Allowing your son/daughter to punch your tag? Thoughts...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wrench

WKR
The intent argument will be countered by the enforcement with you are increasing odds by having more guns pointed in the direction of the tag.

Only plausible defense would be one gun between two people.....and that's a stretch.

There are places that allow proxy hunting....and even that gets abused.

OP
B

bigharge

WKR
Yeah this starts to get into ethics and why Montana almost stopped doing youth applications for Sheep, Goat and Moose for the opposite reason last season. Parents put in for all their kids who have much better draw odds, then it the parents taking their hunt because they don't want to wait. Wife had a student that drew a nice sheep tag in the breaks. Her friend showed my wife the pictures, she was crying saying she would never do it again and didn't want anything to be killed (this was her first hunt). That's why the tags aren't trasnferable you could have multiple older relatives put in for a tag that you want and let you shoot it. If it's legal where you are sure but people are entitled and get mad when the law says that are not allowed to do something. I also know of several people who have done similiar and did get caught when they start asking the kid and parents questions seperatley and the story doesn't add up. A lot less likely for normal game but if you draw a special tag and have to take it in to get checked you might not be as lucky.

Yeah, this gets abused a ton imo. Here in Texas a kid can get a license for 7 bucks. That’s 5 extra deer tags for Dad as long as junior is with him. It’s like most things, it’s a good thing for junior hunters but still gets abused by others

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would absolutely have no problem with it, in fact, I’ve done it....well sort of.Several years ago I drew a, not so difficult, caribou tag and decided immediately that when my 10-year-old son and I did the hunt, if he didn’t kill a Caribou, we would come home empty-handed. Long story short, he only got one opportunity at about 250 yards, missed, and we came home empty-handed. He had his hunter safety card and it was all totally legal, but it was his first big game hunt and I was hoping that he would be able to take his first big game animal.
ae5f31702b0e4355509df5571ee10658.jpg

OP
B

bigharge

WKR
That's the trouble in this world now. Kids don't have to learn to earn something. Or face disappointment. Give them a participation trophy.

I agree with this to a point. Getting lucky in a random draw isn’t really what I’d consider earning something though. The earning should come through the scouting, training, and putting in the work on the mountain.

But I get what you are saying. We live here in Texas where you can kill whatever your dad can afford. It’s amazing how many kids my sons age have shot 190” whitetail or whatever other exotic African animal they wanted.

I remember when my son turned 10 he was so excited to finally be able to apply for some draws out of state. He got lucky and drew a youth cow elk in Arizona and after some hard scouting and hunting we connected on a mature cow. That spring he was telling some of his baseball buddies about his elk hunt when one kid says that’s cool and pulls out his iPhone and shows him this giant 6x6 bull he shot. My son said that’s awesome where did you draw that tag, I don’t know, somewhere at a ranch in Texas, lol. Different strokes for different folks I guess

I would absolutely have no problem with it, in fact, I’ve done it....well sort of.Several years ago I drew a, not so difficult, caribou tag and decided immediately that when my 10-year-old son and I did the hunt, if he didn’t kill a Caribou, we would come home empty-handed. Long story short, he only got one opportunity at about 250 yards, missed, and we came home empty-handed. He had his hunter safety card and it was all totally legal, but it was his first big game hunt and I was hoping that he would be able to take his first big game animal.

So in AK it's legal for someone else to shoot an animal with your tag?

Or legal if it's your kin?

Sent from my F1 using Tapatalk

Yeah this starts to get into ethics and why Montana almost stopped doing youth applications for Sheep, Goat and Moose for the opposite reason last season. Parents put in for all their kids who have much better draw odds, then it the parents taking their hunt because they don't want to wait. Wife had a student that drew a nice sheep tag in the breaks. Her friend showed my wife the pictures, she was crying saying she would never do it again and didn't want anything to be killed (this was her first hunt). That's why the tags aren't trasnferable you could have multiple older relatives put in for a tag that you want and let you shoot it. If it's legal where you are sure but people are entitled and get mad when the law says that are not allowed to do something. I also know of several people who have done similiar and did get caught when they start asking the kid and parents questions seperatley and the story doesn't add up. A lot less likely for normal game but if you draw a special tag and have to take it in to get checked you might not be as lucky.

kids have better draw odds?

Mosster47

Lil-Rokslider
If the tag holder is physically there at the time of the harvest it shouldn't really matter who does the killing. You've bought the ticket and taken the ride.

ae5f31702b0e4355509df5571ee10658.jpg

That's a great law!

RS3579

WKR
I would definitely do it for my children. Here in Pennsylvania it is legal to do this, any age. The adult carries the firearm and the youth shots the animal. It’s a great way to get youth hunters involved. Some people say they didn’t put in the time. I disagree to an extent. I hope the adult has the child put in the time to learn how to shoot the firearm. That takes a lot of time and true confidence building. When my children can effectively shot a centerfire gun they’ll definitely be participating in this mentoring hunt. Trophy size hunt or meat in the freezer hunt. The youth uses the adults tag.

bowhuntrben

Lil-Rokslider
If it’s legal then no question yes. If it’s not then no. I’m continuing to apply in some states because it’s legal to transfer the tag to a minor. It’s my goal to draw a decent tag and transfer it to them

IF it is legal, then why not?

If not legal, no way. Not being able to tell anybody about their once in a lifetime trophy. Teaching your kid to lie to the law, friends, and family.

If it legal that's great. It would be here in Oregon under certain provisions I think its called mentored youth.
But if it's not legal in that state no way.
Everyone I know who's dad poached also has poached at some point.
Then your also going to have to tell the youth to lie. Because if they go to school and tell the truth the cops might just show up and take the animal.
So your teaching game laws do not matter and be a liar so you dont get caught.
Like I said if it legal great.
Having to hide the truth because it was only "farely legal" no go

IF it is legal, then why not?

If not legal, no way. Not being able to tell anybody about their once in a lifetime trophy. Teaching your kid to lie to the law, friends, and family.
Yeah when I answered the question, I assumed it was under the stipulation that it's not legal, therefore the question was asked.

If it's legal then obviously go for it!

Okhotnik

WKR
I agree with this to a point. Getting lucky in a random draw isn’t really what I’d consider earning something though. The earning should come through the scouting, training, and putting in the work on the mountain.

But I get what you are saying. We live here in Texas where you can kill whatever your dad can afford. It’s amazing how many kids my sons age have shot 190” whitetail or whatever other exotic African animal they wanted.

I remember when my son turned 10 he was so excited to finally be able to apply for some draws out of state. He got lucky and drew a youth cow elk in Arizona and after some hard scouting and hunting we connected on a mature cow. That spring he was telling some of his baseball buddies about his elk hunt when one kid says that’s cool and pulls out his iPhone and shows him this giant 6x6 bull he shot. My son said that’s awesome where did you draw that tag, I don’t know, somewhere at a ranch in Texas, lol. Different strokes for different folks I guess

Many people have spent thousands of dollars over the years putting in for draws so they are working ( earning) this money to put in for tags. So in some cases it is more than luck and is not a handout.

nowen22

FNG
I know Utah has their own Youth Mentor Program that makes this legal. That being said, if I had waited 20+ years to draw a moose tag or LE Elk tag, then I’d have a really hard time letting my son be the one to pull the trigger. But if that is what you want and it’s legal where you’re at then go for it.

Northernpiker

WKR
Classified Approved
I guess I'm confused on the question. I assumed the situation was that I drew a tough tag, had my son or daughter along on my hunt beside me all the way. I spot a critter I'm hunting for and my kid says "dad can I shoot it". I very possibly would let him shoot it, if I feel he's capable of making the shot. I'm guessing the OP meant this was illegal if it was legal their is no controversy.

lif

WKR
I think most of us are overreacting about giving a kid something. We all give our kids certain things that they didn’t earn. They are KIDS!! They don’t have jobs or the ability to earn it. To each there own when deciding what to provide your child. I let my boy fill my general deer tag on a little forky when he was 10. He was ready and excited to hunt. Not everyone has a kid who is ready that young. Some do. But....... in hind sight, our hunt went smooth and we didn’t have to talk to any law enforcement. I don’t think there is a true moral issue with it, but I would hate to have my kid put in the position to have to answer to the law about it. So I might not make the same decision now. And if I did, I wouldn’t ask a hunting forum about it, I would just do it. Good luck.

Negative. Teach them to follow the rules. They will be better off for it in the long run, not only with hunting, but life in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.