Almost 40, first season hunting

ScreenName typo.... Shoulda been "Whiskey Bizness"... classic newbie blunder.

Much to my wife's irritation, I've added another hobby to the list to take more time and money away, lol.

I am 37, Denver, CO, moved from ST. Louis, MO in 2000 before it went crazy here in CO. I have been a long-time backpacker, fly fisherman, backcountry snowboarding, and re-build old motorcycles in my workshop in the back. Maybe I should say "motorcycle", since I just finished my first one last year! I have hunted once before, that was like 6 years bow-hunting for elk in Steamboat on private land with my Ex father-in-law, sooooooo...

My family all went in together for some land in Unit 50 last year, and got my dad and I thinking... so I bought a couple mule deer books on amazon, Tikka TK3 superlight, SS fluted barrel, Burris Veracity scope (5-25x50), some cheap binos from wish.com, some entry-level camo and blaze orange, and small fanny pack. All the stuff that beginners don't think about I have now too, very gradually... all the scent control stuff, bipod, gators, breeze squeeze, game bags, neoprene camo scope cover, a few different pairs of gloves, merino wool base layers, and so on.

Excited to learn from everyone here, and looking forward to reaching 10 posts ASAP so I can try to buy a MR Metcalf pack asap, lol

Welcome and I'm also an 40'ish adult-onset hunter. I prepped for and went on my first elk hunt this fall and it's been a great learning experience and journey.

Outlaw99

WKR
You’ll be fine! Sounds like you’re on the right track. My best friend is in his mid forty’s, fat, out of shape, and can’t hunt to save his life! But he’s still out there trying, and having fun, when he’s not out of breath and eating a snickers some where. I’d say you’re light years ahead and set for success.

Jbehredt

WKR
Welcome. And p.s. you had to get here before the 90s to say you did it before it was cool.....

Welcome to the sport! As someone who inherited the sport from my father at a very young age, I sometimes envy the perspective shift brought on for those who are adult-onset hunters. Good luck, be patient, stay safe and enjoy the process!