Allterra Arms C2 Action Review ***Updated 8/15/22***

This build is getting close! I received these pictures from the gunsmith today, Travis Stevens with TS Customs. I’m very excited to get this back after cerakote and see how accurate this rifle is. I chose Travis because he has a reputation on building amazing rifles and he does a ton of 6.5 PRCs.

Excited to see how this turns out. I have 3 barrels from Travis and they all shoot fantastic and he was great to deal with. 2 of them replaced problem barrels from others. The only reason i'd even consider looking elsewhere for a gunsmith these days is their affiliation with muley freak.

OP
Travis Bertrand

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Excited to see how this turns out. I have 3 barrels from Travis and they all shoot fantastic and he was great to deal with. 2 of them replaced problem barrels from others. The only reason i'd even consider looking elsewhere for a gunsmith these days is their affiliation with muley freak.
funny, I think Travis is an amazing smith, and my only gripe with him is the same you mentioned :)

OP
Travis Bertrand

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
my daughter shot her first match with the rifle this weekend. and she CRUSHED it!

The rifle had zero issues and it was awesome to see her make a ton of first round impacts. Im loving this action guys.

FULL REVIEW IS COMING SOON!

@Travis Bertrand good write up. The stratton action eval part caught my interest and raises some questions:

1. I'm pretty ignorant on firing pin function - any chance someone could explain what firing pin drag on the tip is? Is wasted firing pin fall just excessive travel/protrusion?
  2. Did Stratton mention any specifics on custom actions that seem to perform best/worst as far as bolt face being perpendicular and consistent lug contact? In the past I always looked at custom actions as a premium to avoid any "truing" that might be involved with a m700 action.

OP
Travis Bertrand

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
@Travis Bertrand good write up. The stratton action eval part caught my interest and raises some questions:

1. I'm pretty ignorant on firing pin function - any chance someone could explain what firing pin drag on the tip is? Is wasted firing pin fall just excessive travel/protrusion?
  2. Did Stratton mention any specifics on custom actions that seem to perform best/worst as far as bolt face being perpendicular and consistent lug contact? In the past I always looked at custom actions as a premium to avoid any "truing" that might be involved with a m700 action.
Hey thanks for the kind words!
1- firing pin drag is basically friction between the firing pin tip and the firing pin hole on the bolt body. any firing pin drag robs inertia, as well as makes the inertia inconsistent. Some gunsmiths say that if they could do just one thing to a stock rem700 to make it shoot better, it would be to go through the firing system. It wouldn't be truing the action, or anything else you would do to a stock rifle. Ive heard that from multiple well respected smiths.
2- Yes there are specific companies for customs. that have a better/worse alignment but it doesn't matter and I won't name companies. I can't remember if I mentioned it, but that is down on the list of importance on actions. even the worst ones can still be amazing shooters. its more to do with attention to detail and producing a straight action in every sense of the word. I will say some of the companies that produce the straightest are typically only found in F class matches.

Team AllTerra

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
@Travis Bertrand Thank you very much for your honest and attentive review of our action. Extra props to you for taking the time to send it out and get further opinion from an un-affiliated expert. It's good for us to read his feedback as well! Your rifle turned out beautiful, and the fact that your daughter is using it to further her involvement in the sport of shooting is just icing on the cake. Best of luck to you and her this fall!

We'd like to extend another Thank You to those who have followed along with interest in Travis' project. We just launched the C2 Action back in December, and this has been the only third-party web review of it thus far (that we're aware of). There are a handful of rifle builders who keep coming back for more of them for their clients' projects which is a good sign.

We're only a phone call or email away should anyone have interest or questions on our products!

AllTerra Arms
(208) 608-5179 / [email protected]