Allowing your son/daughter to punch your tag? Thoughts...

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigharge

WKR
Was having this discussion with a friend and thought I’d post it on here.

Let’s say your son or daughter enjoys hunting, has harvested animals, is a proficient shot, has their hunter safety course completed and is a legally licensed hunter in the state. Now by luck you were fortunate to draw a fairly unique tag that isn’t a guarantee for anyone even if they applied for a lifetime. Your kid is very excited and will definitely be tagging along to be a part of the hunt.

Now let’s say you decide that you would like your kid to be the one that pulls the trigger. They would be hunting with you the entire time, you would carry the rifle and have all legal paperwork with you but when the time came to shoot you wanted them to have that opportunity that might not come around again.

Any strong opinions on this situation. I know it’s fairly hypothetical but would be interested to hear some other hunters perspectives on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3forks

WKR
I think it’s wrong.

I can see how some would say the tag and animal are accounted for, so it doesn’t matter who pulls the trigger, but ultimately rules are rules.

Mostly, I just wouldn’t want a kid to have to lie to a warden if they were checked at camp or at checkpoint on the road. That’s got to be a lot of pressure on a kid, and would be situation a decent parent wouldn’t want to put their kid in.

Ask yourself local wildlife trooper. Letter of law vs intent of the law.

if it’s legal to allow degrees of kin to hunt with you, this hypothetical question could be moot.

OP
B

bigharge

WKR
I think it’s wrong.

I can see how some would say the tag and animal are accounted for, so it doesn’t matter who pulls the trigger, but ultimately rules are rules.

Mostly, I just wouldn’t want a kid to have to lie to a warden if they were checked at camp or at checkpoint on the road. That’s got to be a lot of pressure on a kid, and would be situation a decent parent wouldn’t want to put their kid in.

This was my main argument, I really wouldn’t have a problem with it ethically but if I was approached I would never encourage or even allow my kid to lie about it. Any act of deception is setting a bad example. If I would be ok allowing it, I would have to be ok being upfront about it if the question ever came up

Reactions: lif

kopecsean

FNG
You're gonna get a lot of responses condemning that thought.

I have no problem with it - your kid, your tag - do what makes you happiest.

Ultimately, some things are better left unsaid. This was one of them.
I agree with Rich that it should not have been said I say no unless it is legal in your state

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

150plusB&C

Lil-Rokslider
This is interesting. Not the question so much but the answers. I think we’ve all let our kids do things they probably shouldn’t but that’s part of being a parent. We are learning the same as they are but from us. Setting a good example is critical. If it’s legal is the most important. If it’s legal and you don’t have to lie then it’s totally your decision. If not legal, then obviously no. Teaching our children the right things especially in today’s world is only second to the good Lord. Just think how much you kid will appreciate that tag if he drew it in the future.

mlgc20

WKR
My understanding is that by the letter and intent of the law it would be illegal. At least in most jurisdictions. This comes up fairly often with groups that "pool" tags in some whitetail camps. I'm certainly no expert in the law. But, my understanding is that it is very clear that the tag is to be used by the person it's assigned to. It doesn't matter if that person is there, but let's someone else pull the trigger. It's certainly reasonable to have a conversation about whether the law is good or not.

I can certainly sympathize. I have a 13 year old daughter who is my primary hunting partner. I would let her shoot everything that is mine if it were up to me. I get much more joy out of her taking something down, than doing it myself. But, I wouldn't let my kid fill my tag, no matter how much I would like to do that. Unless in a state where that is legal.

87TT

WKR
Just no unless legal. Chances are low but if caught both of you could lose privileges for a long time.

Werty

WKR
If it's legal and the parent doesn't care, its nobody's else's business. Who cares what other people think.

Poser

WKR
Party Tag. Probably illegal and you and your kid might have to lie about it somewhere in the process. Also, why allow him the “instant gratification” of such a scenario for a tag that takes years to draw? He’s not any more special than anyone else, why shouldn’t he wait his turn? Let him experience the process with you and if he desires and is motivated than he can hope to draw his own tag some day.

Redarrow

FNG
Not even a question if its illegal. Even if it is legal i wouldn’t do it on a special tag of some kind. Let kids put in the time and work themselves. JMO

OP
B

bigharge

WKR
You're gonna get a lot of responses condemning that thought.

I have no problem with it - your kid, your tag - do what makes you happiest.

Ultimately, some things are better left unsaid. This was one of them.

Yeah, If it’s something I wanted to do I wouldn’t be asking around!

The topic got brought up as we were daydreaming over what that feeling would be like to draw a bighorn tag one day. He said yeah, I’d probably want to let my son shoot it if I actually drew one. I told him I didn’t think it worked like that, but if he did his son would probably end up shooting a state record and then he would have to sit around and pose and give interviews on a ram he didn’t even shoot, lol

bobr1

WKR
Yeah this starts to get into ethics and why Montana almost stopped doing youth applications for Sheep, Goat and Moose for the opposite reason last season. Parents put in for all their kids (increasing there chances to draw), then it the parents taking their hunt because they don't want to wait. Wife had a student that drew a nice sheep tag in the breaks. Her friend showed my wife the pictures, she was crying saying she would never do it again and didn't want anything to be killed (this was her first hunt). That's why the tags aren't trasnferable you could have multiple older relatives put in for a tag that you want and let you shoot it. If it's legal where you are sure but people are entitled and get mad when the law says that are not allowed to do something. I also know of several people who have done similiar and did get caught when they start asking the kid and parents questions seperatley and the story doesn't add up. A lot less likely for normal game but if you draw a special tag and have to take it in to get checked you might not be as lucky.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.