All around day pack

dacd4134

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry for the new thread, but I can't seem to find what I'm looking for using the search function. I vaguely remember reading a thread a while back about day packs for general everyday use, but can't remember which ones were recommended. I was hoping someone could link that thread, or we could just discuss here.

I do remember the Kifaru offerings were the Antero and Urban Zippy, but seem to remember there were a couple from other companies as well.

Thanks for any input!

OP
D

dacd4134

Lil-Rokslider
Mainly for daily around town use, weekend trips, short hikes w/ the family, small game hunting, etc...

Clinch

Lil-Rokslider
My favorite pack is the HPG Umlindi. Pretty modular and can go with a belt or belt less. I put a Maxpedition Roly-Poly on the belt for a game bag when I need it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wesfromky

WKR
I also have an Antero and really like it. Use it for EDC, along with day hiking and scouting. With the belt, it can carry a solid day hike load without issue.

Lawnboi

WKR
I don't have any of thier new offerings. But I have had an e&e for years. With a belt pouch slapped on the outside its my favorite pack for just about anything edc. I don't carry a pack daily but it makes a perfect small bag for most things, where I don't need anything large. Plus it won't run you big dollars like the others. Just one to consider if 1200 ci will do you good. Lately it's been mainly a range bag, but Iv used it as a gym bag, school bag, fishing bag, scouting, running, mountain biking, the list could go on, it's a nice little pack for odds and ends.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Antero is a badass little bag. Basically my office bag, flight bag, travel bag and camera bag. The pocket layout is perfect for me. I stuck an organizer pocket on the back. Super comfortable shoulder straps and padding as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carried the Urban Zippy for a couple of years and currently using the Antero. It goes with me everywhere from home to work to mall to ....... Either bag would be a perfect EDC day pack. I've use both for whitetail spot and stalk and treestand hunting and carrying snacks and lunch around the zoo. Both layouts are very functional and user friendly for day pack use.

oldgoat

WKR
For what a lot of the high end daypack like have been mentioned cost, I'd look at a new 22" UL frame and wait for a deal on a used bag or buy one of the new Natives until like a 22 Mag comes up in the classifieds. Then if you ever really needed to haul anything you have some capability.

OP
D

dacd4134

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the replies. I plan on picking up the Antero soon.

And oldgoat, I have an Exo for hunting/hauling stuff... :)

Pardner

FNG
I have the Antero and use it on workdays for EDC but it generally stays in that capacity and not an all-around bag. For an all-around bag I recommend (and use) the x-ray with HPG harness. The benefits over the Antero are dual stays that effectively transfer the weight when you need to carry heavy weights, the all-around molle which allows you customize to your needs (Antero has the two fixed outside pockets), and a larger top pocket for easy access (I do like the eyeglass pocket and front pocket of the Antero but prefer the x-ray's large top pocket and mesh pocket underneath). In the end, it's up how you use it, can't go wrong with either bag.

Frito

Lil-Rokslider
I use Kifaru and Mystery Ranch packs for putting weight on my hips for hunting and hiking but my old faithful day pack that I've had forever and is probably the most durable piece of gear I own is my Spec Ops THE Pack. It's probably overkill for anything short of combat, but it's a cool bag, best build quality, and I like the simple design of it. You could use this pack as a tow strap if needed. I've abused mine for more than 6 years and it still looks new.

Dave0317

Lil-Rokslider
Frito, that's my "old faithful" day pack too. Bought my Spec ops THE pack in 2006. Brought it on two deployments, several vacations, numerous hunting trips, and almost daily use as a training/range bag. Still in excellent shape. A little more "tactical" looking than I prefer to carry for civilian use these days, but a great all-around day pack. I actually would like to replace it with something less tactical looking, but it works so darn good I may never end up doing that.

Frito

Lil-Rokslider
Frito, that's my "old faithful" day pack too. Bought my Spec ops THE pack in 2006. Brought it on two deployments, several vacations, numerous hunting trips, and almost daily use as a training/range bag. Still in excellent shape. A little more "tactical" looking than I prefer to carry for civilian use these days, but a great all-around day pack. I actually would like to replace it with something less tactical looking, but it works so darn good I may never end up doing that.
I'm not really into the tactical look either, especially with all the bogus brands and new molle fads, but the THE Pack is a truly legit gear item, one of the few packs that has a "real" military presence from the time it hit the PX's in 2003 to today, so I find it acceptable on my back anywhere. I carry mine all over the world and have only got complements. I got out of the Marines right when that pack hit the ground....had I known it was coming in it's present configuration, I probably would have re-enlisted. LOL! People always talk about what's "bombproof" but that pack is the only one I own that I don't feel like I have to worry much about.

mfolch

WKR
Used an X-ray for years and loved it. Picked up a hyperlite mountain gear summit pack and have never looked back. Weighs less than a pound, waterproof, holds everything I need and can conch down small. Perfect as an edc.