All you Dads, what's your favorite kid carrier backpack

Mk7mmSTW

WKR
I have a osprey poco kid pack for the oldest and it worked great last season doing cameras and hiking. I'll needing a second for the little one and was wondering which one you guys liked? Also, if you have one for sale, I'm in the market!

Felix40

WKR
I agree that its the best. None of them are great. They outgrow them pretty fast though. Im using an older kelty now strapped to my kifaru because it has more room for the kid.

WoodBow

WKR
Old kelty strapped to a frame here too.

Last edited:

ChrisC

Lil-Rokslider
I have one by a company i never heard of before called 'Phil and Ted', I think it's called the escape. I have no complaints, has a build-in removable day pack, plenty of pockets/storage, comfortable, rain/sun cover for the kid.

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
I've used a tough traveler, kid comfort by deuter and a osprey poco. I like the Poco the best, the comfort and ride are the best for me. An added bonus is the sun shade. After seeing people attach carriers to their frames I've wanted to do that with the kid comfort.

Gorp2007

WKR
OP, you said you need a second for the "little one," how little are we talking? Do you want a chest carrier for an infant, or another backpack type carrier for a toddler? For the infants, I used an Ergo carrier which was fine, but if I had to do it over again I'd get the Ergo 360 so that the kid can look forward and see more than just my sweaty chest. Now that's older I use the Kelty kid carrier like most others.

For everyone else using the Kelty, the only thing I don't like about it is the storage. What solutions do you use to improve the storage?

OP
Mk7mmSTW

Mk7mmSTW

WKR
OP, you said you need a second for the "little one," how little are we talking? Do you want a chest carrier for an infant, or another backpack type carrier for a toddler? For the infants, I used an Ergo carrier which was fine, but if I had to do it over again I'd get the Ergo 360 so that the kid can look forward and see more than just my sweaty chest. Now that's older I use the Kelty kid carrier like most others.

For everyone else using the Kelty, the only thing I don't like about it is the storage. What solutions do you use to improve the storage?

I have a chest carrier, I'm looking to get a pack carrier that I can cut up to put on one of my real frames (mr or Kifaru) for a 3 yr old.

Last edited:

dotman

WKR

Cut the harness and belt off, attach to Kifaru frame with grabit and 2 lash straps, add two med or large pockets to Kifaru belt and use space between grabit and kelty for jackets etc. My kelty also has a back pocket for storage.

I have the Deuter Kid Comfort 2 and it works pretty well. I have often thought about doing what Dotman did by hacking it apart and lashing it to a Kifaru frame, but I still want to be able to sell it on craigslist when the kids outgrow it so I keep wimping out.

Gorp2007

WKR
Cut the harness and belt off, attach to Kifaru frame with grabit and 2 lash straps, add two med or large pockets to Kifaru belt and use space between grabit and kelty for jackets etc. My kelty also has a back pocket for storage.
Thanks, I've been looking for a good reason to get a better backpack, now I can blame the kid!

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

OP
Mk7mmSTW

Mk7mmSTW

WKR
Access Denied

I'm thinking this older one looks the best for removing the harness set up and attaching to a duplex frame. Looks like it would be easy to remove straps/belt and still have good attachment points.

It says "access denied" but you can still click on it and it will take you to eBay.

OP
Mk7mmSTW

Mk7mmSTW

WKR
Imagine if kifaru or MR stepped up and made a kid carrier backpack. No better way to show you care about next generations being outdoors.

I have a kelty backcountry its an older one blue with red trim. Got it from ebay used a few years back for about $50 and it had the rain/sunshade and was in like new condition. Quality is great and holds up well. Works great until they outgrow it. I believe its rated for a 45 pound load.

Jaysop

Lil-Rokslider
I use the POCO AT. I had the older one and it killed my lower back. The new suspension is much better as my youngest is getting heavier.

Savage99

WKR
I have the Deuter Kid Comfort 2 and it works pretty well. I have often thought about doing what Dotman did by hacking it apart and lashing it to a Kifaru frame, but I still want to be able to sell it on craigslist when the kids outgrow it so I keep wimping out.

I have this as well. Adjustable torso is nice and both my kids would fall asleep in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ColoradoHunterHiker

Lil-Rokslider
I used this kelty one for quite a while with both my kids - soon to be 3. It's not the best suspension, and they grow out of them. However, the coolest part of this is the fact that it has a separate backpack that the kids can carry and when they are done or don't want to carry it anymore, it zips to the kid carrier. Pretty slick. It carries a good amount of stuf

Pathfinder 3.0 Child Carrier Backpack | Kelty

Before you know it, they'll be walking on their own, and carrying their own weight.

Enjoy!