Alliant powders

Yote Klr

FNG
"And how does anyone who has used them like them compared to the older versions"

I test powders A LOT. They're not a direct replacement. IMPORTANT, RL23 is faster burning than RL22, and RL26 is faster burning than RL25 in my experience in a few different cartridges.

Rl23 seems to be effective in mitigating copper buildup but have not seen much improvement in RL26.

DDRH65PRC

FNG
H1000 is back in stock at Brownells.

I was able to pickup some RL26. It's faster than RL23, but less consistent in velocity. however this is from limited testing. RL26 seems to group better, except i keep getting 1 flyer on the 5ht shot. Not so with RL23.

RL23 seems to be very temp stable like RL16. I may switch to H1000. I've got a lot of RL26, will try it on my 300PRC when it's done.

Been using both RL23 and RL26 on my Seekins Havak Bravo in 6.5 PRC. 53gr RL23 is really consistent but only getting avg 2866fps. Also, both powders are showing slight pressure signs even under recommended load. Possibly from the ADG brass i'm using.

Dualsight

FNG
I put in different search variations looking for reloading powder burning "temperatures" index charts, but only came up with burning rate charts (do not believe this is the same thing). Anyone have a link other than Quick Load as stated above?

Tohopko

Lil-Rokslider
RL23 has worked well for me in the 25-06 and 270Win. It is bulky, so be prepared slight compression near the top loads. Also--data is limited, with wide variations in book max between what scarce data there is (for example, 140gr bullets in the 270). That said, very consistent and decent speed.

data IS limited for many cartridges and for "some" nonexistent - I called their tech line to possibly find load data for my 338/06, they said "that's not a SAAMI cartridge, no data will be posted" (and with the clear attitude that THEY are the last word in powder technology) I have established data for RL 15 and RL 22 that I will continue to use, otherwise I have no use for ALLIANT as a company, JMO but I load ALOT

Chevynbow

FNG
I replaced my 6x47L H4350 load with RL16 this season, it runs a little dirtier but it’s more temp stable and takes less powder.

Last edited:

Yote Klr

FNG
I replaced my 6x47L H4350 load with RL16 this season, it runs a little dirtier but is not temp stable and takes less powder.
I've learned that if you have over 96% case fill it really burns cleaner and is more consistent in velocity consistency (standard deviation) and better behaved in temperature swings, even with powders that aren't well known for temperature stability like double bases powders.

Chevynbow

FNG
I've learned that if you have over 96% case fill it really burns cleaner and is more consistent in velocity consistency (standard deviation) and better behaved in temperature swings, even with powders that aren't well known for temperature stability like double bases powders.

...I’ve heard people say this very thing, “the firing chain/sequence is more consistent” as it lays in the chamber. I couldn’t tell you if I’ve ever noticed a difference.

SDs and ESs are pretty consistent between H4350 and RL16 out of my 47 barrels, capacity has been notional.

I run my Dasher’s at or over that 96% fill...I couldn’t tell you if it would be any less consistent, SD/ES or accuracy wise, with more or less powder, barrels just shoot where they decide to.

Last edited:

choovhntr

WKR
Any more testing done with rl 23 and rl 26 with adg brass in the 6.5 PRC? These are the two powders I'm looking at when my rifle get finished, but was surprised to see such a low velocity with that combo.

tdhanses

WKR
I shoot R26 in one of my 28 Noslers & have 1400+ rounds through it. I havent looked at the throat but the targets tell me it still a shooter.

I have well over 600rds in my 270 WSM and it’s still a tack driver but yup I haven’t looked at the throat either.

DDRH65PRC

FNG
Any more testing done with rl 23 and rl 26 with adg brass in the 6.5 PRC? These are the two powders I'm looking at when my rifle get finished, but was surprised to see such a low velocity with that combo.

I worked up a load using RL23 and Barnes 127LRX with ADG brass and BR2 primers. <1/2" @ 100yds 5-shot group. roughly 3150fps out of 22" bbl.

hope that helps

choovhntr

WKR
I worked up a load using RL23 and Barnes 127LRX with ADG brass and BR2 primers. 2" @ 100yds 5-shot group. roughly 3150fps out of 22" bbl.

hope that helps

Thank you, it does. Just seems like a large velocity decline for 30 gr. of bullet weight. I was hoping to get 3000ish with a 24” barrel in the 156’s, but maybe not?

DDRH65PRC

FNG
Thank you, it does. Just seems like a large velocity decline for 30 gr. of bullet weight. I was hoping to get 3000ish with a 24” barrel in the 156’s, but maybe not?

It would more than likely be over-pressure @ 3000fps in a 24" bbl with 156gr bullet (i'm guessing here). Might be possible with a 28-30" bbl.

OXN939

WKR
Reviving this guy to see if anyone has seen any RL23 anywhere or knows what's up with the supply backlog. Had an eye out for a month or so and nada thus far

OXN939

WKR
Just saw an 8lber locally, they won’t ship. It’s out there

Check. I know it's imported from Sweden, so didn't know if any had made it across the pond recently. Worst time I probably could have picked to hop into the PRC game but what can ya do

snuzzo29

Lil-Rokslider
It seems to pop up online every few months but it sells out fast. Alliant powders are pretty scarce.

data IS limited for many cartridges and for "some" nonexistent - I called their tech line to possibly find load data for my 338/06, they said "that's not a SAAMI cartridge, no data will be posted" (and with the clear attitude that THEY are the last word in powder technology) I have established data for RL 15 and RL 22 that I will continue to use, otherwise I have no use for ALLIANT as a company, JMO but I load ALOT

If you load and shoot a lot, especially with non SAAMI calibers you are missing out of you don’t have Quickload and depending on how odd your calibers are it’s companion software Quickdesign.

I’m having 264WM built with a 40° improved case and was able to design it in QD, have a reamer made and come up with load data by importing into QL from QD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro