Alone guy and cutting the cord

hunterjmj

WKR
We cut cable about 3 years ago. We have Netflix, Disney + and YouTube premium. About $25/month. Disney plus is free with Verizon.

TheGDog

WKR
9 years for me. Streaming only since then.
Dont miss the inappropriate commercials one bit.
My daughter never knew what a commercial was till she was 10 at a friends house 😁
^^^Single Biggest Reason to have a Netflix or other streaming service when you have small kids!

Like freakin' 2 seconds into some lame-stream media TV/Cable channel and BOOM!!! They're bombarding your kid with more things that are gonna make him go "Daddy..... I want Daaaaat! I've been Good! I've been Good!"

Such a great thing to be able to cut that out of their lives during their younger years.

Rob5589

WKR
Is cutting the cord and subscribing to all these other streaming providers cheaper than just sticking with DIRECTV or something similar?
We recently scaled back on our Dish service to a minimal package. I found that if I were to pay to stream what my wife and kids watch it was roughly the same. Plus the fact that we can only get ATT for internet which sucks and makes streaming a buffering mess at times. I wouldn't have anything if it were up to me.

jmez

WKR
Is cutting the cord and subscribing to all these other streaming providers cheaper than just sticking with DIRECTV or something similar?
Way cheaper. I have YouTube tv. It is $60 a month. I was paying $160 with dish network. I get the same sports channels and all local channels.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Finch

WKR
Cut the cord 8 years ago. Say you spend $120 a month for satellite or cable... that's $1,440 a year. That's a NR elk tag and gas, lodging, and food getting there.

We have two antennas and get all the local channels crystal clear. Also have prime and Netflix. I stream YouTube to get my hunting and outdoors fix.

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
I guess it depends on how many subscriptions you buy. But for us it is Wayyyyy cheaper

We cut the cord and just have Amazon Prime on the firestick with several of the free apps on there that has movies as well. Share a Netflix account with wife's sister (shhhh dont tell) and currently have Peacock, but likely wont renew, and go back to Disney Plus. That pretty much does it for us.

With two kids 8 and 6 that watch mainly cartoons and youtube crap we dont miss satellite and its prices at all.

I do miss sports mainly football, prime does carry some of the thursday night games though, which seems to be all i have time for it seems anyway so i can watch it a little. and usually the superbowl is streaming somehwere for free.

Amazon Prime $119 per year. (probably save that much in free shipping as much as we order from there cause we live an hour from the closest wal mart area)

Peacock is $50 per year

Last edited:
I guess it depends on how many subscriptions you buy. But for us it is Wayyyyy cheaper

We cut the cord and just have Amazon Prime on the firestick with several of the free apps on there that has movies as well. Share a Netflix account with wife's sister (shhhh dont tell) and currently have Peacock, but likely wont renew, and go back to Disney Plus. That pretty much does it for us.

With two kids 8 and 6 that watch mainly cartoons and youtube crap we dont miss satellite and its prices at all.

I do miss sports mainly football, prime does carry some of the thursday night games though, which seems to be all i have time for it seems anyway so i can watch it a little. and usually the superbowl is streaming somehwere for free.

Amazon Prime $119 per year. (probably save that much in free shipping as much as we order from there cause we live an hour from the closest wal mart area)

Peacock is $50 per year

How the heck can you stream in Highland?

I apparently need to be doing some complaining. Only option I have is a wireless hotspot. No way am I going to try to stream through that.

TheGDog

WKR
Some dude with a packet sniffer ain't gonna be gettin' his jollies of possibly intercepting you hitting the Submit button to login to your Netflix account.

Now, if you were foolish enough to check your bank balance while at that hotspot, then that's on you. But just logging in to possibly stream? (highly doubt they'd have sufficient bandwidth anyway)

Billinsd

WKR
I'd love to cut the cord, but my wife has got to watch her Novelas! Where can you watch Novelas without a cord?

Finch

WKR
How the heck can you stream in Highland?

I apparently need to be doing some complaining. Only option I have is a wireless hotspot. No way am I going to try to stream through that.

Remind me where abouts you live again? Just curious.

@tugrivercopper my wife grew up in Highland Co. I've been to the maple festival a few times but not my favorite thing to do. No offense!

Finch

WKR
I'm right off the death trap, just need to go north/south to get on it. Closest to exit 235.

Between Staunton/Hburg.
Gotcha. Grew up in Rockbridge co but now in Franklin co.

Cord cutters carry on.....:)

mwebs

WKR
Who actually has cable at this point? Smart TV and a couple of subscriptions and that’s all you need. A few less than reputable streaming sites and all your sports are free just plug a hdmi into your tv and you have free hd sports.

wilkINkc

Lil-Rokslider
Got rid of ours a few months ago. Should have done it years ago since we hardly even watch anything. Most of the time when we DO watch something its streamed anyways. We have netflix and amazon prime.

About a year and half in on cutting the cord. We already had Netflix and Prime ...Hulu has been great so far, local news, live sports, History, Nat Geo, and espn for UFC and F1.

HOT ROD

WKR
Cut the cord several years ago best thing we did for sure,,, We have a small antena to pick up a couple channels and stream sum other stuff...

bradr3367

Lil-Rokslider
We cut the cord 5 yrs ago and don't miss cable or Direct TV. We went with Sling & the Amazon Fire stick. We're now dropping Sling and are going with Discovery + and Friendly TV. Sling has too many lengthy commercials, and we only watched about 3 stations. Saving $25 now. Plus we share Netflix and Hulu with my son, so we have way more TV than we can possibly watch.

kpk

WKR
We had Dish for awhile at around $120/month. We switched to Sling and Netflix a few years back and are happy with it. I think Sling is around $40 and Netflix is $10ish. I basically watch History or Nat Geo. Girls like Netflix for for movies.

That being said....usually the TV is only on while we're making supper or for backround noise - especially in the summer. We all watch more in the winter when we can't be outside all the time.