Alecvg's late blacktail thread

alecvg

Lil-Rokslider
Decided to move this here:

Well I decided I am gonna keep a continuous thread of my late muzzleloader blacktail hunt. As a few of you know, I have been in Idaho guiding the last four months or so, so this is my first and only hunt of the year for myself. This morning was my first morning out, left a little late, pulled into my hunting area and there were two does on the road. Headed to the treestand and passed on a spike that came out after being there a half hour or so. Not having tree stand hunting before I was getting real bored after a couple hours, and was texting shanevg about how bored and cold I was after wading across the creek to get to the stand. In the middle of a text I saw a deer working its way across the clearcut, and saw it was one of the big bucks Shane got pictures of on his trail camera, so I pull up and waited for a good shot, click. Pull back the hammer again, squeeze the trigger, click. After cussing a bit and checking the nipple, I pull up again, squeezed the trigger and shot. Clean miss. I'm going to give the area a break for the day and head in again in the morning. Stay Tuned

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
we'll stay tuned for sure! I've never been blacktail hunting so it will be great to "tag" along!

shanevg

WKR
Alec thinks this is the buck that he missed.

PICT0015-1-M.jpg

There are some nice bucks on this property, that's for sure. Let's hope he didn't spook them all out of there!

PICT0071-2-M.jpg

PICT0073-4-M.jpg

PICT0104-7-M.jpg

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
great pics. I have 4 of those Spypoint cams, too, and really like them. Is that a fence line where you set the cams?

shanevg

WKR
I also love the Spypoints. By far the best cams I've used. No it is not a fenceline just a tree in the middle of a clearcut.

OP
A

alecvg

Lil-Rokslider
Well, here is today's update. Got to the stand early this morning. All I saw was two does, had to leave early because of prior obligations. Hopefully tomorrow morning will be more productive.

OP
A

alecvg

Lil-Rokslider
Well, I headed out this morning to the stand, stayed until noon, not seeing a thing. There were a few mallards swimming in a pond nearby, so I grabbed my shotgun and shot a few for dinner. Headed to a new spot this afternoon, and started still hunting. Maybe half hour into the hunt I saw a doe, pulled up the bino's, and saw a small buck in the brush near her, so I decided to just shoot him for meat, as tag soup doesn't sound to tasty. Dropped him in his tracks, just a spike, but I got meat so I couldn't be happier. It was a great end to my biggame hunting season, spent probably over a hundred days in the field actually hunting this year, much more if I count the days I wasn't hunting. It was a great year. I will post a few pics tonight or tomorrow.

OP
A

alecvg

Lil-Rokslider
Meat Buck.

Attachments

• 1130121554.jpg
    1130121554.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 59

7mag.

WKR
A meat buck is better than no buck. I passed on several smaller bucks early in the season, and ended up eating my tag. I would have loved to shoot a meat buck the last couple of days, but I couldn't find one. Now I have a nearly empty freezer for the winter.