Alberta Mule Deer Hunt, By Viktor Arzethauser

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Lead-photo.jpg

As @Viktorsmash (Viktor Arzethauser) has gotten older, his drive to be outdoors has increased. That inevitably led him to dream of being in the mountains on a daily basis. Living in Toronto, a city of three million people, makes that a big challenge. But, mountain hunting is something that makes him feel alive in a way nothing else has.

Check out this thread about his hunt prep to see just what went into making a hunt like this possible for Viktor

Enjoy the story of his first Alberta mule deer hunt.

Alberta Mule Deer Hunt

Loved this story! Thanks for keeping it real! Learning experiences are what make us better hunters. I will always stop to strip layers before a big climb. I don’t care who’s waiting. Shivering anytime you stop is extra motivation to keep the legs churning, and it generally goes a little faster in the long run.

Ewaragnar

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not sure we really ever become immune to it, especially on less-than-premium tags on public land.
Agreed! I got my ass handed to me a few years ago - caught between microbursts, fog, sleet, snow, and rain for 6 days by myself. Felt like Lt. Dan on the mast of a ship at night hanging on the the tipee center pole. Great reminder of how not tough I really am.

Keep going - these are the experiences that shape you - and what make it even more rewarding when you connect!

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to read the story, and for all your positive feedback. Not a day goes by that I don't think about being in the mountains again. Although the weather out here has been crap so at least I get to enjoy similar weather.

Great write up. Northern Ontario boy here. Don't discount going after moose a 12 hour drive from Toronto. Plenty of excitement.
Would love to some day, just don't have a group to hunt with. 99% of my hunting is done solo but I still put in for the draw, and with the new changes, I might get a tag sooner than later.

This is a great story. Very real, no covering up or pretending.
I have lived in Toronto for a couple years. It is a great city. But it helps me appreciate where I am now, at the base of the Rockies. I marvel every day at their majesty and count my blessings that within 10 min of my house I can be on the mountain.

This is a great story. Very real, no covering up or pretending.
I have lived in Toronto for a couple years. It is a great city. But it helps me appreciate where I am now, at the base of the Rockies. I marvel every day at their majesty and count my blessings that within 10 min of my house I can be on the mountain.
Well rub it in why don't ya. I can't say that I'm not jealous. Because of the shutdown, I've had the chance to scout like crazy but if you hunted public land with 2 hours of the GTA, you know those tracts are tiny in comparison. It's probably a good thing though as I'd probably still be in the mountains right now and my girlfriend gone a long time ago. Where abouts are you?

Haha. You need to keep her happy.
I am in Lake Point Utah. 30 min outside of Salt Lake City. Small town and I love it.
I am blessed with
Well rub it in why don't ya. I can't say that I'm not jealous. Because of the shutdown, I've had the chance to scout like crazy but if you hunted public land with 2 hours of the GTA, you know those tracts are tiny in comparison. It's probably a good thing though as I'd probably still be in the mountains right now and my girlfriend gone a long time ago. Where abouts are you?
Haha. You need to keep her happy.
I am in Lake Point Utah. 30 min outside of Salt Lake City. Small town and I love it.
I am blessed with a sweet wife that seems more excited than I am about the moose tag I drew this year. Yes, scouting has maintained sanity during these crazy times.

Alaskan

FNG
Lead-photo.jpg

As @Viktorsmash (Viktor Arzethauser) has gotten older, his drive to be outdoors has increased. That inevitably led him to dream of being in the mountains on a daily basis. Living in Toronto, a city of three million people, makes that a big challenge. But, mountain hunting is something that makes him feel alive in a way nothing else has.

Check out this thread about his hunt prep to see just what went into making a hunt like this possible for Viktor

Enjoy the story of his first Alberta mule deer hunt.

Alberta Mule Deer Hunt
Enjoyed the story!!!!

Liu_YS

FNG
Great story! I’m looking to dive into MD hunting in Colorado and I’m sure I’ll have to match the training you did. Good luck on the next one!