All New 2022 Tundra Leaked.....

How do other mfgs have 1/2 ton diesels?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
It just cost alot of money to do it.
I'm assuming by there always good sales numbers and the fact they hardly ever even give a minor discount there bean counters have concluded its simply not worth it.

I think the market share of people buying half ton diesels is fairly small. I think most people that want diesels just get a heavy duty.

It just the cost to get them in emissions compliance.

Heck caterpillar quit producing on road diesels when the new standards hit in 2013.

I don’t know about that 17mpg…everything I’ve read says about 12-14 mpg average. If your getting 17mpg that’s pretty good.

Depends on how/where you drive. My 2015/double cab/5.7 averaged 15.7 (22 gallons per fill-up, 340/350 miles) before I sold it and bought a 2021. That was mostly highway driving and towing my boat now and again. After moving and reducing my commute to 8 miles round-trip in-town, my new 2021 with the same engine averages 14.2. Thats 310/320 miles on 22 gallons.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I suspect Toyota believes the more options you give, the more likely you are to screw up, the harder to train, the harder it is to vet that it will work as desired. Based on my experience in manufacturing, I would suspect they are right. I'v seen the other manufacturers offer a dizzying array of options, and huge discounts at times, and struggle a fair amount with reliability and quality.

Rob5589

WKR
Is 17mpg really that bad for a full size 400hp v8 truck? I just picked up a 2016 tundra and am stoked with the gas mileage compared to my 6.0 gas Sierra.

I know the trend in full size trucks is turbo v6 but man that adds a lot of complexity and shh to go wrong

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

I had an 08 Double cab long bed and I got 12 mpg on average all day long. That thing had a 26 gallon tank that the gas light came on at 6 gallon mark. Sucked getting gas all the damn time. Dont get me wrong I loved that truck so much I bought a 2021 Double cab Long bed with the 38 gallon tank. I now average 12.6 mpg. The best I have seen out of either truck is 15.5 on long road trip. The mileage sucks for sure but it is a badass V8 truck. 24-25 mpg would be pretty slick for sure .

It can be done. My 19 Ram crew cab 4x gets close to 22 hwy and aves 18 combined driving. There is no reason Toyota should not be the same or better with the new engine.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Ford, Chevy and dodge all have a half ton diesel options in the us so theres definitely a way to put a diesel in the tundra
Toyota has had a diesel in their pickups since the 70's, in fact I'm pretty sure they used to have one here in the states way back when. They also have had them in their overseas landcruisers for decades. So ya.......it's definitely possible........just a matter of clearing it through our bureaucratic red tape. And therein lies the problem.

amassi

WKR
Toyota has had a diesel in their pickups since the 70's, in fact I'm pretty sure they used to have one here in the states way back when. They also have had them in their overseas landcruisers for decades. So ya.......it's definitely possible........just a matter of clearing it through our bureaucratic red tape. And therein lies the problem.
Yea the middle east and south east asia is also full of diesel toyotas.
It appears the red tape relies on the avg mpg of your fleet and toyotas fleet is over the minimum so the lack of a diesel in the Tacoma and tundra comes from hq

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

My Cummins gets better mileage than any Toyota I have ever owned. By several mpg at that. Love my Toyota’s but they really need to get the mpg thing sorted out. My first gen tundra has crap for power and uses so much fuel I need a transfer tank in the back to fuel myself up lol

OP
Broomd

Broomd

WKR
The latest on the new '22 Tundra, including the first actual DoubleCab photos available....

The word is that there will be a more offical unveiling around 9/19.

OP
Broomd

Broomd

WKR
I have a 2017 and will gladly keep driving until it dies. The 2022 is one fugly truck imo
That grille can use some thought, imho, but I like the rest of the truck. The thought of 24 mpg really is encouraging....tired of piss poor mileage of the 4.6, 4.7 and 5.7 in prior trucks. Inexcusable in 2021!