Alpaca Hoodies

Elmer J. Fudd

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone have experience with alpaca hoodies and sweatshirts. It sounds like a great option for a second layer. Basically like merino but better. That could just be advertising though. I am probably going to pull the trigger on one to try out and was curious if anyone on Rokslide is using them yet. If I get one I will report back on what I think. I am currently using synthetics for that layer now.

Bump79

WKR
I'm not sold at all on it as a second layer compared to other synthetic options. I like a 50/50 merino blend on my base layer as I personally like that it takes in some moisture off my skin. I feel less sweaty but still dries quick. As a second layer that benefit doesn't factor in. My polyester mid layers can handle a light sprinkle and are dry.

These heavy weight Merino and Alpaca mid layers are marketing IMHO. More expensive, less durable, not as breathable and heavier. Don't fall for the GSM = warmth trick. A lighter GSM but more lofted will perform better.

My wife has maybe 3 Paka hoodies. Mostly for fashion and coziness. She does NOT really test them like a dude would. I don't see them as uber well constructed. I have alpaca socks. Not enough Lycra or elastic in them. Soft, yes....but maybe too soft.

Off topic....but the BEST and mostest kick ass Alpaca type hoody is the Powder from Duckworth. I have at least two and moving toward a 3rd.

I have a TON (maybe literally) of outdoor clothing. This Powder hoody is way at the top for warmth and Bang for Buck.

I was looking for an alternative to my down puffies that I could wear as an insulating layer under a rain shell.
I bought a very warm and fairly light alpaca hooded sweater new off of ebay for about $55. Not quite as light as synthetic fleece, but not much heavier, and much warmer. It's made by Andean Alpaca Co. I love it. The only thing I don't like is that the zipper is on the opposite side of what im used to. Not a big deal though.

Based on my experience with this bargain brand, I decided to buy a Paka hoodie. I figured for more than twice the cost it would be even better. Unfortunately, the Paka is a lot heavier and not nearly as warm. Kind of disappointing. It does look a little nicer, though.

Last edited:
OP
E

Elmer J. Fudd

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the eBay tip. It is certainly easier to experiment with something at 50 bucks vs 150 or more.

zipper on the opposite side is a womans jacket. Same as buttons on the opposite side. Its a several hundred year old standard that exists today. Back in those days wealthy women were dressed by their assistants so the buttons, then later zippers, were oriented for that. Lesson for the day.

zipper on the opposite side is a womans jacket. Same as buttons on the opposite side. Its a several hundred year old standard that exists today. Back in those days wealthy women were dressed by their assistants so the buttons, then later zippers, were oriented for that. Lesson for the day.

Don't European clothes also have zippers on the opposite side? My RAB puffy is all wonky. I've also bought some cheapie Amazon puffys for my boy that are opposite. I guess what I'm saying is that opposite side zipper is not diagnostic for a women's garment.

Braaap

WKR
Wife and I both have Rab jackets, hers women’s and mine men’s and both have zippers on the left for some reason.

GA284

FNG
Wow man .

P Carter

WKR
Don't European clothes also have zippers on the opposite side? My RAB puffy is all wonky. I've also bought some cheapie Amazon puffys for my boy that are opposite. I guess what I'm saying is that opposite side zipper is not diagnostic for a women's garment.
I’d say you're correct. Both my Rab jackets—which are men’s—have zippers on the left. I’ve had a few other European-brand clothes, I don’t remember the brand, with same. Funny how it throws you off. I dunno, maybe servants dressed European men, or it’s the same as driving on the road!

Maverick1

WKR
Yes, that is correct.

Meant to add that there is wide variety in “alpaca” clothing, as with anything else. I have a jacket made by altiplano I slation, which was based in Colorado but I think is out of business. It is all alpaca ( not a mix with synthetic) and without question is the warmest wool garment for its weight that I have worn; also very well made. I think a lot of others that have come along recently are not the same quality.