All my Spypoint cameras set to stop working

jmz82

FNG
I just got an email from spypoint that all my cameras will stop transmitting in a few months due to the discontinuation of 3g-HSPA. Spypoint wants me to buy all new cameras, they are offering $50 off MSRP which really isn't much less than I often see them for sale for anyway. I contacted them and all they really had to say was sorry this is our decision.

Everyone always complains about the camera reliability, ive experienced it with every camera but i could usually get them to work by doing firmware updates. But now with this and them wanted me to spend hundreds of dollars just to have functioning cameras again I'm done with them. So frustrating.

OP
J

jmz82

FNG
They didn't shut down the network. Frustrating but reality is that tech can be affected by other tech.
I agree the truth is that every other Cellular device I have will continue to function. And after having such a large investment into their system why would reinvest in it again if they are designed in a way that is 100% dependent on a single network band.

I haven't heard if other camera manufacturers are going to experience the same issue with their cameras. No way I'm going to help them make money off of this issue especially with the reliability issues I've had.

I bought all new cards before season started so I could update them to the newest software. Got all that squared away and they cameras never took the new software. I’m not upset that I bought the cards, but wasting my time with the updates was a pain. I also bought a 2 pack back in sept. One of the cameras worked for about 2 months and just quit. Took several conversations but they finally sending me a new one. Like you, I’m tired of wasting my time with them to just be told sorry about your luck.

OP
J

jmz82

FNG
Its their nationwide (at&t and t-moble) cameras that are 3g. Im not sure when they stopped selling these and started the lte ones but i dont think it was all that long ago.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

tdhanses

WKR
Anything running on 3G will not work in the next year or sooner no matter the carrier, as all carriers are shutting down their 3G networks in the next year and moving that spectrum to newer tech, this even includes many phones the carriers customers have.

Understandable frustration but that isn't a spypoint thing. It's a tower and signal thing. That being said I never had much luck with oicture quality or reliability out if my 2 spypoints I had anyways. If your looking at getting new cams I would look into reveal. Been running them for 2 years and haven't looked back. They are the best bang for your buck in the cell camera world.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

OP
J

jmz82

FNG
I get that its not directly them but they were selling cameras with outdated tech. 5g was out and they were still selling 3g only cameras. Someone that sells products like this needs to be better focused on the future.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I get that its not directly them but they were selling cameras with outdated tech. 5g was out and they were still selling 3g only cameras. Someone that sells products like this needs to be better focused on the future.

Is it their fault for selling them? Or is it the consumer's fault for buying 3G tech in the days of 5G? Nothing lasts forever in the tech world.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
J

jmz82

FNG
Its not like they brand it as 3g, nothing lasts forever but more than a year or two would be nice. If you bought a phone and it quit working after a year is that the opinion you would have? If so your argument is fair.