Alpha binocular conundrum

rye_a

Lil-Rokslider
Between an upcoming trip to Belize and just wanting to treat myself to better optics for hunting I have decided that it is time to upgrade from my trusty 10x42 Vortex Viper HDs. I'm looking at a wide variety of optics ranging from Leica Trinovids (~$900) to Swarovski SLC (~$1,550) , and finally to a pair of demo Leica Noctivids with full warranty (under $2k). I'm really only considering the Noctivids because they are a screaming deal, and they would be a bit of a stretch financially (and maybe maritally :)). I'm not looking at the Ultravid HD+ because I can get the Noctivids for less.

Any insight on which way I should go?

dah605

Lil-Rokslider
Both are top notch. The only way to know for certain which you would prefer is to look at them in a store. If I were to go sight unseen, I would stick with the Swaros, but that's me.

The best time to compare is at dusk, outside. If that isn't an option, look as far as in the distance into a dark corner. Cabelas stores have a lot of wood in them that is fastened with bolts and screws. I compared the detail on the screws. The Swaros were the only ones that I could see the marks on the screws from the assembly process. All of them could see the screws themselves. I went with the EL 8x32 mostly due to ergonomics.

-David

OP
R

rye_a

Lil-Rokslider
Both are top notch. The only way to know for certain which you would prefer is to look at them in a store. If I were to go sight unseen, I would stick with the Swaros, but that's me.

The best time to compare is at dusk, outside. If that isn't an option, look as far as in the distance into a dark corner. Cabelas stores have a lot of wood in them that is fastened with bolts and screws. I compared the detail on the screws. The Swaros were the only ones that I could see the marks on the screws from the assembly process. All of them could see the screws themselves. I went with the EL 8x32 mostly due to ergonomics.

-David

Thanks. The only ones I haven't handled are the Trinovids, and I plan to do that today. The SLC and Noctivids are amazing (of course they are compared to the Vipers), and I was really impressed with the Leica's lack of flare/fog when viewing at a close angle to the sun.

I'm not a guide, and I spend ~30 days per year in the field, so I'm a little concerned that the Noctivid is more glass than I need.

I hear a lot of bad things about the Leica warranty. Not so with Swarovski and Meopta, etc.

I see far, and I mean FAR more refurbished(warranty issue)Swaro's at Cabela's than Leicas. About on par with the number of Vortex bins. EL's and SLC's. I'm not even certain you need much of a warranty at all for robust built, well designed Leica's. Besides, Leica has been pretty good with any warranty claims recently from what I am reading....for those that do need them. Test results put the EL's and Noctovids the same in all qualities....and they are priced about the same as well. 2 grand for demo Noctovids....a 33% discount, and you are pondering the choice? I personally would not be picking SLC's or much lesser Trinovids over those well priced Nocto's, even if it was a bit more glass than I need. Birders are the pickiest glassers on the planet, and most will take Leica's 2-1 over Swaro's or Zeiss and serious ones wouldn't touch anything less than the big 3. So, where are these Nocto's for under 2K....?

dotman

WKR
I hear a lot of bad things about the Leica warranty. Not so with Swarovski and Meopta, etc.

The Leica warranty issue is a thing of the past, my recent experience was very good. Leica finally realized customer service goes a long way.

Trial153

WKR
I was speaking on the phone with Doug at camera land and made a recent Lecia purchase though him. He assured me that Lecia has step up their CS big time and recent experiences were excellent.

To the OP. All three you listed are excellent glass, you cant go wrong with anyone of them. I would look/ call around and see what kind of deal you can get, and then weight it against the Noctovisons

Last edited:

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
One great customer service manager can make a huge difference but the crappy service record is 10x longer the good service record. Dotman seems like they had your binoculars longer than you had them while waiting on replacements glad you got the resolution you wanted. At this point it still seems risky. Of course they make great glass but so do others with far better service track records.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

dotman

WKR
One great customer service manager can make a huge difference but the crappy service record is 10x longer the good service record. Dotman seems like they had your binoculars longer than you had them while waiting on replacements glad you got the resolution you wanted. At this point it still seems risky. Of course they make great glass but so do others with far better service track records.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Yeah they did but it was because they were replacing them with a brand new one that was being built and tested, then it had to cross the pond, they gave me $100 prepaid visa and Swiss Army knife for my troubles including a brand new bino.

My wait wasn’t due to a delay in being repaired.

It’ll take them many years to get out of the crappy record they created for their customer service from the past. Doug did say when he talked to Leica at Shot this was a big focus going forward.

Mt Al

WKR
I've had Leica Trinovids for over 12 years, use them all the time, pretty banged up exterior but the glass is as good as new. I really like my binos, wouldn't necessarily consider them "alphas" in the bino world, but if i had the coin I'd go as high end as you possibly can and never look back. Get the Noctovids!! Just make sure your spouse gets some kind of wardrobe upgrade, nice dinner, spa-thang a day or so before they arrive at your house.

There should be some formula about the real cost of alpha binos for those of us with spouses. Something like TC=BC*(1+AF), where TC = Total Cost, BC = Binocular Cost and AF = Adjustment Factor. AF = .3 when BC is less than $600, .25 when BC is greater than $600 but less than $1200, .2 when BC is greater than $1200 but less than $1800 and, finally, AF is .1 when BC is greater than $1200. The formula proves that the cost of "paying off your wife" isn't directly proportional to the cost of the binocular. It's just common sense...

OP
R

rye_a

Lil-Rokslider
You guys are terrible influences. The optics are inbound, but it looks like my Tikka T3x build is going to have to wait.

Haha you won’t regret it! I’ve heard those noctovids are amazing. What are you doing to your T3x? I have one and am thinking about a new stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
R

rye_a

Lil-Rokslider
I’m looking at adding a Hardy CF drop-in barrel and a Stocky’s Painted CF stock (made by AG components).

Russp17

WKR
Thanks. The only ones I haven't handled are the Trinovids, and I plan to do that today. The SLC and Noctivids are amazing (of course they are compared to the Vipers), and I was really impressed with the Leica's lack of flare/fog when viewing at a close angle to the sun.

I'm not a guide, and I spend ~30 days per year in the field, so I'm a little concerned that the Noctivid is more glass than I need.

I own the trinovoids and I like them better than the SLC. I think the glass is the same and the ergonomics are better. That's my opinion after handling both.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
If I could get a deal on those Noctovids, I would not even hesitate. I tested a pair for a few months last year, you can be assured you will be happy for the rest of your days with them. I’ve had excellent interaction with Leica customer service, Zeiss customer service, and Swarovski customer service. Heck yesterday I had a wonderful experience with Delta customer service coming back from Argentina...maybe the problem with all these folks complaining about customer service is the customer and how they interact?

TheCougar

WKR
Swaro SLCs are the gold standard for a reason, there are no concerns with the warranty, and they are cheaper. I’ve not looked through the Leicas, but I doubt they would beat the SLCs enough to warrant the potential CS issues and the cost.

OP
R

rye_a

Lil-Rokslider
Swaro SLCs are the gold standard for a reason, there are no concerns with the warranty, and they are cheaper. I’ve not looked through the Leicas, but I doubt they would beat the SLCs enough to warrant the potential CS issues and the cost.

I spent time with SLCs, ELs, and Noctivids, and the NVs are definitely on par with (or better than) the ELs for flat image (maintaining focus without adjustment over different distances), light gathering, and edge-to-edge clarity. Considering that I got the NVs for $400 more than the SLC (rather than the $900 difference in list price) I expect to be happy, and I’m going to have to trust the reports that Leica’s customer service has significantly improved. I will report back after spending significant time with them in the field.

TheCougar

WKR
I’m sure you won’t be disappointed in them and I hope they treat you well! Buying great glass is a luxury that makes it hard to buy anything else once you become accustomed to them.