All of November off, what would you do?

RB1

Lil-Rokslider
Hey everyone, I had a few questions that I was hoping someone would give me their personal opinion on. Due to my school schedule, I am going to have all of November off. With that being said, I was planning on doing a public land (rifle) mule deer hunt. Unfortunately, I did not find out I was going to be able to have all of November off until recently. I did some thorough research and felt my best chances of seeing deer and possibly shooting a nice deer were the highest in SE Montana. With that being said, I was not able to do the first draw and am now on the alternate list.

My question is, would you hold on to the hope of having a chance to buy a tag in Montana or should I try to buy a leftover tag in a different state like CO? I missed the second draw for CO too, due to my misinterpreting the dialogue on how Montana's alternate list system was going to work. I am open to any state, I was just using CO as an example. As I said, I have the entire month of November off so time and travel are not really an issue for me.

If you were in the same position, what do you think you would do?

Thanks, everyone!

street

WKR
Unfortunate you missed WY. They have some long general November deer seasons. CO youre either looking at 7 day 3rd season or a 5 day 4th. Can you pick up a general UT still?

Reactions: RB1
I’d say your odds of getting a general deer only tag are pretty good off the alternate list. It’s a crazy year though, so who knows. I’d wait a while and see how it shakes out, if your number doesn’t get picked, spend all Nov hunting rutting whitetails through the Midwest and South.

OP
RB1

RB1

Lil-Rokslider
Unfortunate you missed WY. They have some long general November deer seasons. CO youre either looking at 7 day 3rd season or a 5 day 4th. Can you pick up a general UT still?
The best I interpreted it, Utah's general season falls in October which wouldn't work for my schedule, unfortunately. I found a handful of units in CO that still had tags before the 2nd draw but honestly have not had much time to do much research to see if it would even be worth the drive from Illinois to hunt in any of those areas. It may sound silly, but it is extremely overwhelming to try and interpret all of the info that is released. Like I said, I was set on SE Montana, but misinterpreted how the alternate list worked.

OP
RB1

RB1

Lil-Rokslider
I’d say your odds of getting a general deer only tag are pretty good off the alternate list. It’s a crazy year though, so who knows. I’d wait a while and see how it shakes out, if your number doesn’t get picked, spend all Nov hunting rutting whitetails through the Midwest and South.
Oh yeah, I will still hunt hard in my home state. Just wanted to take advantage of the situation since I will never have this kind of off time again, let alone in November.

OP
RB1

RB1

Lil-Rokslider
Check out some fishing if you miss the hunts. The bite is on coast to coast during the harvest!
That sounds fantastic, and I hate to say this, but fishing just doesn't do it for me like hunting does. Who knows, maybe I am just doing the wrong kind of fishing. Haha

I am also planning on having all of November off, so I’ll do a mule deer hunt in Colorado and whitetail hunt in Kentucky. Then come back and hunt mountain lions and have thanksgiving.

Reactions: RB1
OP
RB1

RB1

Lil-Rokslider
I am also planning on having all of November off, so I’ll do a mule deer hunt in Colorado and whitetail hunt in Kentucky. Then come back and hunt mountain lions and have thanksgiving.
That sounds awesome! I have all of September off as well, so a buddy and myself are in the midst of planning our first elk hunt as well. Currently trying to narrow down some units!

OP
RB1

RB1

Lil-Rokslider
I guess the real question is, are you single?
No, but not married, and no kids. Currently (emphasis on currently), there aren’t any issues with me doing a 1-2 week hunt in November. She works a crazy nursing schedule so it’s not really an issue.

FLAK

WKR
I've got 5+ weeks I need to take before the end of the year.
Trying to come up with some hunts myself, as I blanked on the draws. Only a few real long shots pending.
Dont know if I want to do a few week> long out of state hunts or just hunt my a## off here locally.
I feel your pain.

OP
RB1

RB1

Lil-Rokslider
I've got 5+ weeks I need to take before the end of the year.
Trying to come up with some hunts myself, as I blanked on the draws. Only a few real long shots pending.
Dont know if I want to do a few week> long out of state hunts or just hunt my a## off here locally.
I feel your pain.
If worse comes to worse I’m going to do the same. Take advantage of all that time on my family’s farm, but still wanna take advantage of the temporary freedom I’ll have.

Laramie

WKR
Nebraska has over the counter tags. A guy can pursue mule deer with a bow until the 14th when rifle season starts. You could then rifle hunt (mule deer North of I-80 only) the 14th-22nd and then bow season starts again through the end of the year. It's not an easy hunt on public but some guys kill good deer every year. Expect plenty of competition on public if you go that route.

The entire month of November off work sounds like a dream to me. I would spend it in a few different trees in SE Kansas.

If you can get a KS tag (can you? no idea now NR tags work) western Kansas would be fun assuming you can get a more western tag.

Ha. I was just answering the thread title for myself.
NR draw is in April and I don't think landowner tags are transferable.