Alone

adamm88

WKR
Anyone watching the current season of alone? I know there was a thread talking about the series last year.
Theres some contestants that are wearing “high” end hunting gear, i was always surprised the last few seasons there wasn’t more clothing from hunting manufacturers. Also it seems like there us going to be some big game taken this season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Soj51hopeful

Lil-Rokslider
I watch it. I don’t love the show but it’s ok. I think the 2nd guy to tap should’ve boiled that muskrat. Hein sight is 20/20 though. I’ve heard guys talk shit about all the good gear the contestants get and say it’s too easy. BULL shite! What they do would be very difficult physically and especially emotionally.

OP
A

adamm88

WKR
I watch it. I don’t love the show but it’s ok. I think the 2nd guy to tap should’ve boiled that muskrat. Hein sight is 20/20 though. I’ve heard guys talk shit about all the good gear the contestants get and say it’s too easy. BULL shite! What they do would be very difficult physically and especially emotionally.

I thought the same thing the muskrat, the first guy seemed like douche as well, when he was walking with his stick bow with “one in the chamber” I thought he was going to stab himself, he seemed arrogant and cocky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
I like the show.....it is entertaining. It would be hard to be that hungry for so long but man, some of those mishaps ya just gotta suck it up.

Randy

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
My son and I enjoy it. I think the hardest part of a challange like that would be being away from family and worrying everything at home is okay.

K

Kootenay Hunter

Would like to see someone take some big game this year. Smoked/preserved meat will help them last the winter. The cold is going to knock them out quick.

This time they are not in the 'arctic' and far from it, closer to Alberta than the arctic circle, really it's the sub arctic boreal forest. When I saw the title I got excited, expected Baffin island...

They are in griz country this time, first time, should be interesting.

The squirrel shot was money, hopefully a heart shot on a caribou next time!

I always find the folks that are most resourceful win. Those who are experts making friction fires for school kids in the local forest are usually useless.

It's 90% a mental game.

K

Kootenay Hunter

I thought the same thing the muskrat, the first guy seemed like douche as well, when he was walking with his stick bow with “one in the chamber” I thought he was going to stab himself, he seemed arrogant and cocky.

Didn't he slip and fall and break his leg later on?

Mrwigelow

FNG
My wife and I watch the show religiously. I love to see the different shelter options they come up with! I can’t imagine being in that environment coming into winter.

PhotoHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I watch the show. I think it's funny when the cocky ones tap first. My first thought when the guy was getting ready to shoot the squirrel was "good bye arrow". Awesome that he nailed it!

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Love the show, been following since it started. I’ve always wondered how I’d fare. Some of the early winners really just won because other competitors had random mishaps, I remember one where the guy was out for line 55 days and a dude took a dunk in his “boat” and tapped so the other dude just won.

I enjoy it - its better than a lot of crap out there. It annoys me that a significant portion of the people take the strategy of 'starving their way through it'. I want to see a winner that is solid enough that he/she is in a steady state of survival such that they could carry on (physically) for years. We haven't seen that yet. There's been some that I thought could get to that point, but they tapped out for other reasons.

Its surprising how many skilled people tap because of the mental game. In my opinion, they should be choosing people that are more divorced from life's ties - namely, family. Pick some young folks that have no reason to be home and see how long it goes (like the guy in Patagonia that caught lots and dried lots of fish but stupidly wouldn't eat any of them). Then again, maybe they need people that punch out quick so that it doesn't go on to long - and cost too much.

Its also a reality check into just how fast a little problem can become a game ender. Like that girl that got a fish hook stuck under a tendon and couldn't get it out.

K

Kootenay Hunter

Its also a reality check into just how fast a little problem can become a game ender. Like that girl that got a fish hook stuck under a tendon and couldn't get it out.

Yes, sometimes it's the little things! I typically don't fish with barbs (illegal for me) but if you were in survival mode, do you keep the babrs to ensure good hook ups, or pinch it because of the potential complications if you tag yourself?....attention to details seems to be important. And as folks get hungry and lonely, their mind wanders and stuff steps in.

The guy who broke his leg....seriously? Must have just been too nervous or focusing on getting good gootage instead of being present in the moment.

I wonder if they have a stipulation that they must record XX amount of hours of footage in order to qualify for the prize....definitely would be a pita, as I hardly even take photos when out and about in the woods.

Midwest.Bushlore

Lil-Rokslider
I have mixed feelings about Alone. On the one hand it's cool to see a show that highlights bushcraft and survival skills. But it's really a game show/reality show hybrid with a lot of fake drama. It's also bad for setting people on vastly uneven footing with arbitrary rules that would never crop up in a survival situation IRL. In one season one woman was dropped off in a location where you almost had to try to fail so rich were the resources for seafood; in the same one another guy had to camp basically on the side of a cliff with little resources.

The list of items is kind of whack, too. A bow is okay but a gun is forbidden. You can have a tarp but not a tent. Your ten items could weigh 100 lbs yet 20 items that weigh ten pounds isn't allowed. Obviously there's a need to follow the game and fishing laws of the locales where they film so I understand that. But in a survival situation such rules are out the window.

Also the rules are skewed against the women. The woman that got the fish hook in her hand came very close to winning season three was DQ'd over having too low a bodyfat percentage yet the other guy's bodyfat percentage was even lower. There seems no medical reason that's legitimate for women to have standards 5% higher than a male's.

As far as surviving indefinitely, that's a tall order for one person. That's why humans have lived in groups for hundreds of thousands to millions of years (depending on where you draw the line as to what is human). It's hard to a person to live alone with no support for life! Heck, even the natives who knew the land and its resources like the back of their hand could succumb in periods of drought or famine. If you took durable, high quality gear, good fishing equipment and a lot of supplies and/or a firearm and lots of ammo you could probably survive in the right location for the rest of your normal lifespan...or until you died from some injury or lack of medical care.

ChrisS

WKR
I think there's been more game harvested this season than the other seasons combined. One guy has sights on a moose and he's dressed head to toe in Kuiu. I'm surprised that previous contestants haven't approached a high end clothing company and said, "hey, I'm going to be on this TV show about surviving in the outdoors, think of all the free advertising you can get if you set me up with a full kit."

Jebuwh

Lil-Rokslider
I just want Aron or Frank the Tank on there. They joked about it on a podcast and said Frank might just never come back haha.
It would be interesting to see a really skilled woodsman go out there. Probably wouldn't make for great TV without the drama though.