All day sits. Who does it?

Ringtail

FNG
I do it sometimes. I have to “believe” that they will be moving all day long considering the conditions. But if weather and stuff aren’t right for it I don’t do it. It’s a tough thing to do.

wweaver

FNG
If my schedule is clear I will for sure. I have killed as many big bucks after 10am as before. November 4/5 until 21/22ish especially.

jedi

FNG
i love all day sits in a stand. i would do it every year if i didnt have so many other adventures to try out but late season archery in wa, its a 12+ hour sit day. ive seen too much action happen throughout the day, i just cant leave. that feeling of the unknown while sitting in camp would eat me alive. cant kill a deer if youre not out there

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
I've done it - twice in Nebraska - in horribly cold conditions. The only way it worked for me each time was because I had prepped very well for the weather, it was during the rut, and I saw a GIANT buck (and many other deer) early enough to keep me interested. And each time I thought about climbing down, he showed up again. The first year he was with a doe (I have video of them mating) banging and bedding down for hours - just out of range. I saw him again the next year from the same stand. That buck is in my dreams.

I would do it again in a heartbeat, but I'd prefer to be in a bit warmer weather!

Anschutz

Lil-Rokslider
I've done it on highly pressured public land in Virginia. Opening day of rifle there was when I learned that you were allowed to hunt deer with dogs. I only saw 4 deer that whole season and none gave a shot opportunity.

kit_man_duu

Lil-Rokslider
I sit from dark to dark when hunting highly pressured public land. I have had very good luck doing this over the years.

OneGunTex

FNG
I've done it, but only when on a long infil on public land. Would take too much out of my day to hike back to the truck, eat/get warm, and go out for an afternoon sit. And in that case I tend to get out of the tree and go on a walkabout midday, ground scent be d@mned. Don't think I could hang in a saddle for 12hrs of freezing silence without a bit of movement.

When on private or some of the smaller tracts of public, even if I'm sitting in the same spot in the afternoon I'll go back to the truck/camp at some point to warm up & eat. But rarely 10-2, more like 11-1.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

satchamo

WKR
I mean yeah you can sit all day but I’d say like 98% or spots ARE NOT all day sits and you’re wasting a shit load of time and leaving way more sign of yourself being in the area. Not many spots exist where deer move BOTH morning and evening. It’s like 75/25 or 25/75 percentage of movement morning/evening. So why would you not get out and go to the 75% spot in both the morning and evening?

I have 25 stands out in Southern IL. 2 of them might be worth all day sits….

Last edited:

Ktwebb33

FNG
It just depends for me…I’ll do all day sits, or the more traditional morning/evening. With that said, I’ve jumped a lot more deer coming or going after morning hunts, or before evening hunts than I ever have on all day sits 😂

Ktw, your the kind of guy I like, I sit you walk, the deer come right my way checking their back trail and paying no attention too whats in the neighborhood. Except what spooked them. I have a buddy like that will wonder around in the woods all day drives the deer right too ya, he always askes what I do too kill deer, when he says all he gets is a flash of a tail.

Muddler

Lil-Rokslider
Good for you guys that can do it, all day sits are pure torture for me. I can do a couple hours max. Then I gotta still hunt.

Pk_in_Dallas

Lil-Rokslider
All day sits during November when I go up to Alberta or Saskatchewan for whitetail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only from approximately October 26 till 2nd gun season in Illinois. Hunting on the ground helps. Helps you get stretched out, move my old bones, and take a leak. Sitting in a metal stand all day is getting to be about impossible for me.

Twtxga

FNG
I always will go back in for lunch. Im too ADD to not switch my morning and afternoon spots

You're the kind of guy I like to hunt in the same area with, when younger my dad would always say there's, a deer coming soon, just sit still and be quiet. I would ask how you know that he would say lunch time the rest of the hunters are heading back to camp or their trucks for lunch, 90% of the time along would come a deer or two. When I go into the woods I go in before daylight and stay till to dark to shoot, on the same stand has not failed me yet and I been hunting deer a long time.

Lowg08

WKR
I can go in mid morning and sit till dark, but that dark to dark stuff
is downright medeival torture.
I actually try to enjoy my hunts.
I’m a glutton for punishment. I stay all
Day nearly everytime