All NM 16b hunters - Future and Former - How does the Johnson Fire Change the Unit?

So, I have been following the fire. I have hunted 16 deer and know its steep in 16b. I have an archery tag for this year. I'm treating it as a OIL tag. I'm fascinated with this hunt and current conditions. It's going to be a real challenge DIY.

The fire is covering a fairly large chunk of the unit now - approx 16-20%.
Just curious if you think this concentrates elk, hunters, and outfitters?
Why does no one talk about 22? I never had the time to even go in 22, and don't know a whole lot about it.
is every tank projected to be dry unless this monsoon season materializes and holds?
Looks like they took cutties out of the headwaters of the Gila forks to preserve them at the fish hatchery. Looking like some flooding or enough turbidity to destroy oxygen levels.

just looking for general info. I live in SW Co and am happy to share terrain info locally. Pm if your a private person.

Thanks, JW

ZDR

WKR
I have a tag as well for the 1st archery hunt in 16B/22 and am not sure what to make of it yet. Have been planning on going scouting soon but am now re-thinking what and where we will go. Unit 22 is steep but has a good elk population. This is going to be interesting.
BTW, the incident commander report states a 70% chance of rain this week. Its been raining all day here at my house in central NM so hoping the rain will move down there:)

George Hamrick

Lil-Rokslider
Been keeping an eye on it as well. Seems like it has had quite a bit of rain over the past few days. Sounds like fire crews are letting the rain handle it, and they’re more worried about flash floods than anything at the moment.

BBob

WKR
It's been a really long time since I've been in there but likely no one talks much about 22 (north end) because it's steep and not easy to access to hunt. Plenty of trail access but not vehicle. If you're a fit back-country hunter or horse packer it can be worthy. Lots of glassing potential in the big canyons. A guy like you might find something there. Glenwood on the west side fuel and supplies. Alma fuel. The burn doesn't sound like it's burning anything heavy and if so and the rains come the elk will be right back in the burn when it greens up. May not be easy to archery hunt if the cover has been burned but if you can find them moving back and forth from cover to burn you'd be good.

OP
BrokenArrow
It's been a really long time since I've been in there but likely no one talks much about 22 (north end) because it's steep and not easy to access to hunt. Plenty of trail access but not vehicle. If you're a fit back-country hunter or horse packer it can be worthy. Lots of glassing potential in the big canyons. A guy like you might find something there. Glenwood on the west side fuel and supplies. Alma fuel. The burn doesn't sound like it's burning anything heavy and if so and the rains come the elk will be right back in the burn when it greens up. May not be easy to archery hunt if the cover has been burned but if you can find them moving back and forth from cover to burn you'd be good.
Youre reading my mind. I saw the 416 fire up here green in a matter of a 2 weeks in some spots.

What I’m afraid of in the gila boundaries is the potential for slides of any sort closing down the trails to packing in/out of any sort. Kind of like the whitewater baldy complex and after.
Looks Like all the northern canyons have been spared. Probably the easiest logistics. Hmm, I wonder where everyone will go…

Plenty of area to hunt. If you are afoot, which 90 - 95% of you will be, nothing changes for you. You are gonna have to hike your ass off and cover some ground just like you would if there weren't a fire. The Gila is legendary. Work hard and don't squander the opportunity. No matter how tired and worn down you get. Opportunity of a lifetime here.

OP
BrokenArrow
The fire seems to be winding down quite a bit. They’re pulling crews and giving local authorities control.
bring on the rain!

Gila

WKR
Natural fires burn in the Gila wilderness every year. That is the way it has been and that is the way it will always be.....as it should be.

So, I have been following the fire. I have hunted 16 deer and know its steep in 16b. I have an archery tag for this year. I'm treating it as a OIL tag. I'm fascinated with this hunt and current conditions. It's going to be a real challenge DIY.

The fire is covering a fairly large chunk of the unit now - approx 16-20%.
Just curious if you think this concentrates elk, hunters, and outfitters?
Why does no one talk about 22? I never had the time to even go in 22, and don't know a whole lot about it.
is every tank projected to be dry unless this monsoon season materializes and holds?
Looks like they took cutties out of the headwaters of the Gila forks to preserve them at the fish hatchery. Looking like some flooding or enough turbidity to destroy oxygen levels.

just looking for general info. I live in SW Co and am happy to share terrain info locally. Pm if your a private person.

Thanks, JW
Hi Jw ,
Do you have first or second hunt? I have 2nd and have horses. Three years previous experience DIY ,took bulls on each hunt. I would consider a hunting buddy as it can be tough going in wilderness with horses solo

OP
BrokenArrow
Dang, thats a killer proposition. Unfortunaley 'm Scounting from the 27th and hunting til the 11th. So lucky to get that much time off. But, I will Pm ya and pass along all i can.
Maybe we can chat beforehand also.
Thanks for inviting me to hunt with ya. I bet we'd kick some ass! Until the elk kicked our ass. lol
Hi Jw ,
Do you have first or second hunt? I have 2nd and have horses. Three years previous experience DIY ,took bulls on each hunt. I would consider a hunting buddy as it can be tough going in wilderness with horses solo