Alpacka Raft System

ChrisF

FNG
I've owned a Yak and a couple of Llama's. I wouldn't go that small for hunting, particularly if you're going to be doing moving water in colder weather. Adding your meat, head and trophy antlers could really bog you down. A smaller boat means you'll need to carry more immersion clothing too, unless you've got a good spray deck.

That being said, the smaller they are the less they'll weigh on your back.

My forager gets by in 3” of water (no not kidding) with around 400 lbs in it. They have an absurdly shallow draft. The forager is specifically meant to carry heavy loads though, so some of the smaller rafts may drag under heavier weight.

How well does the forager paddle solo if it's not weighed down? Can you use a kayak paddle?

207-12A

Lil-Rokslider
If you have the weight balanced well, you can paddle it solo with a kayak paddle. I wouldn’t recommend for anything above light class II’s though. The bow design is A+ and you won’t take on water, but maneuverability is tough solo. It’s very clearly designed for 2 people with canoe style paddles, that’s where it shines. Solo trip with my dog attached.

Attachments

• D2460793-1183-4295-BA77-16FFD819C982.jpeg
    D2460793-1183-4295-BA77-16FFD819C982.jpeg
    211.2 KB · Views: 117
Anyone have the Mule? Seems like a good compromise of size and weight for a solo paddler and appears to be able to carry a fair amount of weight.

AKBorn

WKR
Along with the great testimonial that Stid posted, Luke (one of the pro staff here I believe) has posted videos of he and his wife hiking into remote Alaska country, hunting caribou and bears, and then floating out using their packrafts. Great videos, Stid may have been in one of them.

I had one for a few years, great little craft. I didn't use mine on a river in AK, but did use it one year to ferry myself and another guy who went 240 pounds across a lake with our rifles and light packs. I figure there was about 500 pounds in the raft all told.

I recently pulled the trigger on a mule but wanted to give a heads up production time on rafts are running 6-8 weeks out.

Anyone have the Mule? Seems like a good compromise of size and weight for a solo paddler and appears to be able to carry a fair amount of weight.
I purchased a mule during the end of the year sale last year. One day trip and an overnighter, with gear and dog, suggest its going to be a solid piece of equipment. Full disclosure, I haven't abused it on sharp rocks or logs yet, or piled in 400 lbs to know how it handles fully loaded. Very stable in tight class 2 water with a backpack strapped to the bow, a 35 lbs dog and myself on the floor. And I'm not an experienced white water paddler.

207-12A

Lil-Rokslider
@Stid you won’t be disappointed! When did you place your order? I bought a classic in early June and am still patiently waiting.

Poser

WKR
If anyone is interested, Alpacka occasionally does a “sidewalk sale” of cosmetic blems, returns etc. they aren’t available for purchase online, but if the scheduling works, I’d be willing to go down there and shop some deals and ship it to you for members Rokslide. They are just 30 minutes down the road.

tdot

WKR
My Forager arrived,, it is huge for 13lbs with the floor installed. View attachment 200289

How have you been enjoying your Forager? How does it compare to the PR49?

I had a chance to jump in a Forager with a hunting buddy in September, for a quick 1/4 mile test paddle. He is a bigger dude at 6'5" and 240ish, to fit I was sitting on the top of the back tube and he was sitting on the inflated seat. Not ideal, but with the canoe paddles it was our only option. We ended up rolling it in fairly mellow conditions when he tried to adjust his seat position. I was seriously considering the Forager as I liked the idea of fitting gear within the hull, but was shocked at the speed of the roll. It felt like there was zero secondary stability. Now the PR49 is back at the top of the list, but if stability is equal in them, I'm not sure what I'd choose.

207-12A

Lil-Rokslider
How have you been enjoying your Forager? How does it compare to the PR49?

I had a chance to jump in a Forager with a hunting buddy in September, for a quick 1/4 mile test paddle. He is a bigger dude at 6'5" and 240ish, to fit I was sitting on the top of the back tube and he was sitting on the inflated seat. Not ideal, but with the canoe paddles it was our only option. We ended up rolling it in fairly mellow conditions when he tried to adjust his seat position. I was seriously considering the Forager as I liked the idea of fitting gear within the hull, but was shocked at the speed of the roll. It felt like there was zero secondary stability. Now the PR49 is back at the top of the list, but if stability is equal in them, I'm not sure what I'd choose.
The forager handles best when you have some weight in it. If you can find a way to get at least 50 pounds in each of the side tubes, it really cuts down on the tippy-ness factor. Run a forager slick and you feel very top heavy sitting up that high, load it down like it’s designed and it handles much much better.

tdot

WKR
The forager handles best when you have some weight in it. If you can find a way to get at least 50 pounds in each of the side tubes, it really cuts down on the tippy-ness factor. Run a forager slick and you feel very top heavy sitting up that high, load it down like it’s designed and it handles much much better.
Awesome, that's good to know. Thanks.

Wassid82

WKR
Has anyone here ever used the Alpacka Rafts for back country hunts? I am trying to figure out if this is worth the money. I'm considering the Caribou or the Mule for crossing rivers, streams, in the back country. Anyone who has experience with these I would appreciate it.
I've heard and read good things. I too would consider one but the price seems steep. Will a little research I found a company out of Canada that sells you the material and pattern with instructional videos on how to heat weld it together....I found that interesting for the discounted price

I’d just get a pristine ventures pr49, very happy with mine, prefer it over my wife’s alpaca and my friends alpaca.
The PR49 is all around the better raft but! It comes with a weight penalty. Pristine Ventures doesn't make a raft as light as Alpaca does. If you need ultralight or light weight options then Alpaca is your Huckleberry.