Allwoodarrows, I'm impressed

When your box of arrows arrives from allwoodarrows.com, the first thing you'll struggle with is the quality craftsmanship...because these are so strikingly beautiful you'll feel guilty shooting em and scratching em up. They look and feel like museum pieces. Seriously! They are works of art. I spun tested them and they were all wobble-free. I'm told they are all within 20grs of each other but haven't weighed em yet. My groups are comparable to narrower carbon shafts. I can't wait to put these babies thru lungs. Brian...you are a master craftsman.
(click on image to enlarge)
allwoodarrows.JPG

I've been shooting wood arrows for around 8 years now. I love the beauty and feel of wood arrows and will never go back. I've bought several dozen from all wood arrows and they are top notch for sure. Also I would highly recommend Rose City Archery, they make some sweet wood arrows as well as addicitive archery also makes some stunning arrows.

Beendare

WKR
Woods arrows are hardcore. I don’t know if I’ll ever be ready for that.
I'm with ya.

I saw the difference it made with a compound to assemble my BH's on arrows to within .002"vs .004", it made a significant difference in groups. The POC arrows I had years ago..... and have shot tourneys with guys using them can hold a bend after a couple shots.

Shoot any trad tourney and you see guys sighting down their wood arrows and tweaking them to make them straight. You have to get good straightening those....and to their credit, many guys can tweak them just right.

More power to them...its old school for sure. When I hunt, I want the straightest strongest arrow I can get....though its arguably overkill with a Stickbow.

_______

Wood arrows work just fine. If they didn't, none of us would be here to discuss this. LOL

It's not hard (or even required that often) to hand-straighten wood arrows. Good wood arrows almost never need hand-straightening. Cheap ones on the other hand...

There are a few things to remember here when talking about hunting with wood arrows.

First, you're not going to be taking shots that are long enough to worry about .002-.004" straightness. Not even close. At the distances most folks shoot game with wood arrows, even a noticeable wobble won't matter.

Second, spine is much more important than straightness or even weight. For finger shooters out of stickbows, correct and consistent arrow spine trumps all.

Third, wood arrows are quiet and deadly. See my initial comment. Every critter I've shot with wood arrows from a stickbow has required me to pull the arrow out of the dirt on the far side after it ran off and died. Just use a good, sharp 2-blade head and go have fun. Hunting with wood arrows just makes traditional bowhunting that much more interesting.

Last edited:

Mythewood

FNG
There was a time under the tutelage of a wise arrowsmith that I was shooting wood arrows every bit as I'm shooting carbons now. I got away from wood arrows after he died because of the ones I made, maybe 8-10 out of a dozen where shooters and the others became kids arrows.

Then I met Brent Hahn of Valkyrie Archery in the start up days of his business. I started shooting his carbons and that's where I am today. They are incredible carbons that I've done some pretty impressive things with, but nothing that I haven't done with a properly spined cedar shaft with a razor sharp 2 blade
broadhead.

Now I find Im once again being drawn into the lore of wood and will start monkeying with it again. At the same time I'm also kind of monkeying with the concept of take down carbons like I did on my NM elk hunt, but with a high FOC similar to Brent's arrows.

Blonde, brunette, redhead? Just so many choices out there! 😄