All day(s) rain and gun care…???

How do most folks handle constant rain and taking care of rifle in the field? Just Keep rain out of barrel and wipe down each day under cover?

Obviously gun needs to be on the ready at a moment’s notice, plus keeping in bag could lead to scope condensation when removed, so it’s got to be out all the time. I guess just keep as dry as reasonably possible and don’t worry about it. Neither gun coming along is a cabinet queen, but I do want to take measures to ensure both are going to shoot on target and function properly when / if the time comes!

JPD350

WKR
This is how I will be keep my weapon ready, cover comes right off and does a pretty good job.

Attachments

• solo gun cover.jpg
    solo gun cover.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 40

WRM

WKR
I live and hunt right up the road from you, and I use that same type cover when needed. Mine is in Alpine Innovations. It is a shoot thru and doesn't have to be totally removed.

We put electrical tape over the barrel and have a scope cover. Plastic stocks and stainless guns dont need much care. Bring the guns in the tent at night. Throw sole anti fog on the scope good to go.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

OP
P
We put electrical tape over the barrel and have a scope cover. Plastic stocks and stainless guns dont need much care. Bring the guns in the tent at night. Throw sole anti fog on the scope good to go.

Have synthetic stock on one, not the other. Neither stainlesz

Last edited:

trapperJ

Lil-Rokslider

Kwack said it all..

WRM

WKR
On the wood gun, refinish it with pure Tung oil, if you are so inclined. I did a custom English walnut stock on a Marlin lever gun with it and it's waterproof.

OP
P
On the wood gun, refinish it with pure Tung oil, if you are so inclined. I did a custom English walnut stock on a Marlin lever gun with it and it's waterproof.
10-4. Exterior on one gun going is c coated although it’s no longer cabinet quality… It’s been used pretty hard having taken 68 animals in 15 years… but exterior sure not going to accept tung oil. Inside of stock would, though. Might not be a bad idea…. ???

Also looking at chest holsters now for my .44 S&W 629. Going to hold off on that. I’m going to be so over weight. Would be comforting to have full time / hands free / quickly accessible gun on me. It’s a pretty bulky gun. Will cross that bridge later.

Last edited:
Flip up lens caps, tape over muzzle, wood stock use a good carnuba paste wax especially in the barrel channel, go hunting, when back in camp wipe dry, let the rifle sit out do not case, and I also carry a face cloth that has been soaked in 10 wt motor oil then wrung out and hung in the sun for a few days (keep it in a zip lock bag) once the rifle is totally dry wipe down the gun with the oil rag, if you do not want too use oil saturate with wd-40 or ballistol Once back home totally dis-assemble the rifle and very carefully clean and oil.

OP
P
Flip up lens caps, tape over muzzle, wood stock use a good carnuba paste wax especially in the barrel channel, go hunting, when back in camp wipe dry, let the rifle sit out do not case, and I also carry a face cloth that has been soaked in 10 wt motor oil then wrung out and hung in the sun for a few days (keep it in a zip lock bag) once the rifle is totally dry wipe down the gun with the oil rag, if you do not want too use oil saturate with wd-40 or ballistol Once back home totally dis-assemble the rifle and very carefully clean and oil.
10-4.

Any good off brand flip up lense caps out there? Leupold wants like $90 each. That’s $360 on lense caps for both guns.

crossone

FNG
Definitely lens caps on your scopes. I prefer the Bizzards because you can see through them, so, quicker. I go stainless steel but I don't believe it's essential. Also, considerable testing has been done on the best corrosion resistant gun oils. The following link is a good test.

Also, electrical tape over the end of the barrel is awesome. I've been doing it for years and shots out to at least 600 yards appear to be unaffected by the tape. I use the tape always as it keeps all debris out of the barrel, even during dry weather (like dust and pine needles), and has virtually no effect on external ballistics as far as my range testing and field testing have ever been able to detect. I use good electrical tape and keep a small roll in my pack to replace it after the shot.

With good oil, scope caps, and tape over the end of the barrel, I'm good for all bad weather.

Cross

bairdi

FNG
I’m a fan of the leupold scope caps. Have been using the same set since 2007 and they’ve been through quite a few wet sheep, caribou, goat, moose and bear hunts. So far they’ve been great. Of course, with my luck, now that I posted this, I’ll have a problem with them tomorrow when I go looking for a moose in the rain. Make sure your leupold scope has the correct threads for them before purchasing.