All New 2022 Tundra Leaked.....

OP
Broomd

Broomd

WKR
I get it, you want to renew you vows for Toyota, just drive another brand.
Not sure if that's directed towards me? Re. vows, I have a Tundra, a Yaris and Lexus in the garage.
It's about figuring out the vehicle and being okay with spending 50 large.

Last edited:

Schism

WKR
Yesterday I drove a '22 crew max, 3.5L, 6.5' bed, loaded SR5 4x4. I wasn't "wowed" by the external appearance of the pickup and the interior will take some getting used to. However I was impressed with the ride, the handling, the power and the creature comforts. There is a lot to like about this pickup and I think Toyota will sell a bunch of them.

CoStick

WKR
Not sure if that's directed towards me? Re. vows, I have a Tundra, a Yaris and Lexus in the garage.
It's about figuring out the vehicle and being okay with spending 50 large.

Leave the ad hom sh t outta this thead.
I was pointing out that when you drive other brands it reminds you why you own a Toyota. Worth the money.

RS3579

WKR
The warranty is 3/36,000 and 5/60,000 powertrain. I was hoping for a 5/100,000 powertrain. The certified now has a 7/100,000 powertrain. More incentive to hold out for a low mile certified.

RAPTOR

WKR
I think the guys touting the Toyota reliability have a good argument for the 21 and older trucks. The 22 is all new powertrain and there ain't shit for longevity numbers yet...so the longevity argument doesn't hold up for these yet. Plus I think they're ugly, and the reviews have been blah

MattB

WKR
I think the guys touting the Toyota reliability have a good argument for the 21 and older trucks. The 22 is all new powertrain and there ain't shit for longevity numbers yet...so the longevity argument doesn't hold up for these yet. Plus I think they're ugly, and the reviews have been blah
How many 1st year lemons by Toyota can you name?

OP
Broomd

Broomd

WKR
Quick story, sorry for the length...
The only new vehicle I have ever owned was an all new 2000 Tundra sr5 4wd. That all-new offering had just replaced the T100 in the lineup.
My wife bought the truck for me in Anchorage when she was down there on business. I was up in Fairbanks when she called and shared the great news.
About a year later we were near Tok, Alaska with the kids on a family moose hunt. I had a trailer with atvs on it, and a popup camper in the truck bed. We took a good bull on that hunt, and on the way home my year-old Tundra blew the transmission. We limped into Fast Eddies there in Tok.
I called Auto Service Co, in Fairbanks--was friends with the service manager. He was very concerned about the failure.
I'll never forget loading our moose game bags and head/cape into the storage underneath a senior citizen tour bus from Tok to Fairbanks to catch a ride home. We were the defacto tour guides for the folks on the bus. It was an adventure for them.
The dealer picked up the truck and Toyota aired in a new trans and it was installed within the week.

That particular truck is one of the best ever made, but that trans failed in a first year production.

Last edited:

MattB

WKR
Quick story, sorry for the length...
The only new vehicle I have ever owned was an all new 2000 Tundra sr5 4wd. That all-new offering had just replaced the T100 in the lineup.
My wife bought the truck for me in Anchorage when she was down there on business. I was up in Fairbanks when she called and shared the great news.
About a year later we were near Tok, Alaska with the kids on a family moose hunt. I had a trailer with atvs on it, and a popup camper in the truck bed. We took a good bull on that hunt, and on the way home my year-old Tundra blew the transmission. We limped into Fast Eddies there in Tok.
I called Auto Service Co, in Fairbanks--was friends with the service manager. He was very concerned about the failure.
I'll never forget loading our moose game bags and head/cape into the storage underneath a senior citizen tour bus from Tok to Fairbanks to catch a ride home. We were the defacto tour guides for the folks on the bus heading home. It was an adventure for them.
The dealer picked up the truck and Toyota aired in a new trans and it was installed within the week.

That particular truck is one of the best ever made, but that trans failed in a first year production.
Did Toyota have a recall on that year’s Tundra for widespread transmission issues or was that an isolated incident?

OP
Broomd

Broomd

WKR
Did Toyota have a recall on that year’s Tundra for widespread transmission issues or was that an isolated incident?
Not to my knowledge, Matt. Best I can tell it was a one-off incident.
The point is that no manufacturer is perfect, sh t happens.

MattB

WKR
Totally agree, but I would still take a 1st year Toyota model over any Chevy, Chrysler or Ford from a reliability standpoint.

OP
Broomd

Broomd

WKR
No argument here. Toyota may lack some things from a tech and development standpoint, but reliability is it's own reward.
Can't even begin to list the incredible places we've been and experienced, all trouble-free since that one Sept. of 2000 incident.
Virtually all of the Toyota guys following this thread would say the same thing.

MattB

WKR
No argument here. Toyota may lack some things from a tech and development standpoint, but reliability is it's own reward.
Can't even begin to list the incredible places we've been and experienced, all trouble-free since that one Sept. of 2000 incident.
Virtually all of the Toyota guys following this thread would say the same thing.
Yup. I am on my 5th 4runner (1985, 1998, 2006, 2013, and 2018). I usually sell them to a buddy at ~150k miles, and the only mechanical failure I have had was a starter that failed at 95K on my ‘98.

RAPTOR

WKR
Lemons are individual trucks, and like it or not they exist. Chronic problems? I don’t know, they’ve kept the same engine/trans in the tundra since 2007. So in the last 15 years? Probably none since it hasn’t changed. Don’t get your panties in a wad over truck manufacturers. No one’s perfect, but hedging your bet with Toyota is generally safe. This is also an all new power train for the Tundra so no one actually knows.

ODB

WKR

I vaguely remember an issue with the early first Gen transmissions and the 4th planetary gear failing. I don’t think there was an overall recall, but guys were taken care of as you say. My guess is it was a gear supplier issue and it was impossible to tell which gear (probably several lots of gears) went into which transmission. Hard to do a total recall on something that is literally hit or miss.

My 02 is at 235k. Hanging in pretty damn well.

OP
Broomd

Broomd

WKR
So...
Ordered a new '22 Tundra today, $500 deposit done.
Was pleasantly surpried when Roger's Toyota texted with an allocation I was actually interested in, they have 40 deposits there right now for various tundra trims. I test drove the crewmax there two weeks ago.
I compromised in a few areas. Opted for the basic SR in white, doublecab, 6.5 bed, 4WD. Truck is pretty well loaded for that basic trim.
For today's insane prices I thought the 'out the door' $41,393 ask was a decent deal. MSRP, no markups or add-ons. The tow package isn't in that quote but should be added for $430 on the production line--per my request. I'll add some new eBay TRD take-off wheels in lieu of the steelies.

The 22 gallon tank has been my point of contention, but wife talked me off the ledge on that.
If I need it, I'll add the bigger tank down the line.

Suspect this thing will be worth what I paid for it for awhile, time will tell.
Build date is 2/14.

Last edited:
OP
Broomd

Broomd

WKR
So....thought I'd post this. You guys know I roll the good and bad. Appears to be a small selection of '22s affected with turbo issues. Apparently the right bank turbo has a wastegate 'sticky' issue.
This engine isn't new, it's basically the same proven spooled motor in the LS500 Lexus, as such has lots of miles behind it and stellar reviews. however, suppliers can drop the ball and may have done so with some of these turbos.
Watching closely.

Fwiw, some of us remember the new 2007 5.7 tundra crank issues.. bottom line, sh t happens and this recent stuff should get sorted.

Falro

FNG
Welp, after a ridiculously long stint for the current gen Tundra (and what seems like eternity waiting for the newest incarnation) these authentic 2022 photos leaked today.
Toyota's all new pickup will very likely be powered by a twin turbo 3.5 V6, a workhorse in the Lexus lineup and an engine just revealed as the standard powerplant for the non-U.S. Landcruiser for 2022. The Landcruiser also gets a turbodiesel 3.5 option. Hey, we can dream.
A V8 option for the 2022 Tundra appears to be very unlikely.
A hybrid V6 will join the standard Tundra offering, there is a rumored full-electric derivation expected later on.

Hopeful that Toyota still offers a double cab version. At 6'6'' I've never been a fan of the crew max, but rather enjoy the 'front cab' priority of the double cab.
I've also always been more about the mileage than the grunt, but at 409 projected horsepower, the twin turbo V6 sounds stout. Hoping that 22-24 mpg is a reality in 2022, those numbers are way overdo for Toyota.
Looking forward to test driving and hopefully owning this truck.... Anyone else psyched?!

After years of the same motors and transmissions I’ll let other people spend the money and test the waters before I look into buying one

OP
Broomd

Broomd

WKR
Curious if any slider's have taken the '22 plunge yet.
Appears the turbo issues are limited to a spec batch of supply. Seeing more and more '22s out there on the road.

After a fair amount of deliberation, opted to pass on the SR package. As this is only the second new whip I've ever owned, (the other a newly debuted 2000 Tundra) will be stepping up to the SR5 Off Road, Premium Pkg. Super White. That 32 gallon tank and the electronic rear locker are really great options. Too good to pass on.
Playing with house money on this purchase thanks to some fortuitous stock trades/holds, might as well splurge.
Build date 2/24/22.

Last edited:

ODB

WKR
Curious if any slider's have taken the '22 plunge yet.
Appears the turbo issues are limited to a spec batch of supply. Seeing more and more '22s out there on the road.

After a fair amount of deliberation, opted to pass on the SR package. As this is only the second new whip I've ever owned, (the other a newly debuted 2000 Tundra) will be stepping up to the SR5 Off Road, Premium Pkg. Super White. That 32 gallon tank and the electronic rear locker are really great options. Too good to pass on.
Playing with house money on this purchase thanks to some fortuitous stock trades/holds, might as well splurge.
Build date 2/24/22.

That's awesome. I saw my first '22 the other day and must say they look better in person than in pics. Have fun with it. I kind of want to drive one to see what the power delivery is like.