All day sits. Who does it?

I started last year or the year before sitting all day. I grew up where I hunt, but it’s 45 minutes from home. My parents don’t live here anymore. I used to leave for an hour or so and run up to the local store and get something to eat. Had 13 days off in a row last year thru the rut and quickly learned that was gonna be an expensive time to be off. So now days I pack a lunch. It’s to far really to drive back and forth for a morning and evening sit. I’ve had as much luck this year seeing deer in the middle of the day as I have morning or evening. Couldn’t tell you the number of bobcats I’ve seen stirring in the middle of the day. I’ve yet to see a mature buck tho. Even if I don’t sit all day, I’ll sit as long as I can. Had other obligations yesterday and sat till 1. Today is an all day sit. I need to get some work done at home and tomorrow is supposed to be 70. Sounds like a good day to hunt till about 130 and get the kids from school and knock out the chores. Then it’s all day sits until I go back to work on the 29th. Minus thanksgiving.

Im rarely ever in the woods before 8am… and almost never hunt after 4. On average I hunt 4.5 hours each outing. I also rarely ever hunt a full moon phase (+- 2 days) unless its an overcast night and day. I’ve killed all my bucks from 12-3 during new moons or half moons, or with overcast skies during full.

The tricky part with this approach is getting to a spot undetected, but i have my ways…

Berger024

WKR
All-day sits can definitely pay off. I have had them work on 4 occasions and all happened within 2 hours of last light, go figure... If you're bow hunting, make sure you stretch and get the blood flowing in your limbs a few times throughout the day. I had one hell of an experience trying to draw my bow on my first all-day sit, 15 mins before last light. The draw seemed a lot harder and heavier than I remembered - haha.
An hour before first light to 45 mins to an hour after last light is no joke. I love the mental games and when it all comes together, it definitely is worth it.

Last edited:
depends on stand location & time of the year. During the Pre-rut when the mature bucks are running day & night looking for the first hot doe i will sit in a transition area or in between bedding areas all day everyday i can until tag is filled. I won't sit a stand on food plot all day unless the food plot is positioned in the middle of the woods where you can catch bucks cruising. I think 11-2 is prime time. During the peak of the rut it seams like the mature bucks are locked down with their does and i only see young bucks cruising. Just my 2 cents

Actual_Cryptid

Lil-Rokslider
I do. If I have to take a little biological intervention I'll aim for noon, typically a little slower.

I download a bunch of podcasts the night before a hunt and just listen to something in one ear to keep my brain occupied so I don't drift and forget to scan. Leave one ear open because sometimes they decide to sneak up on you.

All day sits......
Not during September and October for me.
But Halloween till end of January i do.
It is absolutely amazing what goes on when you sit all day in November.
Late season south facing slopes with cover are a bee hive of activity mid day on a fridgidly cold day.
As always before I do all day sits a lot of scouting and planning has gone into the location I'm sitting in. Usually it only takes a day or 2 but I will grind the days out if necessary

ethan

WKR
I sit dark to dark as often as possible from late October and through November. Sometimes it’s in the same tree and sometimes I’ll move after mid day for a different evening spot. It use to be really challenging for me but it’s much easier now, maybe I’m just getting old!

ffiivvee

Lil-Rokslider
I like to sit all day in November providing that the WIND isn't brutal. I mostly am in the saddle so am especially vulnerable to the wind if it's bad enough

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmez

WKR
Not for me. I've done it a few times. I dont like it, not fun, no desire to do it again.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

During archery I rarely sit past 11:00. During rifle I never leave the tree. Killed a good buck at 12:30 ish this year.

Sit all day today, only saw two deer but both were bucks, just not shooters. Back tomorrow for round two.

When I lived in the northeast, my best bucks were killed between 10 and 2 in early/ mid November.

Timing is key. Also location.. obviously. In my experience early and late season, when an assumed bed to feed pattern is all that's going on, you won't see shit mid day, but depending on when bucks start cruising, early November down wind of known doe bedding areas or standing corn is pretty lethal for mature bucks... if they live close by

Sitting all day plain sucks. Pure torture. It's easier for me to walk around the mountains all day than to sit still and quiet in a tree, though it pays off if you put the time in at the right spot.

Last edited:
I usually try to do it a few times a year. Opening day of rifle season here in Michigan I always sit sun up to sun down. There is so much pressure here in northern Michigan that they move all day and I've seen a lot of big bucks during mid day.