned, it is changing rapidly, and by the day and hour. That being said, the sanest action we could do as a country is follow the lead other countries have already put in place, and limit the hell out of "social events", follow normal hygiene best practices, and work collectively to limit the spread.

We are not going to "get rid of it" anytime soon, but it is the cumulative overload effect that rapid transmission can have on a healthcare system that is many times the problem. I don't want miss out on events, or feel like I am at risk having a beer or dinner out at a restaurant, but this is a manageable thing. I would not and will not be traveling to any event or for work (I am usually on a plane about 12-18 times a year) and most companies I work with are thankfully on the same program.

I read this earlier from a very detailed report on transmission rates and measures to reduce it:

There is one very simple thing that we can do and that works: social distancing.

The current scientific consensus is that this virus can be spread within 2 meters (6 feet) if somebody coughs. Otherwise, the droplets fall to the ground and don’t infect you.

The worst infection then becomes through surfaces: The virus survives for up to 9 days on different surfaces such as metal, ceramics and plastics. That means things like doorknobs, tables, or elevator buttons can be terrible infection vectors.
The only way to truly reduce that is with social distancing: Keeping people home as much as possible, for as long as possible until this recedes.

Err on the side of caution, and avoid the shows. I will likely be working from home for the next two weeks or so, and I will be hiking around the hills this weekend even though it will be more winter-like than not. Maybe I will tie up some more flies, shoot the bow, etc. Lots of things to do that keeps a guy sane and safe at the same time.

Rob5589

WKR
It is happening all over. Not a bad thing actually. Some people just do not take care of themselves like they should and/or ignore potential contamination. Like said above, the narrative is evolving and changing almost daily. Wife is a RN, I am a paramedic, and we are constantly getting updates and changes in protocol.

Wash your hands; stay away from unknown individuals; stay healthy.

RHAK is cancelled, ABA the week after will also be cancelled. Working on announcement now. I am sure the Sportsman Show will be cancelled as well.

Alaska 4x4 Rentals

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
With everything going on and what the Governor has put in place, it’ll be cancelled. I mean...they closed bars and restaurants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AKBorn

WKR
It will be cancelled is my bet. Here in Maryland we had 32 confirmed cases yesterday; today the number is 57. This thing is doubling every three days, we gotta flatten the exposure curve by taking big measures.

Here in MD the vehicle emissions inspections stations are being converted to drive-thru coronavirus testing facilities, 1,000 National Guard troops are deployed with another 1,200 on standby.

Stay away from groups and wash your hands everyone...