Alliant powders

Huntin wv

Lil-Rokslider
I have always liked Alliant powders for reloading. Have always used RL10X, RL15, RL22 some, and really like RL25. I haven’t looked at or bought any powders in a good while as I was pretty well stocked up. Now I see powders like RL16, RL23, and RL26. What are the benefits of these? Best I can tell is a de-coppering additive and better temperature stability. Is this correct? And how does anyone who has used them like them compared to the older versions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tumbleweed

Lil-Rokslider
I have used RL26 in a few .30 Cal magnums. It produces great speed, typically 75-100 fps faster than H1000 loaded to the same pressures. It is high on the heat index chart and will burn your throat out quicker, no free lunch. Barrel gets hot much quicker than other powders.
I found inconsistencies with it holding zero from day to day as well. POI would shift .5 moa or more easily. The extra speed was not worth it to me.
Jesse

TomM

FNG
RL26 has been very good to me in my 270. Very good speed and accuracy. I bought an 8lb jug pretty quickly after discovering.

Axlrod

WKR
R26 works well in a lot of applications. Just go to any gun store and look for the empty spot where R26 goes and you will see that people like it!

mtmuley

WKR
I have used RL26 in a few .30 Cal magnums. It produces great speed, typically 75-100 fps faster than H1000 loaded to the same pressures. It is high on the heat index chart and will burn your throat out quicker, no free lunch. Barrel gets hot much quicker than other powders.
I found inconsistencies with it holding zero from day to day as well. POI would shift .5 moa or more easily. The extra speed was not worth it to me.
Jesse

How did you realize that RL-26 burns throats "quicker" than other powders? It's a pretty new powder. I'm curious. mtmuley

Tumbleweed

Lil-Rokslider
I changed a barrel out after 500 rounds of using RL26. The throat showed significant erosion even though I had not abused it or let it get excessively hot. Shortly after, quick load published the heat index for it and it all made sense.

These extreme performance powders are awesome but they pretty much all come with the high heat index. I went back to H1000 and gave up some speed to get barrel life back.

Axlrod

WKR
I changed a barrel out after 500 rounds of using RL26. The throat showed significant erosion even though I had not abused it or let it get excessively hot. Shortly after, quick load published the heat index for it and it all made sense.

These extreme performance powders are awesome but they pretty much all come with the high heat index. I went back to H1000 and gave up some speed to get barrel life back.

I shoot R26 in one of my 28 Noslers & have 1400+ rounds through it. I havent looked at the throat but the targets tell me it still a shooter.

mtmuley

WKR
I'd take my chances with RL-26. Close to RL-25 in "heat index". I have a RUM from 2000 that still shoots sub MOA all the while burning 1.5 grains over max with a 200 grain Accubond almost it's whole life. Round count close to 1500 I bet. mtmuley

I think case design and neck length have something to do with fast throat erosion as well ?
I would bet Nosler took these things into consideration when engineering the NOSLER case

excaliber

WKR
I had a really hard time deciding between 74 gr of RL26 and 79Gr of H1000 for my 300 Win Mag hand loads with the 200 gr ELDX. Both loads were in the 2970 fps range. The speed of RL-26 is impressive without a doubt but it's harder on barrels.

Out of my gun 79 Gr of H1000 was more consistent with better accuracy. I'm getting the same speed with 5 more grains of powder with H1000 but it shoots lights out with my gun.

It's funny that they both impacted very close to the same spot on steel out to 575 yards. I had tighter groups with the H1000 so I went with it.

HiMtnHntr

WKR
I use RL 17 in 300 wsm, 7mm-08 and 30-06. All three have combos using 17 that produce good accuracy and impressive speed. I've heard talk about temp sensitivity but I have used these in a wide variety of conditions and haven't noticed any cause for concern.

You bet! I ended up higher than both of those but as also with any load info look at other sources for info too. Just work up till ya find pressure and back off in a nice velocity flat spot in your ladder and rock on!!
been there, done that, well practiced in the process - thank you again Luke !