All around rifle for female hunter

Teaman1

WKR
My wife is showing interest in elk hunting and is coming with me to Colorado next week (she doesn’t want a tag, just going this year). I’ve been leaning towards a 7mm-08 for her, but I’ve really been wondering on how a 30-06 or 270 would be for her.
She whitetail hunts every year in South Dakota, but just hasn’t had the opportunity to go elk hunting. I’m excited that she wants to go see what its about and maybe I can get her going every other year or so

KHntr

Lil-Rokslider
My gf has a 7/08 Kimber Montana with a 6x42/M1 Leupold on it that I set up for her.
If I didn’t like trying new rifles so much I could rule the world with that one rifle. She uses it for everything - coyotes/deer/goats/sheep/elk/moose/bears.... If I could get used to ONLY using one rifle, I would hunt everything with a Montana 7/08.

Reactions: dla
OP
Teaman1

Teaman1

WKR
She uses a 243 for deer. I had an uncle that took a few elk back in the day with a 243 and never lost one, just took safe shots. I want her to use something bigger though haha

Deere83

Lil-Rokslider
With 47 grains of powder and 135 grain bullets my 270 kicked harder than my 30.06 with 50 grains and 150 grain bullets so you can’t always directly tie recoil to diameter

desertcj

WKR
7mm-08. Very mild with 120gr bullets and a 120gr ttsx at 3000fps+ is pretty unhealthy on the receiving end. I have no doubt it would broadside an elk through and through at reasonable distances.

Get a T3x compact in 7mm08 and shoot copper solids. The most important factor there is the stock will fit her. My wife is quite petite and those Tikka compact stocks fit her like a glove and it shoots lights out. I love that gun. I mean...she loves that gun. Maybe I need to get myself one....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't really see the need to differntiate sex here. Pick the platform of rifle then mull over caliber. That should largely depend on her prefernces in action, trigger and safety type. A heavy rifle or lighter setup with a brake may be options your looking at. Depends on the type of hunting you two do. Recoil sensitivity of shooters is pretty subjective. I know a gal who uses a 338 on everything for example. I would suggest narrowing down some factory rifles that fit your hunting style and letting her handle them for fit and feel.

OP
Teaman1

Teaman1

WKR
Hoping she likes the Sako finnlight or m70 ewss. Those are the first two we’ll try.
As far as type of hunting, whitetails are private ground hunting. Anything else is diy on public land. She doesn’t have the gear yet for a pack in hunt in the mountains so we are taking a canvas tent with the wood stove for her first time. Will walk in a couple hours before sunrise each morning

Last edited:
OP
Teaman1

Teaman1

WKR
Guess I shouldn’t have singled out 1 gender in today’s world. Just trying to see what works for some others that don’t have any experience shooting magnums

hodgeman

WKR
Stock fit, stock fit, stock fit. Somewhat easier for a typical female with a short action due to a plethora of short stocked rifles. Most rifles are sized for the typical male frame- a taller female or one with long neck and arms may find they fit.

If you find a rifle that fits right, the cartridge is secondary. An ill fitting 7-08 will be just as uncomfortable as an ill fitting 30-06.

Yeah, it’s definitely necessary to specify gender here. Like it or not, males and females are different. The gun should fit the shooter. Length of pull and sight picture will be awkward unless you get her something that was either made for female or youth geometry.

16Bore

WKR
I’ve always chuckled that wives and kids need lighter calibers to shoot the same game as fellas.

Pretty funny story.....

Years ago I was a golf course superintendent...therefore I played just about every day. The best “lesson” I ever got was watching the tempo of a ladies golf swing.

Amazing how good someone can be when they don’t feel like they have something to “prove”

howl

WKR
Well, she can pick out her own rifle. First one that comes to mind is a Weatherby Camilla in a .308 class cartridge and 140gr or longer bullet.
A cartridge that will work well on deer with 120gr would be worth considering. Remington probably still makes Model Seven .260s.

WKR
I’ve always chuckled that wives and kids need lighter calibers to shoot the same game as fellas.

Pretty funny story.....

Years ago I was a golf course superintendent...therefore I played just about every day. The best “lesson” I ever got was watching the tempo of a ladies golf swing.

Amazing how good someone can be when they don’t feel like they have something to “prove”

Yet no female on the planet could play a men's tour event and be competitive...