All species - point strategy

UtahJimmy

WKR
A few months ago, Randy put together an awesome video detailing his strategy for hunting elk each year. He took a very doable budget of $1k and laid out the plans to chase the Wapiti. THANK YOU FOR THAT!

Let's loosely discuss how each of us approach multiple species each year and your long term plans.

ELK: As a UT resident, I'm blessed with the ability to hunt OTC archery elk each year. Sure, our quality and quantity on these OTC do not rival that of ID or CO but for $50 it's an easy choice to stay local. We also have ample opportunities for cow elk to help stock up on delicious meat!

I've been hunting MT the last 2 years with general tags.

I'm buying points in CO & WY with a hunting partner and my wife, respectively. I think we'll cash in those CO points in 4-7 years, and probably about the same for WY. I've stayed away from AZ so far because of the non-refundable license fee and the long wait time (similar to UT for NR). I may start trying the lotto in NM next year but we'll see about that.

For UT I'm holding out for a middle to upper tier LE archery hunt so I hope to get drawn in the next 5-8 years.

DEER: Every year general season UT archery tag. More obsessed with elk but I like the long season and having the ability to hunt the extended range during the rut.

Once I get drawn in LE elk here in UT I'll switch over to LE deer and try to draw a 6 pt tag so I can switch back to elk once my wait is over.

Points in CO & WY, going to cash in my CO points next year. WY in the next 5.

For WT, I've toyed with the idea of getting a few tags in MD (where my parents live) but the timing just hasn't worked out. My Dad is not a hunter, but he loves the meat. We have resident deer and I'd love the opportunity to harvest a few for him to enjoy considering they help themselves to his garden every year! I've also thought about putting my MT deer tag on a WT but mulies are just more fun to hunt to me.

LOPES: WY!! Every 3rd year draw a tag. Hunt antlerless in the mean time because I love the meat. Maybe draw an antlerless UT tag at some point but lopes in UT are just hard for me to wrap my head around being that I would have to give up a few years of either elk or deer to draw a buck tag.

MOOSE: Pray one day I'll draw one here in UT. 15 year plan. Bucket list to go kill a Yukon moose. 30 year plan.

BISON: Once I hit the lottery and draw my moose, I'll start applying for Bison here in UT. This is my 40 year plan.

SHEEP & MTN GOATS: No strategy for me. Figure when I have the time and money, I'll just buy a tag. Too far behind (and not lucky enough) to try to draw one.

CARIBOU: Father in law and I are planning on doing an archery trip up north in the next 3 years. May couple this with one of the other species while we're there but for now its caribou and fishing.

BEAR: Points for now in UT, eventually some north of the border but not really on my radar yet.

Sorry for the long winded opening, but figured I'd go first!

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Holy smoly, that's a book full.

For me just hunting deer, I accumulate points in Co. Wy. NV. Ut. AZ. every year and usually try to draw one of them. Always Idaho apply in draw then OTC if no draw or buy nonresident leftover tag if did draw using it to hunt archery. Always watching for affordable Landowner ops in Idaho and Colorado. Usually only want 1-2 states per year. Pulling off three is tough. Can turn back tags in AZ. Ut. Co. and NV. and have in last three states on different occasions if no buck scouted, overlapping hunts or just can't do the tag justice or weather dependent hunt and no weather. I have points in Or. and Mt. but no plans to apply or accumulate more unless something changes. Once every few years I'll apply for NM. And every once in a while apply for gov/style tag raffles like I'd. AZ, NV or Co.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

muddydogs

WKR
I'm also a resident of Utah, I hunt rifle or muzzy OTC elk and keep putting in for LE elk tags. With the point system and point creep being at about 21 points for a good tag I just hope I'll be walking by the time I get drawn. Same problems with moose but I keep putting in. Really kick myself for the 10 or so years I chased waterfowl and didn't buy points, if I would have I would be right up there with the other big boys having my pick of LE units. I always put in for a muzzy deer tag in hopes of drawing a cow tag in the same unit so I can extend my cow season, so far I drew a cow tag 3 out of 5 seasons.

Hoping to get drawn for WY antelope this fall, should with the points I have, then looking at a 3 year antelope hunting cycle. I have enough points for Utah doe antelope but I'll wait until next year to draw since I should get WY this year.

I also by points for everything I can in Utah. I have no desire to hunt bear right now but when I'm old and crippled I just might want to go set over a bait pile so I'm buying points. Buying doe deer points as well and might cash them in in the next couple years. Might get luck with cow moose in the next 15 years.

The last couple years I hunted Javelina in AZ so I also purchased an elk point, next year I will have 3 so I will probably apply for a late season rifle or muzzy hunt which can usually be drawn with 2 or 3 points. Going to start picking up Wy elk points this year as it seems that a guy can draw a general nothing special tag about every 2 or 3 years.

Takem

WKR
Hey Robby. Have you had any trouble turning back tags in Utah or Nevada.? My brother and I drew a tag in both states and will be turning one of them back. Curious how it's worked out for you.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Robby. Have you had any trouble turning back tags in Utah or Nevada.? My brother and I drew a tag in both states and will be turning one of them back. Curious how it's worked out for you.

No problem in either. Just start early for your protection and the fact that someone else can get the tag you turn in. I also keep the name of the person who helped me and find out exactly when my points will be updated then make a note to check them. All the details are in the regulations.

Tag_Soup

WKR
Well, it was a lot easier when I was an Idaho resident, but now that I've set up shop in the great northwet of western Washington, my strategy is a little more expensive and limited.

Buy my western archery deer and elk tags in WA and put in for points. Hoping to connect with a stud blacktail out my back door and tag a cow or rag horn for meat. Roll the dice for bighorn. If I move, I will likely let my Washington points die unless money isn't a big issue, in which case I would stay in the game for an eastern WA elk tag and a bighorn.

Roll the dice on elk and deer lottery tags in Idaho. If I don't draw, OTC deer gives a lot of opportunity over the early archery, rifle, and late archery. May or may not buy an elk tag and go on a family backcountry hunt depending on my luck in other states. I know the state well and my heart is still there. Hoping one day to transition back once my career allows. Once that happens (lord willing) I will probably start rolling the dice on moose or sheep and hunt quality bucks in OTC units where I used to put in a lot of sweat equity.

Buy points in Utah for deer, elk, le deer & bighorn. Put in for Nevada deer, pronghorn, sheep and elk in premium units. Goal here is to start hunting one out of state hunt in either Utah or Nevada each year. If I play my cards right I should be able to start drawing tags next year for deer and in three for elk.

This pretty much breaks my budget for now. Next year I may start including Arizona for deer and elk points...mostly so that I can hunt otc archery deer in January!

Takem

WKR
Thank you. Do you know if the points are returned to the pre-draw number in Utah or do you get the point for this year as well?

Takem

WKR
We put in for AZ, CO, NM (most years), NV, WY every year for deer, elk and antelope. So far we draw our second season Colorado deer tag every other year and fill in around that. Looks like we will be hunting deer in Nevada this and will be putting in for a Wyoming antelope tag and possibly an over the counter elk hunt somewhere.