Alberta Mule Deer Jacket

Booked an Alberta mule deer hunt in 2023 and looking for gear recommendations. I have most of the Kuiu super down but looking for something heavier. Anyone have any experience with the Kuiu Gale Force or is that overkill for that hunt? Also looking at the burner parka.

ljalberta

WKR
Where and when in Alberta are you going?

I’m guessing later season based on your jacket thoughts. Even then it’s hard to say what you’ll need. I’ve chased mulies in November in a light base layer. The next year, same time and place, and it -30* overnight and not a ton warmer during the days.

When and what part of the province are you going to ? l live here (southern part of the province) like 1 hour north of Montana border. For me windproof is key. I have a 25 year old Cabelas fleece pullover with a hood that has Cabelas version of Goretex lining that gets used more than anything else I own. I simply layer whatever number of light layers needed underneath it. At the very end of November it can get cold some years (-20 C range) but again wind is the bigger problem in the prairie portion of the province. If you are going to SW Alberta like anywhere near Pincher creek it is even more windy.

OP
JHubbard2010
When and what part of the province are you going to ? l live here (southern part of the province) like 1 hour north of Montana border. For me windproof is key. I have a 25 year old Cabelas fleece pullover with a hood that has Cabelas version of Goretex lining that gets used more than anything else I own. I simply layer whatever number of light layers needed underneath it. At the very end of November it can get cold some years (-20 C range) but again wind is the bigger problem in the prairie portion of the province. If you are going to SW Alberta like anywhere near Pincher creek it is even more windy.
We will be about 70 miles NE of Calgary 11/1-11/5 of 2023.

OP
JHubbard2010
Where and when in Alberta are you going?

I’m guessing later season based on your jacket thoughts. Even then it’s hard to say what you’ll need. I’ve chased mulies in November in a light base layer. The next year, same time and place, and it -30* overnight and not a ton warmer during the days.
11/1-11/5 of 2023. 70 Miles NE of Calgary

aaron14

Lil-Rokslider
I've been to that same area twice on mule deer hunts during that timeframe. It can range from mid-50s down to -20 F. As already mentioned, windproof is key. The Sitka Jetstream would be a good option; I personally have the Timberline (since discontinued). I wore the First Lite Chamberlin a lot while glassing or sitting on a bedded buck. Even when it's cold I stay pretty warm while hiking so the Chamberlin was only worn while stationary.

I think those dates are early enough in the month that you are very unlikely to encounter the extreme cold, but likely good to be prepared just in case it is miserable (like it's supposed to be this week!).

In that area of Alberta, I would expect a lot of glassing and hiking between glassing spots. I'm not that familiar with the Kuiu line-up, but I would suggest whichever is lighter, more packable, and breathable would be the most favorable. I hunt close to that area and find I prefer outerwear that is breathable and/or has zippers to allow you to dump heat because it can be a pain to constantly be putting on or taking off layers to regulate temperature. I totally agree with the others that windproof is critical, and will also add good base layers that wick away sweat can make a huge difference too. I really like the zip-off ones because it can often be very cool until the sun comes up and then you can remove them without have to take your boots off in the snow.

Good luck on your hunt.

Xavier

FNG
Hey man, I'm just west of Calgary and like all have stated. Wind proofing is key. I’d suggest something like the first lite chamberlain for glassing or even the solitude jacket now that it has wind proofing. I personally use the chamberlain for glassing and the Uncompahgre pants. Or if you like the Kuiu stuff super down jacket and pants. I could go into the layering systems if you want. Just shoot me a PM.