All day sits. Who does it?

I often hunt all day, arriving on stand an hour before sunup and stay till 30 minutes after sundown, hunting every legal minute. I find it relaxing and I don't get bored. Most of my hunting is from treestands, very comfortable treestands. I only come down if I've got a deer down or if it's so cold that I can't stand it anymore. Then I explore a nearby area until the walking has warmed me up and then I go back up my tree stand. Most of this hunting is on public land in PA. I hunt there this way for the opening week of gun season.

I can go in mid morning and sit till dark, but that dark to dark stuff
is downright medeival torture.
I actually try to enjoy my hunts.
Actually, it is just a matter of preparation I take things that will keep me busy if the movement is slow, like a book to read, plenty of food water and snacks that type of thing. The other thing is having a comfortable stand, I find it very pleasing to watch the different wildlife such as squirrel, chipmunks and birds go about their daily chores. The other thing is as daylight approaches it is interesting to watch what I call shift change as the night critters go to sleep and the day critters wake up. No torture here.

FLATHEAD

WKR
I'm rarely in a stand before daylight as my bowels have become very timely.
Right about sunrise things start "percolating".
I enjoy it myself though. It's just physically brutal. This old body just cant
sit all cramped up like that for very long. I need to move.

BasinBuck

FNG
I usually only hunt morning until 12-1pm, but a couple weeks ago I did a 12 hour in a saddle. I haven't killed a deer this season (just getting back into it after 20+ years), so I was pretty motivated to stay out all day. Honestly it wasn't bad at all though. The saddle made it easy to get comfortable without any back pain.

ClayA23

FNG
I also sit all day during November. As others have said, being comfortable is priority 1 for me.

Scottyboy

WKR
I sit for as long as I can, which changes throughout the early bow season with good weather I can sit 6-8 hours. Late gun season when it’s cold; I’m good for maybe 2-3 hours. Just not worth it, IMO

I usually prefer to hunt a morning spot and then an evening spot so I don't just hang out in no man's land. During the late prerut I love sitting till noon or 1 on a bedding area and then going to a good food source for the evening. I don't have the patience to pull a ton of all day sits so I save them for when it counts most. I have sat all day and if the conditions are right and will do it if I have to. Snacks, podcasts, books are a must.
Shot this guy on October 30th at 11:30, 15 min after shooting the biggest doe I have ever seen. IMG_20211104_224340_810.jpg

Squirrels

WKR
I will, but the reason varies. Sometimes I sit all day if movement has been good. I will also sit all day if I am only going to be out of the stand for only a couple hours before I come back. Let's say I hunt till 11AM and plan to be back in by 1 or 2 then I may just stay so I'm not disturbing things for such a short break.

Coastie6

FNG
Have always done sun up to sun down sits in the stand. Like a lot have already mentioned, I've killed some of my best whitetail between 1300-1500. I've always thought it might be attributed to other hunters moving out of the woods to head home.

During the rut is almost a given, and I’ve had really good success planning to sit all day on quota hunts… every one heading out around lunch time really gets the deer on their feet

Hall17

FNG
Depends on the day/time of year. If its a weekday during the rut and I took off then yes. Not just because I think its a good idea but I just love being out in the woods hunting. I would say most of my hunts (90% of them) are morning till 11am or afternoon into evenings because of work. Don't hunt much on the weekends anymore.

Rmuncey

FNG
You have to get your mind right to sit all day. I don’t see the point if I feel confident in a spot and the wind stays the same why move if I’m going to hunt the evening? This statement is about 99% rut hunting a funnel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jimh406

WKR
As someone who watches the deer/Elk on my property, it’s hard to say when the animals might show up. If you looked at the wrong time, you’d never know that I have 60 or more deer on my property at a time and sometimes a herd of Elk. If you like to walk, that’s fine, but just keep in mind that deer/Elk move very fast and a place with none could be a place with many in a few hours or the next day.

TnRanger

FNG
I usually play it out and see what I’m seeing and how the wind plays out. If everything feels good I can hang all day.

tntrker

WKR
I hunt public land so I'm set, in a tree, an hour before daylight and don't come down until dark. Hoping things get pushed my way as others come and go through out the day..even on "away hunts". I actually called my own moose in while the guide was taking a nap around 1pm....