Allterra vs Mesa stocks

Morning, I was looking at a replacement stock for my Tikka. Has anyone handled both the Allterra Carbon Hunter and the Mesa Altitude and have opinions either way? Internet searches seem to show that the Allterra is a few ounces lighter?

Also curious if anyone has ever painted the standard black carbon fiber Allterra and had good luck? Thanks in advance.

I have a Mesa Precision Altitude on a Bergara HMR and have ordered an Allterra stock for my Tikka. I have handled rifles in the Allterra stock but don't have any trigger time behind it yet. Both are well made stocks. People that know more about it than me will tell you the Allterra design is better and helps you control recoil better. I've been happy with my Mesa stock and haven't had issues with recoil but it is on a 6.5 Creedmoor as well. The weight will be within a few ounces at most of each other so I wouldn't let that decide for you. If you have a chance to handle both then do it. Sorry I can't give you more of a side by side comparison yet.

Morning, I was looking at a replacement stock for my Tikka. Has anyone handled both the Allterra Carbon Hunter and the Mesa Altitude and have opinions either way? Internet searches seem to show that the Allterra is a few ounces lighter?

Also curious if anyone has ever painted the standard black carbon fiber Allterra and had good luck? Thanks in advance.
I've had both but not on a Tikka.
The Mesa will be a few ounces lighter but the Carbon Hunter is definitely the better stock

OutdoorAg

WKR
The Manners EHT probably also deserves some discussion for best aftermarket Tikka stock. Although the wait times are atrocious.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Have both, options will decide which one is heavier. If the rifle has some recoil you will love the negative comb on the Allterra I also like the offset palm swell on the Allterra. I do wish the Allterra had a vertical grip like the Mesa. If I had to choose it would be the Allterra.

fatbacks

WKR
I have both on tikkas. I like them both for fit. Mesa is a bit more comfortable when prone. If I had to choose I would go with the Alterra/Axial stock for all around use.

Note on the Alterra, you will have to do a full length bedding job. I have heard they do a good job at their factory. I only bedded the recoil lug and the tang. Unfortunately there is no carbon fiber reinforcement in the recoil lug area. My accuracy started going to crap and I pulled the action and found the recoil lug had compressed the foam behind it and basically became useless.

IMG_1550.JPG

Emailed Alterra and they said I should have bedded the whole thing and that they wouldn't touch it. Pretty crap customer service IMHO. Anyhow, I am going to try and salvage it. I will post a thread on the fix if it turns out ok. As for now, I have an expensive chunk of useless carbon fiber and foam in my shop. Talked to two gunsmiths and they both said it should have more than just filler foam in the recoil lug area with a tikka recoil lug. Long story short, I would have them bed your action so they'll stand behind their product if something like this happens.

I have both on tikkas. I like them both for fit. Mesa is a bit more comfortable when prone. If I had to choose I would go with the Alterra/Axial stock for all around use.

Note on the Alterra, you will have to do a full length bedding job. I have heard they do a good job at their factory. I only bedded the recoil lug and the tang. Unfortunately there is no carbon fiber reinforcement in the recoil lug area. My accuracy started going to crap and I pulled the action and found the recoil lug had compressed the foam behind it and basically became useless.

View attachment 268809

Emailed Alterra and they said I should have bedded the whole thing and that they wouldn't touch it. Pretty crap customer service IMHO. Anyhow, I am going to try and salvage it. I will post a thread on the fix if it turns out ok. As for now, I have an expensive chunk of useless carbon fiber and foam in my shop. Talked to two gunsmiths and they both said it should have more than just filler foam in the recoil lug area with a tikka recoil lug. Long story short, I would have them bed your action so they'll stand behind their product if something like this happens.
Umm not to come off rudely here but that was definitely your fault.
Bedding the recoil lug properly is a must, you need to bed 1" in front of the lug and take it back to the mag cutout behind the front pillar. Easy fix man
It should look something like this
20210227_125052.jpg