all purpose tarp

Fish_monger

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for a tarp to add to my kit. ideally I’d like to find something that will act as a hammock tarp, glassing/wind cover, emergency shelter, ground cloth, etc. durable first, lightweight second.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of the different shapes, sizes, and features?

I've been using a light weight (thinner than usual) blue poly tarp, 6x8. It has worked well for a ground cloth and a lean-to tarp for me. If I knew it was going to be pouring down rain, I would use something a bit more substantial. A piece of Tyvek would work as well. Both are inexpensive and easily replaceable. no crying if something happens to it.

Plenty of silnylon options that will fit that bill for the most part. Ground cloth will tear them up fast if you use them like that often. @Hackleback is on to something with tyvek. It is cheap but a decent section will weigh a pound or more And you have to improvise tie downs. Dyneema is half the weight and 3x the price. Shape depends on use. Shaped tarps are better for weather protection but they limit versatility.

I have several options. The ones I use most are:

- 8x10 dyneema .63 oz for glassing and emergency shelter. Great for solo trips
- dst tarp from seekoutside. great general purpose tarp from a multi person sunshade to a decent shelter option For one with lots of gear or two decent sized people
- 4x8 dyneema ground cloth. Made o 1.0 dyneema. Was stupid expensive but goes as a ground cloth / emergency shelter with cords and stakes for 5-6oz.

magtech

Lil-Rokslider
Made a 10x12 tarp out of sil poly. Currently has served as a tarp tent, and using it as a hammock tarp right now. It hasn't seen any real weather, unfortunately. This length and width covers a hammock well and keep it dry. An 8' maybe a little short depending on your hammock size. I think mine weighs around a pound with sack and tieouts.

Drenalin

WKR
Seek Outside DST, but not for a ground tarp. The DST is 10'x10' and has loops at each corner plus three more down each edge. Also has a reinforced area in the center of the tarp for a trekking pole or other support. It's a very good sized and versatile tarp, at least for me. But if I were going to use it as a ground tarp, I'd probably get the cheapest thing I could find knowing that I would destroy it.

mcseal2

WKR
For a ground sheet a military poncho works well, and can also be a wind break for glassing. A silnylon tarp is better for everything but a ground cloth in my opinion. I use 5 sections of a thermarest z pad for a sitting pad glassing and it is enough if I need to lay on it.