Alone

Seems like a lot more people are holding out for a lot longer than on other seasons, but I haven't actually tried to figure it out. Frankly, I'd much prefer trying to survive in the environment they are in than those of previous seasons. Patagonia (been there - to some very remote parts) is more or less barren of food other than fish and shell fish. Vancouver was virtually impenetrable and again also mostly just fish.

It was pretty amazing (to me) that that guy actually killed that moose. If he can keep stuff from getting the meat and from it spoiling, he's in pretty good shape. I'm surprised at how little success any of them have snaring rabbits.

K

Kootenay Hunter

This season has been boring.

Harvesting a moose and stopping wolverine have been the highlights

JFKinYK

Lil-Rokslider
I’ll clean up a few things even though I haven’t watched it-

They aren’t following local game laws. They were granted an exception. Any non resident requires a guide to hunt and barbeless hooks are mandatory in the territory.

It’s not really grizzly country. Far more likely to see a black bear there although grizzly do sometimes wander through.

As someone mentioned, not arctic but sub-Arctic in the boreal forest.

We had a very cold and early fall last year. The film crew got froze in and had to hire choppers to complete their checks. I also heard many other stories of how unprepared they were. I expect the cold weather and early ice will be a big factor.

^^^^ Interesting - thanks for the info. I've always wondered how they handle game laws. In this season, why they can't trap fox. I know that Canada trap lines are 'owned' unlike int he states, so that may be the reason, but it was said in the show that fox were protected which to me sounded rediculous.

K

Kootenay Hunter

^^^^ Interesting - thanks for the info. I've always wondered how they handle game laws. In this season, why they can't trap fox. I know that Canada trap lines are 'owned' unlike int he states, so that may be the reason, but it was said in the show that fox were protected which to me sounded rediculous.

I don't specifically in NWT, but in BC, there are some predators you can hunt, and some that fall strictly under fur bearers which can only be trapped. Ex. open season on wolverines, but can only trap foxes, marten, etc.

Since they're given exceptions, I'm assuming that they were told to leave foxes alone as they have not value in killing other than to prevent them from stealing trapped game, but that's kind of the point of the show.....got to build a better 'hare' trap.

JFKinYK

Lil-Rokslider
There is no trapping or hunting of fur bearers by non-aboriginals in the territory (muskrat, beaver, fox, lynx etc). I think they were also likely granted an exemption for that by the local First Nation band and govt as they were the hunting if someone ate a muskrat as was mentioned earlier. Not sure why they claimed fox were off limits. Maybe because it would be too easy!

Wolverines are considered a game animal and any resident can buy a tag for one that allows hunting but not trapping, so this would fall under their exemption like moose.

Poser

WKR
I think there's been more game harvested this season than the other seasons combined. One guy has sights on a moose and he's dressed head to toe in Kuiu. I'm surprised that previous contestants haven't approached a high end clothing company and said, "hey, I'm going to be on this TV show about surviving in the outdoors, think of all the free advertising you can get if you set me up with a full kit."

Shit. I’d ask the companies to pay me $150,000 to be an “influencer” for the show.

There is no trapping or hunting of fur bearers by non-aboriginals in the territory (muskrat, beaver, fox, lynx etc). I think they were also likely granted an exemption for that by the local First Nation band and govt as they were the hunting if someone ate a muskrat as was mentioned earlier. Not sure why they claimed fox were off limits. Maybe because it would be too easy!

Wolverines are considered a game animal and any resident can buy a tag for one that allows hunting but not trapping, so this would fall under their exemption like moose.

Actually, I think they said Lynx were off limits if I remember (more) correctly...

K

Kootenay Hunter

What I don't understand is that participants don't seem to have an overall plan....they seem so sporadic in choices and efforts. Maybe there are some rules that don't get disclosed?

How many snares can someone make with a roll of wire? Like 50? Most have only dozen set up. Why not have a 1-2km trapline set up?

Why do active fishing when you can set up trot lines and fish overnight? All day everyday. Wnhy stop fishing after only catching one? When the bite is on, harvest and smoke what you don't eat.

Why would someone bring a cotton mexican poncho as a layer?

The shelters for the most part this season are pathetic....in the past there have been a few 'log cabins' set up. I realize that it takes calories, but still, be comfortable, stay a while....

I love being an armchair survivalist :p

K

Kootenay Hunter

Yeah, I'm not in the market, so I have no idea what the going rates are. I do know that I see that Kuiu logo at least 5-6 times an episode.

Someone else was decked out in Sitka stuff too

What blows my mind is the effort they all put into a shelter before they actually get any success at getting some food. Get something basic going and then figure out how to get food from multiple sources. Then start back in on the Taj-Mahal.

Most of them spend two weeks building a shelter and then realize they're pretty damned hungry. Then it just becomes a competition of each just trying to out-starve the others.

Moose & wolverine with primitive weapons...I'm addicted to ALONE. Would love to be a contestant but I cannot take months off work in Fall.

If a squirrel bites you, you're too FN stupid to be on the show.

Jordan is wearing Kuiu.

ToeJoe

FNG
Season 6 was absolutely insane. I noticed Jordan wearing KUIU and then the guy proceeds to kill a moose, and a wolverine (with a hatchet), absolutely nuts. Dude just crushed it in season 6.