All of November off, what would you do?

OP
RB1

RB1

Lil-Rokslider
Nebraska has over the counter tags. A guy can pursue mule deer with a bow until the 14th when rifle season starts. You could then rifle hunt (mule deer North of I-80 only) the 14th-22nd and then bow season starts again through the end of the year. It's not an easy hunt on public but some guys kill good deer every year. Expect plenty of competition on public if you go that route.
I considered that as well. I know you can’t believe everything you read on the internet, but I felt like all I could find were horror stories of how bad it gets during rifle season.

Hogyotedeer

Banned
I've always wanted to hunt in Canada or somewhere really historic like south africa as a few of my friends have told me stories that made me eager.

Reactions: RB1
I considered that as well. I know you can’t believe everything you read on the internet, but I felt like all I could find were horror stories of how bad it gets during rifle season.

I think that's a good option, much better than staying home.

OP
RB1

RB1

Lil-Rokslider
I think that's a good option, much better than staying home.
I agree completely. Won’t know unless I try. In the mean time I’m going to try my best to research some areas and see what they have to offer. I have no issue shooting a nice whitetail, but hoping to narrow down an area where a mule deer is a likely possibility as well.

November is for DEER! Whitetail rut is a lot of fun the first of the month, or all month if you follow it north to south and hunt various states!. Very easy to get a tag. Mule deer in the middle would be fun if you can get a tag. Look at Land owner options if you have the $. Kodiak Blacktail would be best in a Boat that time of year!

I’ll second kodiak blacktail

get an Alaskan airlines card and your flight should be free.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved

So all you want is an OTC tag with a limited entry qualities?

Your best bet is going to be buying a landowner tag or hoping you get a call on a turn back tag. I’ve been on those lists for 25 years in every state out west that offers it and I’ve been called ONCE...Nebraska sounds like the least expensive sure thing. You obviously are young enough to put some (probably most) of the “crowd” behind you if you find the right place.

OP
RB1

RB1

Lil-Rokslider
So all you want is an OTC tag with a limited entry qualities?

Your best bet is going to be buying a landowner tag or hoping you get a call on a turn back tag. I’ve been on those lists for 25 years in every state out west that offers it and I’ve been called ONCE...Nebraska sounds like the least expensive sure thing. You obviously are young enough to put some (probably most) of the “crowd” behind you if you find the right place.
Not necessarily. I’m just saying comparatively speaking I’ve heard Nebraska is particularly bad. Grant it, I only looked into a few areas because I was kind of set on Montana. I know anywhere public there is going to be plenty of company. 90% of my hunting is on national forest ground in Illinois where OTC tags are available, so I’m somewhat used to it, but I just haven’t experienced how crowded things are in Western states.

OP
RB1

RB1

Lil-Rokslider
I appreciate all of the replies I got on here. I doubt I will be able to any time soon, but all of the discussions about Kodiak blacktails really sparked my interest. I had never given it much consideration but it seems like a dream hunt.

Luckily, I have all of September off as well and will be trying my luck with OTC elk in Colorado. My buddy and I have it narrowed down to a few units and have pretty much decided to flip a coin at this point. Anyways, I could not be more excited to be challenged by some of these new species the diverse terrain that I have never been exposed to (other than a couple of brief non-hunting trips). I will do my best to update everyone on my struggles (haha) if interested. Thanks again for all the input and I wish the best of luck to all of you this season!

Oh easy. Colrado 3rd season deer and Wisconsin deer and grouse. Maybe get lucky and have tip ups set for walleye later in the month... Wont be shopping for meat much in December

OP
RB1

RB1

Lil-Rokslider
Oh easy. Colrado 3rd season deer and Wisconsin deer and grouse. Maybe get lucky and have tip ups set for walleye later in the month... Wont be shopping for meat much in December
That sounds like a dream. Colorado 3rd season is something I’ve always wanted to do. I’ve heard you can’t beat it in the right areas!

That sounds like a dream. Colorado 3rd season is something I’ve always wanted to do. I’ve heard you can’t beat it in the right areas!
Should be a good hunt I burned 2 points to get the tag. Hoping for some weather I've seen several boomers in the area during 2nd

rzpalm

FNG
I live in Illinois, so that’s the plan. Hunt my home ground and hopefully tag out in October and then chase mule deer in November.

What part of the state? I hunt southern Illinois a couple times a year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk