Aleutian Island Reindeer Hunt

buzzy

WKR
Any feedback on hunting the Reindeer heard on the Aleutian Islands. Looking at a hunt with Aleutian Adventures and I've heard good things about the outfit and animal quality. The animals aren't as big as they were a few years ago but still very nice size reindeer. Any feedback welcome. Thanks

dlvandyke

FNG
Hi Buzz
I don’t know if it’s much help but I did a DIY hunt on Adak in 2010. There was one guy there that did some outfitter type stuff but I believe he has since moved. I believe Alaska airlines still flies there, typically out of Anchorage I believe. I was successful on my last day with a bow, quite an adventure for sure. If you have any questions go ahead and send me a PM I’ll see if I can help you out.
Dani

OP
B

buzzy

WKR
Thanks for the offer Dani for info, I really appreciate it. I'm more than likely going to go with the outfitter on Umnak island as this DIY hunt is a bit out of my comfort zone. If things change I consider of going to Adak for a DIY I'll definitely get in touch with you.

AZWarts

FNG
I think their are better places to go than the chain for Caribou. One being your going to be very limited to transportation and two weather on the chain is worse than anywhere else in the state. Heavy winds and rain are garuntee along with unreliable forecasts. With that said the chain is incredibly beautiful and quite a historical place to visit that is unseen by many folks. If these factors don’t bother you and you want a hunt different than everyone else then this is it.

OP
B

buzzy

WKR
I think their are better places to go than the chain for Caribou. One being your going to be very limited to transportation and two weather on the chain is worse than anywhere else in the state. Heavy winds and rain are garuntee along with unreliable forecasts. With that said the chain is incredibly beautiful and quite a historical place to visit that is unseen by many folks. If these factors don’t bother you and you want a hunt different than everyone else then this is it.

Thanks for the input AZ. I have seen reindeer hunts in Greenland and Iceland but neither herds appear to produce the quality that I have seen on Umnak. Do you have some suggestions on areas I should take a look at? I do love the allure of hunting on the Aleutian islands and you are paying for that in the increased costs, at least with the outfitted hunt, as compared to the hunts in Iceland and Greenland. Those look like great adventures as well at a lower cost but they just look like smaller animals. Any suggestions for a reindeer hunt would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Shoot this guy an email we’ve talked several times it’s adakcaribouhunts.com you would be hunting off a very nice looks to be crab boat that is set up for the adventure and he will get you into spots that other outfitters are not able. Dave responded to my emails and sent a brochure the hunt looks awesome because your able to do more than just caribou the only down turn was getting enough people for us to fill the whole boat which if I remember correctly was 12 people have a great day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
B

buzzy

WKR
Shoot this guy an email we’ve talked several times it’s adakcaribouhunts.com you would be hunting off a very nice looks to be crab boat that is set up for the adventure and he will get you into spots that other outfitters are not able. Dave responded to my emails and sent a brochure the hunt looks awesome because your able to do more than just caribou the only down turn was getting enough people for us to fill the whole boat which if I remember correctly was 12 people have a great day.

I'll look into them. Thanks for the info.

Adkjake

FNG

What were his rates if you don't mind me asking?