All about Idaho

ptwysocki

FNG
I've recently taken a position that will be out of Boise ID. I know the big game is superb, but I'm looking into upland opportunities. I've seen they have an access yes program which seems like a great opportunity. I'm sure I'll blow my legs out chasing chukar around the mountains, but I love pheasant and quail hunting at heart. I've read pheasant hunting is a little scarce outside the WMA's and quail is cali quail and thrives in certain regions. Only downside I'm learning is that idaho is HUGE. Closest WMA for pheasant near Boise is about an hour... So, wanted to reach out to anyone here who hunts that region. What access yes plots near Boise area do you recommend for quail/pheasant? I;ll have to build the contacts for the private land access but in the meantime was hoping for direction on the public access from. any help appreciated.

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Some farmers will let you hunt on there wheat fields… it’s what I grew up doing. We always used to bribe the farmers with smoked salmon we would make!

Lots of pheasant and quail and Hungarian partridge all over Idaho. Quail being the most densely populated. I know nothing about upland down around Boise… but as long as the areas have a year long creek running thru them, and just have pockets of trees, you will get into some sort of game bird.

OP
P

ptwysocki

FNG
Some farmers will let you hunt on there wheat fields… it’s what I grew up doing. We always used to bribe the farmers with smoked salmon we would make!

Lots of pheasant and quail and Hungarian partridge all over Idaho. Quail being the most densely populated. I know nothing about upland down around Boise… but as long as the areas have a year long creek running thru them, and just have pockets of trees, you will get into some sort of game bird.
Appreciated - good advice. I'm coming from the NE where you don't have to care about habitat because it's all stocked birds. You just do your loop at the WMA of your choice and look to cover. Learning how truly wild birds favor habitat will hopefully get me on to birds sooner than later.

My main worry is living in Boise will mean I have to drive at least an hour+ to get into birds...from what I researched more likely 2hrs. I'll make the drive, and maybe I'm spoiled here having 1-2 spots within 30 minutes of me.

If anyone knows specific Access Yes areas near boise that offer enjoyable upland hunting - I'd love to hear about it (and if it has a scenic river running through it I wont complain ;)).

IdahoElk

WKR
Appreciated - good advice. I'm coming from the NE where you don't have to care about habitat because it's all stocked birds. You just do your loop at the WMA of your choice and look to cover. Learning how truly wild birds favor habitat will hopefully get me on to birds sooner than later.

My main worry is living in Boise will mean I have to drive at least an hour+ to get into birds...from what I researched more likely 2hrs. I'll make the drive, and maybe I'm spoiled here having 1-2 spots within 30 minutes of me.

If anyone knows specific Access Yes areas near boise that offer enjoyable upland hunting - I'd love to hear about it (and if it has a scenic river running through it I wont complain ;)).
You have plenty of birds right there (Quail,Chukar,Huns) start exploring along the Snake River for habitat and access, you'll be in birds.

Lucky! Sportsman's paradise. Mind speaking to what the new job is?

Always heard the Snake was good for anything from Chuckars to Ducks. That's only two letters of the alphabet though.

ndbuck09

WKR
Given that you know Idaho is huge, that is what plays into your drives for hunting. An hour is extremely common, yet isn't very far relative to the average hunter here in Boise. That means anything in that hour window is not untouched at all, rather, very touched by other hunters. The wma game is alright but not so much on Saturday mornings with a ton of people around. Also, chukar hunting has gotten to the point now with the increased media portraying it, (thanks all the hunting media for blowing up hells canyon), that its very much like elk and deer hunting in that people aren't just going to give you a spot to go because they need to protect the spots they've figured out.

As mentioned above, exploring is what you'll have to do. You've gotten a really solid tip on creeks and you could probably spend a couple seasons running around to spots purely based on this. You really want to get into studying maps as that's your ticket to success. IDFG website has a very good interactive one.

OP
P

ptwysocki

FNG
Understood. And I'm really not interested in someone else's honeyhole. I come from a 100% WMA area where its very very rare to not bump in to other people while hunting. So not encroaching on public land areas that others have found is new to me. Exploring is half the fun any how.

Do any of you have experience working the Access Yes properties near Boise? again most look like an hour or so drive...but any that offer quail and pheasant?

I'm assuming I wont have any issues getting in to chukar or huns given the terrain and location to the Snake. And eventually learn of a quail spot or two...But I'd love to keep up with the pheasant hunting. From what I've read only private lands offer this any more. So I didn't know if the Access yes program offered this or not.

Being that hte Access Yes is public to all...any insight as to which plots offer strong pheasant/quail would be great.

Again, really appreciate all the advice here.

idcuda

WKR
Welcome to Idaho.

Do you have a dog? If not, I would make that the priority. I started without a dog and that was a quick lesson. Any of the normal breeds will work - just depends on what you're looking for.

Some of the access yes properties are ok, but you'll definitely need to do some exploring and experimenting. Once you get out here and connect with some hunters, you'll get good intel. Pheasant locations are something that won't be offered up too easily, since they're tougher to come by. Seemed like pretty good numbers this year, though, so hopefully we're in an upward cycle.

Billinsd

WKR
I've recently taken a position that will be out of Boise ID. I know the big game is superb, but I'm looking into upland opportunities. I've seen they have an access yes program which seems like a great opportunity. I'm sure I'll blow my legs out chasing chukar around the mountains, but I love pheasant and quail hunting at heart. I've read pheasant hunting is a little scarce outside the WMA's and quail is cali quail and thrives in certain regions. Only downside I'm learning is that idaho is HUGE. Closest WMA for pheasant near Boise is about an hour... So, wanted to reach out to anyone here who hunts that region. What access yes plots near Boise area do you recommend for quail/pheasant? I;ll have to build the contacts for the private land access but in the meantime was hoping for direction on the public access from. any help appreciated.
I PM'd you....

WRO

WKR

I hunt quail, huns, and chukars within 45 minutes of town..

Just get out and look, lots of public and have a big running dog to search out those huns.

Pheasant dogs that don't range big will limit your success.

I don't hunt ditch chickens so I'm not sure on those, although I find a few from time to time.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Spoonbill

WKR
Understood. And I'm really not interested in someone else's honeyhole. I come from a 100% WMA area where its very very rare to not bump in to other people while hunting. So not encroaching on public land areas that others have found is new to me. Exploring is half the fun any how.

Do any of you have experience working the Access Yes properties near Boise? again most look like an hour or so drive...but any that offer quail and pheasant?

I'm assuming I wont have any issues getting in to chukar or huns given the terrain and location to the Snake. And eventually learn of a quail spot or two...But I'd love to keep up with the pheasant hunting. From what I've read only private lands offer this any more. So I didn't know if the Access yes program offered this or not.

Being that hte Access Yes is public to all...any insight as to which plots offer strong pheasant/quail would be great.

Again, really appreciate all the advice here.
I would look at some access yes places you think look good and go out there to look. Almost 4 dollar a gallon gas hurts but its going to pay dividends on knowing where to go when the season opens. You can usually find a couple more spots to hunt as well.

KurtR

WKR
My brother lives just north of bosie and has went to those wma a few times. Coming from south dakota its something to do he says. Planted birds no matter how good they are dont match wild ones. Now the duck hunting he said is great and not alot of people chase them.

mwebs

WKR
Is there any good info on the natural pheasant population in Idaho? I found a few things but nothing that great. I’m over in Eastern (North Eastern) Idaho and haven’t heard of or found pheasants outside of WMAs. Kind of sick of hunting those but at least it’s something. Going to get into duck hunting more this year and at least have an idea on those.

Hunting the WMA is a good excuse to get the dog out, however wild birds are definitely more fun. You have plenty of upland bird opportunities somewhat close to Boise. Chuckar tot the north and south, quail south and along the snake, and some fantastic waterfowl opportunities! I just moved up north so my dog and I are starting over. Good luck!

Is there any good info on the natural pheasant population in Idaho? I found a few things but nothing that great. I’m over in Eastern (North Eastern) Idaho and haven’t heard of or found pheasants outside of WMAs. Kind of sick of hunting those but at least it’s something. Going to get into duck hunting more this year and at least have an idea on those.
Poor is probably the best word for the natural population. Granted you will find a few, but most are going to be on private ground . Getting access to that ground is tough. Midvale, Cambridge and Indian Valley used to have phenomenal pheasant populations. Keywords are used to.