All day sits. Who does it?

All day for me as well. I pack some snacks and a book to keep me occupied through the slow times and stay in the stand from dark til dark.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I saw the biggest whitetail I've ever seen in person at 2:45 PM on Monday afternoon. No shot opportunity unfortunately. Was one of those deer I seriously considered running after into the woods haha.

BDRam16

WKR
I do during the rut if I don’t have my buck tag filled yet. Last two years I’ve shot my my buck pretty early in the season. 10/19 this season and 11/11 last season. Last year it was actually my first planned all day sit and I shot at 8:30am.

Poser

WKR
When I used to hunt Whitetails, I would sometimes hunt from 9am to dark during the rut if I was doing back to back or consecutive days. That took the bite off the grind of getting up and getting in a tree before first light and also allowed me capitalize off of hunters moving around mid morning and mid afternoon. I’d often see movement between 11 and 2. If you’re trying to put as much time as possible into sitting over a terrain funnel for consecutive days, I found that strategy a good way to maximize the time without getting too burned out.

Wilderness Spirit

Lil-Rokslider
I have sat from dark to dark many times hunting whitetails either in archery season or rifle season.
One of my biggest bucks I shot around 2:00 in the afternoon on the third consecutive day of an all day sit.

Dark to dark sits are a must during the rut. My biggest deer on camera last year came through at 2pm on 11/1. This was on public land.

Lowg08

WKR
I sit all day when I can. Some days I have to get the kids from school so it’s before daylight til 1. When my boy goes he is still kinda young so we will sit til he is done. Sometimes it’s 10:00 am sometimes it’s 1:00pm sometimes it’s all day.

TheGDog

WKR
That's how I got my first 3 bucks soo far. dark-to-dark. From the ground, in the leafy suit, sittin' on the REI Helinox knock-off that's made for larger sized folks. The leafy suit is awesome! Makes most of the bugs leave ya alone, until they see you move again, anyway.

Can be real hard on your spirit though going whole damn day dark-to-dark not seeing anything. That part can be very taxing on my spirit sometimes... only because my day-to-day is also soo very isolated wroking remotely like I do for as long as I have (20yrs straight so far) But sometimes bobcat cruises thru or a coyote bops along thru. If it's during the season, I won't take the chance on shooting the coyote and having the noise make every deer within a huge radius flee in terror. And rt now bobcats are banned from take due to Newsom's stupid A$$ making eco choices from the ballot box of public opinion and pressure from greenies, freakin 'tard.

I have done a lot of all day sits. I have had all different kinds of days, dark to dark being skunked, non stop traffic throughout the day but I agree when guys say 10-3 is when I’ve seen some of my biggest bucks in archery season. It’s a real grind when you get into the 4th and 5th day in a row of all day sits.

OMB

WKR
It's a lot easier when I'm judicious about doing an all day sit. If I know the wind is shifting throughout the day, or there's a better area for an afternoon sit that I can't get into in the morning, or because I'm hunting in hilly country, the thermals play a huge role, I'll shift stands and take a quick break to recharge. I'm only doing a few all day sits per season when the wind and thermals are going to allow it.

For example, tomorrow morning I'm planning on hunting a travel corridor on a ridgeline where the wind/thermals/stand entrance route make it viable, and the snow/rain is supposed to stop around noon. Depending what I'm seeing, I'll hunt until 11AM, come back to the house and work from my laptop for 45-60 mins, and then head back out to the other side of the farm where it sets up better for an afternoon hunt. On a smaller property (130 acres, 2/3 open 1/3 wooded) it helps me not to burn stand sites out.

Anecdotally, I think a lot of guys pull up stakes by 10AM, and whether it's rut behavior, or human pressure caused movement during gun season, that 10AM-noon period has put more than a few nice bucks on the ground for me.

TheGDog

WKR
I can handle a few a year but it's a really test for me. You guys that do 4 or 5 in a row are unhuman.
That is true. For me my job and working remote from home all these years I think it makes me able to do MUCH better with overcoming and persisting in spite of that feeling, than a younger me would have ever been able to. I'm at my core Impatient. But I love the thrill of the take soo much I'm willing to pay that toll in order to make it happen.

Interestingly this year was different because was hunting in a new area and first time in true Alpine/Mtn type habitat. So I tried to focus on being more proactive and using glass to try a spot-and-stalk. A first for me. Since there I could look across a massive slope in front of me. And with the distances, it demanded that I cut the distance since I've never really practiced long range stuff. Which meant hoofin it up raw endlessly buckthorn covered hillside. Couldn't make it happen solo, too much looking at feet while closing the distance must have allowed him to slip out on me. Wish I was fortunate enough to have like that other dude on a spotter with coms in my ear guiding me in. Made me appreciate how powerful of a tool that would be having the dedicated spotter dude to guide you with the high-level overview picture when you can't see it.

Last edited:
Depends on the stand and what I know about the area. I spent my youth hunting dark to dark judiciously in the same spot. Now I've got a few areas pegged and I know some spots are morning or evening stands, others are all day stands. I've got 4 or 5 all day sits in this year. Depending on my field of view and the situation I'll throw one ear bud in and listen to something on low on audible or a podcast for an hour here and there. Pat Mcmanus helped me make it all day a few times this week.