All around rifle for female hunter

OP
Teaman1

Teaman1

WKR
As a female shooter, i know I’m a big fan of the bigger calibers. And i really like my 338 win mag and don’t think the recoil is unmanageable. If she finds a gun she likes just pick a caliber and run with it. I’ve always wanted a 7mm caliber the 7mm-08 your looking at is probably a wise choice
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’d really like it if she would shoot my 300 wsm, I just really don’t want to cause a flinch haha. She shoots well, but doesn’t get a pile of practice time, so magnums make me nervous. Who knows though, she might take recoil better than I do

Fatcamp

WKR
My wife shoots a Savage . 300WM. Out to 600 today with that, her Savage 6.5, and my Tikka 6.5.

She put in a ton of time with a . 22 and . 223 before she bought her WM. She likes it and shoots it really well.

If your user name is location based we have a few rifles your wife is welcome to shoot, from a lightweight . 308 to a big 6.5. Private range close by as well.

Fatcamp

WKR
Well, we aren't going anywhere until late November so stay in touch. My wife is a late onset shooter, but is a fine rifle shot, and might be able to offer some gender specific advice.

You can PM me here.

Because not all shots are perfect. She wants do do a moose hunt in Canada someday as well. She might as well get an all around rifle and get used to shooting it now

Right. So good bullet in 243 and a good bullet in a 300wsm, both gut shots. Is the 300wsm big enough to turn a gut shot into a lung shot?

I’m sure there’s women who are totally cool with recoil-buttttt I haven’t seen any that are cool with it who don’t flinch like a mofo. In fact, I’ve seen a bunch of dudes who flinch with a 243-imagine what they do with a bigger rifle-and none of them had any idea they were flinching.

I don’t particularly care what people choose to hunt with, but I just don’t get the logic of bigger is better. I mean, elk and moose are hunted with bows and arrows?

Fatcamp

WKR
Some people have the nerve to squeeze the trigger on recoil. Some don't. It is not gender specific I guarantee you.

OP
Teaman1

Teaman1

WKR
Right. So good bullet in 243 and a good bullet in a 300wsm, both gut shots. Is the 300wsm big enough to turn a gut shot into a lung shot?

I’m sure there’s women who are totally cool with recoil-buttttt I haven’t seen any that are cool with it who don’t flinch like a mofo. In fact, I’ve seen a bunch of dudes who flinch with a 243-imagine what they do with a bigger rifle-and none of them had any idea they were flinching.

I don’t particularly care what people choose to hunt with, but I just don’t get the logic of bigger is better. I mean, elk and moose are hunted with bows and arrows?

All else being equal, a little more diameter is better in my book, extra velocity isn’t always bad either. I’ve seen 5 very small kids shooting 7mm-08 and have zero issues. Anything over that is where I was wondering

OP
Teaman1

Teaman1

WKR
I killed 15 deer my first 3 years of hunting with a .308. I got my first job at I got my first job at 14 and my uncle talked me into buying a 300 wsm. There was a noticeably affect on the deer

howl

WKR
"These are the 34 states where hunting with a suppressor is legal:
Alabama
Arizona
Arkansas
Colorado
Florida
Georgia
Idaho
Indiana
Iowa
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Maryland
Mississippi
Missouri
Montana (varmints only, not game)
Nebraska
Nevada
New Mexico
North Carolina
North Dakota
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Washington
West Virginia
Wisconsin
Wyoming"

Bandit06

FNG
I’d go 7-08, or put a brake on a bigger caliber. A 7 mag with a good brake will have less recoil than a light 7-08 if you’re not afraid of the muzzle blast.

Last edited:
"These are the 34 states where hunting with a suppressor is legal:
Alabama
Arizona
Arkansas
Colorado
Florida
Georgia
Idaho
Indiana
Iowa
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Maryland
Mississippi
Missouri
Montana (varmints only, not game)
Nebraska
Nevada
New Mexico
North Carolina
North Dakota
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Washington
West Virginia
Wisconsin
Wyoming"

This is the answer for my wife. When she shoots anything without a suppressor her 1st shot is good and everything after that goes to hell . The shock and blast really effects her mentally. With a suppressor mounted , she shoots all of my rifles very well , including various magnums with heavy bullets.

OP
Teaman1

Teaman1

WKR
Suppressor is a good idea (I don’t have one as of now). I’m not a big fan of muzzle breaks on a whitetail rifle where I live because there is a decent chance you could be next to someone when you shoot

OP
Teaman1

Teaman1

WKR
Thanks for all the suggestions. I hadn’t thought of the 280 before but a 280R in Remington 700 mountain ss caught my eye. I’m going to buy it. If she likes it then it’ll be hers, if not, I could certainly find something to hunt with it :)

I set up a .270 with a 150 gr bullet for my small frame teenage daughter. It will kill anything in NA.

Very little recoil and plenty of downrange velocity and energy to 500 yds for elk.

Rifle brand is irrelevent, and dont't choose a caliber that makes you shoot a specific bullet for performance.

OXN939

WKR
I’ve changed my mind a couple times, and I always come back to the 7mm-08. It’ll do just about anything we’d need done in the lower 48 (we don’t shoot passed 400 yards)

Plus Alaska. This rather large-bodied Caribou bull took one step after impact with a 140 gr. 7mm-08 Nosler E Tip. Magnum calibers are a sweet way to spend more money than necessary to achieve the same thing, in most cases.

fullsizeoutput_238.jpeg

Also, yes, that is a Remington 700 Mountain SS. Great rifle.